No announcement yet.

Central Machinery model 46915 13 x 40 Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one of the green 4 x 6 HF saws that is probably ten or so years old. I bought it from a salvage store that carried a lot of HF tools that may have been customer returns, items damaged in freight, or factory rejects. This saw was a mess and may have been a factory reject because the pivot holes for the blade carriage were out of alignment. They were so far off, that with the carriage fully lowered, the blade missed the gap in the table by 1/8 ". At any rate, the saw looked bad enough that nobody was interested in it, so the store finally marked it down to 90% off just as I happened to be looking at it. At that time HF was selling these saws for $199.00 which made it a 2 buck buy. MINE!!.
    The repair required a complete tear down, to re-bore and bush the pivot shaft holes. While it was apart, the gear box was cleaned out to remove all the gritty grease. During a trial run, the blade would not stay on the wheels, and the wheel tilt adjustment was all loosey-goosey and had no effect. The adjusting mechanism was reworked and once done, the blade tracked and stayed on the wheels. After all that the saw worked perfectly. A bimetal blade was installed for obvious reasons, and the saw has been a joy to use ever since. Then, on a hot, Mississippi summer day, I managed to work it beyond it's duty cycle, and smoked the motor. My fault! When it cooled down, I tore the motor apart, and found the plastic fan had melted and the plastic gummed up the shaft bushings. Just for grins, I cleaned it up the melted plastic, oiled the bushings, and to my surprise, the motor ran on the bench. It's still going strong, but needs a push to get it started (start windings gone?). Since the motor's fan is no longer with us, I keep a small fan blowing on it when it's in use. One day I may spring for a new motor, but for now it does just fine. Not bad for an original purchase of $1.99. One other mod was to the wobbly stand. A couple lengths of 1/2" conduit were bolted between the front and rear legs to stiffen them up which made a world of difference. They also serve as a support for a baking pan that makes a nice chip collector. I could have bought a better saw, but look at the fun I would have missed out on.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

If you got it for $2 that was way below even scrap value! 90% off $200 would be $20, and still a heck of a deal, even if just for the parts.

There are many things that are thrown out because of minor problems or even just for style or convenience. I've done some very profitable dumpster diving, although very often I never get around to fixing or even using most of the stuff that just looked "too good to be trashed". Unfortunately, most of us live in a disposable society where much of the economy is actually based on obsolescence and changes in style and the relentless advertising that pushes the paradigm of "new is better". Most people probably do not have the skills and time to fix even the simplest things, yet they get bored during their free time and look to various mind-numbing entertainment options rather than exercising their minds and bodies repairing things.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Paul, Wow! Looks like age is affecting more than my memory with the percentage I quoted. The math seems to have taken a hit as well. At any rate, the saw was a bargain, although if I counted my time invested in it, maybe not so much.
        I'd rather build a Rube Goldberg contraption than play a video game, any day.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

I agree with Radkins. I have the same HF 14x40 lathe and have no issues with it. I also have 3 monarch 10ees and actually use the HF more often as it holds bigger stuff and has the accuracy I need for my farm stuff. If I recall I paid around $2400 to my door and have easily made that back in repairs.

Comment

The owner said he bought it new ten years ago, to make the hubs and a few other parts for a replica 1902 Ford Quadraped he was building. He said he really didn't know how to run it, but his dad who was a retired machinist helped him with it. He also said that it had not been used since. The pictures he sent looked good, but I was leery of the sales pitch. I just had to see it in person, so I bit the bullet and made the trip. I'm glad I did too, because it looked better than it had in the pictures. I have to believe his story too, because it had some chips in the pan that were imbedded in solidified oil. That mess had to have been there for a long time. It was hard, like varnish or shellac. Also, several of the accessories that shipped with the machine had never been taken out of the original wax paper and cosmoline, and the 4 jaw chuck was still in the original banded box. Needless to say, it followed me home. I got lucky in one other respect too. Based on the lathes specs, I had figured that it would have to sit partially on my truck's tail gate, but it fit with the gate closed. It was tight with no room to spare. The truck rode a lot better with 1237 lbs. in the bed too. If anyone cares to see pics I will post them as soon as I figure out how to do it.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

You should know the rules here, pictures are required! No pictures, it didn't happen!

Unless I missed it I don't think you mentioned the asking price? However unless you just anted up the price of a new one or even more then it's quite likely you got a bargain, looking forward to seeing this thing as we all like to see someone's new pet when they acquire one.

Comment

I've tried several times without success, to add pictures to the post. The directions say: "To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread." I do not see a button named "Post Reply" If someone will tell me what I'm missing, I will gladly post the pics.
                The asking price was $2000 and I didn't argue with it.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

This forum does not allow attachments to the posts, whether files or pictures. You must have the images hosted elsewhere (www.tinypic.com, Photobucket, or your own web server), and use the link for pictures. More info is in the sticky topic.
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Thanks Paul, Let's see how this goes from my PB account:
                    On the ground now my nerves can relax

In the garage awaiting cleaning and a permanent location.

The base pedestals

4jaw chuck still in it's original box
                    Last edited by Dave C; 03-28-2015, 11:23 AM.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

No matter how you look at it that's pretty much a brand new 13x40 lathe, IMO the price was reasonable since a comparable (but slightly different) version from grizzly is slightly over twice that plus shipping. A somewhat heavier 13x40 from Enco, their only offering in that size, is a little over $5000 plus shipping so a new 13x40 lathe is going to cost at least twice as much as you paid and yours is indeed new even if it has sit around and collected a bit of dust.

Dust/grime will wash off, a higher price will not!

Comment

More stuff that came with it

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by radkins View Post
                          No matter how you look at it that's pretty much a brand new 13x40 lathe, IMO the price was reasonable since a comparable (but slightly different) version from grizzly is slightly over twice that plus shipping. A somewhat heavier 13x40 from Enco, their only offering in that size, is a little over $5000 plus shipping so a new 13x40 lathe is going to cost at least twice as much as you paid and yours is indeed new even if it has sit around and collected a bit of dust.

Dust/grime will wash off, a higher price will not!
                          Thanks radkins, I feltgood about the price, but always good to get an opinion from someone who is not looking at it with wide eyes.
                          I thought posting the pics as thumbnails was a good idea until I saw what it takes to see them in full size. I know better now.
                          Last edited by Dave C; 03-28-2015, 01:26 PM.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

I think you did good.

Recommend you get a wedge-style Quick Change Tool Post (QCTP) and ditch the four way tool post asap.

Comment

Originally posted by tmarks11 View Post
                              I think you did good.

Recommend you get a wedge-style Quick Change Tool Post (QCTP) and ditch the four way tool post asap.
                              That is the first accessory on my wish list.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Yesterday I did a little inspecting. Removed the covers from the drive section and the headstock to check belts, gears etc. Everything looked good. No worn or missing teeth, and everything moves as it should. I did discover one problem though, I don't know anything about change gears. The chart on the machine tells which gears to use for each thread, but this is something I have never faced before. I have some studying to do.

Ok, got it. With the chart posted on here where I could get a good look at it, it's pretty simple.
                                Last edited by Dave C; 03-30-2015, 03:07 PM.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                                X