X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "For Sale"

From a thread that got closed:

"Actually, I think it would be good for the members of this forum as well as Village Press to offer a "For Sale" (and maybe also a "Want to buy") section, but only for those who have paid and subscribed to the magazine, and/or for a reasonable advertising fee. Some forums have a "donation" button for those who wish to support it, and I would be happy to pay, say, $20/year and $5/ad. "

Discuss.
    "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Yes, that was my post, and I hope George Bullis might consider it and present it to the owners of the forum.
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

It has been discussed into the ground.
      It is the site owners desire that there is no for sale area.......pretty simple to me.

Comment

There are a few good reasons for it....

1) it avoids involving the site owners in any dispute about deals gone bad. There WILL be some bad deals, stuff that isn't as described, or doesn't work, and VP very reasonably wants to be not involved at all.

2) The magazines have a sales ad section a bit like the newspaper used to have "want ads", so it would be in competition with themselves.

3) It isn't needed, and would be a hassle to manage even aside from reason #1.
        4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Since the owners already have a paid advertising system in their printed magazines, there should be no difference in liability, disputes, income, profitability, or administration. Printed magazines, IMHO, are mostly obsolete, and perhaps especially for younger people who are more comfortable with electronic formats. Sometimes I like to have a printed magazine in my hands to read while I'm outside, in bed, or elsewhere that may not be amenable to using a laptop or tablet or smart phone, but I find this forum to be much more valuable than any printed media. As such, I would be willing to pay the cost of the printed magazine just for the privilege of being able to place and respond to on-line ads from other members. I think it would also boost the readership of this forum, and would improve the effectiveness of ads by reaching a much wider audience.
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by jep24601 View Post
            Discuss.
            Not even worth discussing, IMO. Would quickly turn into an administrative nightmare, having to sort through who subscribes to the magazines and is allowed to post ads and who doesn't and isn't. Following from that, if such a thing were allowed new folks would simply see "For Sale" posts as being allowed and would post theirs regardless of what the rules say (case in point: the thread that sparked this). More administrative nightmare.

Frankly, why should VP create administrative hassles for themselves for something outside their core business that they're not being paid to deal with?

Comment

Really?? It's almost comical. Village Press has been hosting this site for a few years. Freebie for you and I. I have an idea of what it costs to host a web page. I'll bet the cost has come down, but still a Cost.

I am a fan of VP... JR

Comment

Improper copying and posting of Closed Thread

Here we go again - same old ....... same old.

Here is my final post in that "other" thread which George Bulliss rightly closed - and good riddance to it.

This has all the ear-marks of a school-yard "pile on" using the safe-guard of "safety in numbers" in knowing that the posters of some items here are very unlikely to get "hurt".

This has gone on more - a lot more - than is reasonable or necessary and George should "Close" or "Lock" this thread as soon as possible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
                Some who wanted to or did effectively re-open that old thread - and "running sore" - here might be stretching George Bulliss's patience more than a little bit.

In my opinion, George B should close this thread too - post haste - pronto!!.

The "Rules" Under "General at the opening paragraph of the Forum quite clearly set the rules and remind any of them who may have chosen to ignore them:

This forum reserved for general machining discussion. Off topic threads are allowed, but will be closed if they go too far off track or become too numerous. Please add “OT” to the title of any off topic thread. Discussions on religion, politics, or “For Sale” posts are not allowed.
                So if George is to police those rules (approved by VP) he will close this post too.

And good riddance to it.

The "Forum Rules" are copied and repeated and posted here:

The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS RulesAlthough the administrators and moderators of The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this site, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS, nor vBulletin Solutions, Inc. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason.
                [/QUOTE]

Comment

"Actually, I think it would be good for the members of this forum as well as Village Press to offer a "For Sale" (and maybe also a "Want to buy") section, but only for those who have paid and subscribed to the magazine, and/or for a reasonable advertising fee. Some forums have a "donation" button for those who wish to support it, and I would be happy to pay, say, $20/year and $5/ad. "

Discuss.
                  As a test of this premise I turned up a BBS/forum like this that allows all the things this site does not allow including hosting images and a for-sale area. It also has features nobody's complained about not having. F'rinstance, I will create a new forum on any subject anyone wants in a heartbeat. No reasonable request is questioned. You don't need photobucket - I host the images. Lots of complaints about that here. For-sale? Hell yes post your advert.

Despite the fact that anyone is free to use it, nobody does. These whiny complaints about missing services ring hollow.

I challenge anyone to use it and prove that it is better than what we have here. http://metalworkingathome.com/community/

Game on.

Comment

I signed up and waiting for approval. The only thing it seems to lack is activity, which can make or break a forum, actually with too much or too little. I may copy some of my posts from HSM and MEM there, and hopefully others will join as well. It's good to have a "backup" forum. I was active in Cesar Millan's dog forum when it suddenly went dark, but fortunately we were able to revive it temporarily and then one of the members started his own, which is still going strong, although we have occasionally been inundated with spam. He has a button for donations, and every now and then I send $10 or so. I think he spends over $50/month for his dedicated server and forum software updates.

Thanks.
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Discuss.
                      The only discussion need be to discuss the total lack of respect you have for starting another thread on the same topic that George made clear and closed.

George you have my permission to ban anyone that continues to beat this dead horse.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Discuss.
                        Discussion: I'll bet you would be happy to pay $20/year and $5/ad. Consider that the HSM Machinist's Marketplace (text only want ads) cost $60.00 for 20 words and runs in 1 issue. The "commercial" ads with photos (you would expect to post a photo or 4 with your 250 word description, wouldn't you?) cost more.

Yep, I'll bet you would be happy to pay $20/year and $5/ad, but I don't think the print advertisers would share your enthusiasm. Remember, not every reader of the magazine participates on this BBS.

Now, if you were to pay something approaching the magazine rates to advertise here, would you?

$20/year and $5/ad indeed.
                        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Everyone pretty much everywhere have the option to use craigslist for free, pics, description, the whole bit. If you want more crowd and are willing to pay ebay is a great option.

The rules here are the rules here, this topic has been posted and talked about many times. It just can't happen no matter what ideas you have in your head.
                          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by BigMike782 View Post
                            It has been discussed into the ground.
                            It is the site owners desire that there is no for sale area.......pretty simple to me.
                            Am I missing something? I see 3 for sale ads every time I sign on to this forum - paid outsiders.
                            One also has to wonder why all the objections to free for sale ads for forum members does not seem
                            to bother the owners/moderators of the Model Engineer magazine forum.

I apologize to George - who seems to have a lot of policemen among the forum members - if I have
                            done something agaist the forum rules in copying and posting from a closed thread but the post
                            In question not only had some merit but was also substantially unrelated to the gist of the posts
                            In the rest of the thread.

The suggestion of one member that I be banned from the forum is just an indication of the ready
                            intolerance which tends to be demonstrated in the anonimity of the internet.
                            Last edited by jep24601; 03-21-2015, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                              Everyone pretty much everywhere have the option to use craigslist for free, pics, description, the whole bit. If you want more crowd and are willing to pay ebay is a great option.

The rules here are the rules here, this topic has been posted and talked about many times. It just can't happen no matter what ideas you have in your head.
                              And is one of the rules that the rules should not be discussed?

Comment

Working...
                              X