12 in craftsman lathe iufo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 in craftsman lathe iufo

I bought an old 12 in craftsman lathe , no manual.
    It came with a 3 jaw chuck, 2 four jaw chucks and a screw on face plate, I paid 600.00 for it. Tested it and it runs true and has little wear.
    Did I get a good deal?
    If you want total security, go to prison.
    There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on.
    The only thing lacking...
    is freedom. Dwight D. Eisenhower

What model? That's a good price for many machines in the Craftsman lineup.

Comment

If you need manuals & it's Atlas made I assume call Clausing/Atlas in Kalamazoo as they've always e-mail them to me for free 269-345-7155. Good luck!

Comment

Price paid is retail for change gear model. A bargain if it has the quick change gearbox.
        "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

Depends on the condition, which model, what came with it as legs, change gears, milling vise, etc. Might be a steal, fair deal or dud but sounds at least a fair deal until we know more IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
            Depends on the condition, which model, what came with it as legs, change gears, milling vise, etc. Might be a steal, fair deal or dud but sounds at least a fair deal until we know more IMHO.
            The OP said what it came with and that it runs true and has little wear!!
            "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

Didn't say lathe only, on a stand or legs. A set of legs are worth 250, 2 4 jaw chucks, the right chuck may be worth half but I don't know & neither do you unless you have super powers & have Xray vision to Oregon. But I'm sure you're right as you always are
              PS Sorry I gave my opinion as the OP asked, next time I'll refer any questions to our resident expert JEP & resist trying to be helpful by offering MHO.
              Last edited by flylo; 03-09-2015, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Value is regional too. $600 would be a good price down here for a change-gear model. I sure wouldn't sell mine for that. Heck, any thing that runs and has a chuck on it is worth at least a grand in this area. The pickings are sparse.

Comment

It has a quick change gear box also there were two cookie sheets with reamers, end mills and other tools calapers etc.
                  I had a metal base for it.
                  Don't know how to find out the model .

Steve
                  Mill take a pic and post

Comment

Take a look at www.lathes.co.uk/atlas They have a lot of information on the Atlas line

KEN

Comment

You got a great deal, good for you! Clausing/Atlas should be very helpful with manuals & there is a Yahoo Atlas forum. The model # should be on the end of the bed but if not you can ID it on lathes UK as mentioned above.

Comment

Originally posted by steve herman View Post
                        It has a quick change gear box also there were two cookie sheets with reamers, end mills and other tools calapers etc.
                        I had a metal base for it.
                        Don't know how to find out the model .

Steve
                        Mill take a pic and post
                        Sounds like you have a gloat, but doesn't qualify without pix. Atlas put a tag on the end of the tailstock end of the bed.

Comment

That is also a good deal up in my area. On Ebay there is a guy called Ozark Woodworker who has a lot of re prints of manuals, check there also.

Comment

Here are some pix (no tag on of bed, did find # stamped on top of end of bed.

Last edited by steve herman; 03-10-2015, 02:02 AM.

Comment

with all the other stuff you said you got you did real good. and that is coming from the rust belt.

Comment

Working...
                              X