• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave C
    replied
    Originally posted by Matty View Post
    Hello,

Matty from NC here. I also have a 14 X 40 Central Machinery lathe and love it. I need a set of change gears. Mine are worn. Besides HF is there any one who handles these parts?

MM
    You wont get parts from HF, but you might get what you need from Grizzly. I'm told that some of their machines come from the same factory as the HF ones. Talk to a sales tech and tell him/her what you need.

Leave a comment:

• Matty
    replied
    Hello,

Matty from NC here. I also have a 14 X 40 Central Machinery lathe and love it. I need a set of change gears. Mine are worn. Besides HF is there any one who handles these parts?

MM

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    The evidence points to the lathe being crashed at some point. Not a rare occurrence for someone in learning mode. Since we are confessing our clumsy bastard moments, I'll admit to almost wrecking the lathe while getting it off my truck. I was in a hurry to get it inside because rain was on the way. I had the lathe slung from my shop crane with the boom extended to reach the balance point. When I pulled the crane back, I didn't realize that the machine was not completely off the truck's bed. When it cleared the tailgate, the crane started tipping forward, and the lathe would have crashed to the ground had I not been able to jump on the back of the crane to add my weight and get it stabilized. Then, when I let the boom all the way down, the lathe was was still a foot off the ground. I had to perform some gymnastics to make the crane tip slowly and not drop that last foot all at once. Definitely got my heart rate up.

Leave a comment:

• radkins
    replied
    Somehow I missed both discussions, both are quite interesting. Looks like your lathe suffered a major crash early on but since you got it repaired ok it seems the story ends well. Both of the failures my lathe has suffered were also due to unfortunate occurrences, such as the time I broke the engagement control by backing into the darn thing with my truck (I know John, clumsy bastard!) but that's just part of life I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Originally posted by radkins View Post
    So it's been a year now, how's that lathe working out?

My HF lathe has been in full use since 2008 and it's still doing just fine, I suppose since it was sold by HF I expect (not!) that it will fall apart into a big heap just any day now or at least that's what I was warned about by the folks who told me I was making a mistake buying it from HF!
    So far it's been pretty good. It had some minor electrical issues that didn't effect it's operation, but my OCD wouldn't let them go unfixed. The back splash had a broken weld in one corner. It was only tacked by the factory and probably came apart when we loading it. A little time with the mig fixed the broken weld, and thanks to the help of folks on this forum, I got the indicator lights working again. More on that here: bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/66711-LED-Power-indicator-light/

The biggest issue didn't show up until I attempted to single point a thread. The longitudinal carriage movement was a herky-jerky process that turned out to be caused by two things. One being collapsed roll pins that attach the lead screws to their sockets. The other was a bent shaft/pinion gear that engages the rack below the ways, and moves the carriage along the ways. The fix required several hours work, but turned out better than expected. bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/67511-How-am-I-going-to-fix-this/page3/
    I added some felt under the way wipers for oil retention and actual way wiping, and made a nut and handle for the tool post.

The biggest issue I have now is finding the time to use the lathe. I don't know how I ever had time for working before i retired.

Leave a comment:

• radkins
    replied
    So it's been a year now, how's that lathe working out?

My HF lathe has been in full use since 2008 and it's still doing just fine, I suppose since it was sold by HF I expect (not!) that it will fall apart into a big heap just any day now or at least that's what I was warned about by the folks who told me I was making a mistake buying it from HF!

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Thanks Oldguy, I have the operation instruction manual. If you have something else I would love to have a copy. Anything with more info would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Dave C; 02-21-2016, 01:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Oldguy
    replied
    I realize this is an old post. If the lathe in question is actually a #46951, I have a PDF copy of the manual. If you would like a copy, let me know.

Glenn

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    The threads a year old but no way you'll get parts from Horror Fright.

Leave a comment:

• Larry W
    replied
    Dave,
    I have had a 13 x 36 Central Machinery lathe for 14 years. I've had no major problems. You may still be able to get parts if you have a manual and part number. Not sure. I would open the gear case to check for worn or broken gears etc.
    I always had mine lubed well and not steady use. Maybe 20 hours a week for a few years. Now Snow Birding in the Winter so bought an old Leblond 13 x 72. Had to rebuild the cross slide nut/acme rod. Not a big deal. Had a backup lathe to do the turning. Made my own acme LH nut from Acetyl scrap. Had to buy the rod material and a LH 5/8 8 tap. I will have manual when I return for the Summer if you still need it.
    Darn there I go bragging. But isn't it nice when these things turn out well.

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Yesterday I did a little inspecting. Removed the covers from the drive section and the headstock to check belts, gears etc. Everything looked good. No worn or missing teeth, and everything moves as it should. I did discover one problem though, I don't know anything about change gears. The chart on the machine tells which gears to use for each thread, but this is something I have never faced before. I have some studying to do.

Ok, got it. With the chart posted on here where I could get a good look at it, it's pretty simple.
    Last edited by Dave C; 03-30-2015, 03:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Originally posted by tmarks11 View Post
    I think you did good.

Recommend you get a wedge-style Quick Change Tool Post (QCTP) and ditch the four way tool post asap.
    That is the first accessory on my wish list.

Leave a comment:

• tmarks11
    replied
    I think you did good.

Recommend you get a wedge-style Quick Change Tool Post (QCTP) and ditch the four way tool post asap.

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Originally posted by radkins View Post
    No matter how you look at it that's pretty much a brand new 13x40 lathe, IMO the price was reasonable since a comparable (but slightly different) version from grizzly is slightly over twice that plus shipping. A somewhat heavier 13x40 from Enco, their only offering in that size, is a little over $5000 plus shipping so a new 13x40 lathe is going to cost at least twice as much as you paid and yours is indeed new even if it has sit around and collected a bit of dust.

Dust/grime will wash off, a higher price will not!
    Thanks radkins, I feltgood about the price, but always good to get an opinion from someone who is not looking at it with wide eyes.
    I thought posting the pics as thumbnails was a good idea until I saw what it takes to see them in full size. I know better now.
    Last edited by Dave C; 03-28-2015, 01:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    More stuff that came with it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X