Central Machinery model 46915 13 x 40 Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Machinery model 46915 13 x 40 Lathe

I'm contemplating buying this Central Machinery model 46915, 13 x 40 Lathe. However, checking it out will require a day long round trip. I'd rather not chance driving that far without some prior knowledge of the machine. Harbor Freight no longer sells or has manuals for this lathe. A manual would be a big help in determining if this machine will fit my needs. If anyone can share their experience with this model, and/or knows where a manual can be downloaded, I would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Generic Chinese lathe, from HF, take what you want from that but generally considered a bottom feeder. The larger the Chinese equipment gets then it usually get better quality, 13" is better then 12" which is better then a 10" etc., but that can vary from different manufacturers. I have a 13 x 40 Chinese lathe, not from HF and it is OK.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
      Generic Chinese lathe, from HF, take what you want from that but generally considered a bottom feeder. The larger the Chinese equipment gets then it usually get better quality, 13" is better then 12" which is better then a 10" etc., but that can vary from different manufacturers. I have a 13 x 40 Chinese lathe, not from HF and it is OK.
      Agreed. I am told that this one is made in Taiwan, so I hope it is better than most HF junk.
      I apologize for my noobie error putting this thread in the General forum.
      Last edited by Dave C; 03-21-2015, 11:31 AM.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
        Agreed. I am told that this one is made in Taiwan, so I hope it is better than most HF junk.
        I apologize for my noobie error putting this thread in the General forum.
        No need to apologize or consider yourself in error... General is a good place for the thread.

If you've got a HF nearby, you could probably get a good idea of what one of their lathes can handle. I don't have any experience with the lathe, but would suggest you take a look at a few of the generic "how to buy a lathe" sites which will give you a good idea what to look for.

Comment

Check out the Yahoo groups dedicated to these machines, there are some surprising facts there! I have owned a HF 14x40 for almost 6 years now and have used it almost daily for mining, logging and farm equipment repair, this thing has never let me down and has done everything I have asked of it. As I have mentioned in other threads it is IDENTICAL in every way to the Enco 14x40 a buddy of mine has except for the color and talking with the people on the Yahoo site dedicated to these machines, folks who actually own and use them as opposed to someone who will bash anything from HF regardless of what it is, you will find they are of as good a quality as any other Chinese made machine. Not surprising since they come from the same factories, some folks will want you to believe there is a guy who walks around the factory selecting junk machines to sell at HF and if you want to believe that BS then it's your loss. My 14x40 sold for nearly $1500 less than the Enco version and using a discount coupon I saved even more than that but there has been absolutely ZERO difference in quality between these two lathes!

An interesting side-note that has been mentioned here and on other sites in the past is that back when HF still sold these bigger machines the 14x40 like mine came with a Birmingham YCL1440 manual/parts list and the web site linked to the Birmingham manual for parts, go figure that one!

Check out this site and scroll down to page 12 where they have an article on buying a lathe, they picture the very lathe you are asking about and not only have info on that but they also address the HF quality of these larger machines vs other brands of the same thing, quite and eye opener!

http://www.rimworld.com/tripoligerla...2014-04-03.pdf

The larger machines at HF were a far cry from the junk they had made specifically for the stores, that's the tool shaped objects that we all love to bash, but the larger machines just like the few brand names they sell are the same as those sold anywhere else. I have several times in the past told of my first lathe buying experience where I heeded the advice to spend the extra money to get the "real" brands as opposed to the "look alikes" at HF with the result being I paid nearly $1200 (actually more with sales tax) for my Jet 9x20 since everyone told me to get the JET "quality". Well I did and passed up the HF version that sold for only $599 when on sale (which was quite often!), I mean for that price difference the HF had to junk right? WRONG! Some time later I traded some items in the shop for HF 9x20 and I quickly leaned there was absolutely no difference what-so-ever vs the Jet except the color and what I paid for the darn thing! The Jet was never impressive, it had the same cheesy soft screws, etc as the HF machine and was of no quality advantage in any way as it had the same identical parts and swapping parts between the two was as easy as if they were the same machine -which they were! Wasting my money on that experience is what made me go with HF on my 14x40 and talking with others who own these machines I hear the same thing over and over, I was not alone! The point of this long post is don't be swayed by the non-sense from the HF bashers who equate these with HF's so-called hand tools, there is a definite difference and even with the used versions of these machines passing up a good deal because of a quality myth is a mistake, there is no difference in quality and those of us who own and use these machines are very much aware of this.
          Last edited by radkins; 03-21-2015, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdropper View Post
            No need to apologize or consider yourself in error... General is a good place for the thread.

If you've got a HF nearby, you could probably get a good idea of what one of their lathes can handle. I don't have any experience with the lathe, but would suggest you take a look at a few of the generic "how to buy a lathe" sites which will give you a good idea what to look for.
            Thanks puckdropper. Harbor Freight is nearby, but they no longer sell the bigger machines. Their staff was in grade school when these machines were sold, and are clueless about them.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Don't have that particular model but have two 12x36 HF lathes that have been in daily service for 12 years now. They are decent lathes other than the electrics -- motor, switches, relays all weak as SOP on Chinese machinery.

You can find manuals at the Grizzly site, basically the same machine made at the same factory.

Is it as good as a Monarch? No, but it's a decent machine, perfectly acceptable for the home shop.

Is everything adjusted and lubricated when you receive it? No, it'll be in cosmoline and the thrust bearings on the cross slide may need adjustment to minimize backlash.

Is there support from HF? No, but there's not much to go wrong other than the electric stuff.

Run the factory electrics until they fail, then upgrade to 3ph & VFD.

Comment

Dave, I have the Wholesale Tool 13x40. It is identical to the ENCO one a friend has.
                It has worked well for several years. Not a first tier lathe, IMO, but very satisfactory for HSM work that I do.
                Farm equipment repair, Amateur radio doo-dads, and misc. I am adding a VFD and 3 phase motor since about 60 rpm is the low speed.
                That is too fast for me and some threads.
                John Burchett
                in Byng OK

Comment

A lot of the Grizzly stuff is made just for them to their specs and while a lot of the major components are usually identical a lot of other parts of similar machines can be different. Enco and a host of other sellers just sell the same generic machines as HF and others, if they look identical right down to the controls, etc then they come from the same assembly line but get a sprayed a different color. These machines can be used as parts references, a screaming example is the HF 14x40 that came with the YCL1440 manuals! I also found a replacement Jib wedge at Enco when I accidentally broke mine by not paying attention when reassembling the cross-slide that had been disassembled during repainting of the lathe, nothing on ANY of these Chinese machines is cheaper or less durable than the paint!

Comment

I bought a new 13x40 HF lathe for $1200 & a benchtop mill for $500 right before I broke my back so 7 years ago. Sold them both to the same guy who has had problems when using the lathe as it shuts off even when not load. IMHO they are useable but plan on poor electrics & no parts support & maybe no parts availabilty. When I rebought instead of Michigan being the Winter Wonderland it was the Machnery Wonderland. We all know that quality American machines are much better than chinese & taiwan made machines if in the same condition but it may serve your purpose well, it's a roll of the dice buying used with longer odds buying used imports IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                      We all know that quality American machines are much better than chinese & taiwan made machines if in the same condition but it may serve your purpose well, it's a roll of the dice buying used with longer odds buying used imports IMHO.
                      Make no mistake about that! There simply is no real comparison between a Monarch etc, vs a Chinese machine of similar size but I doubt many folks would think that anyway. Rather the comparisons are being made here to identical machines of various colors that obviously are built at the same factories and that point can be very important. A good sales pitch and a fancy paint scheme can make all the difference for profits when selling a machine but that fancy paint doesn't make it run any better nor does the name sticker as some of us found out the hard way!

If it comes down to American/European vs Chinese of any brand then assuming the "old iron" is in good condition and has the necessary features then there simply is no choice to be made, the Chinese will lose every time! Sometime however features, condition, size and just availability will be the determining factor and this becomes more of a factor every day as the supply of good used "old iron" machines dries up. The Chinese machine vs American/European does not have to be "old Iron" quality or nothing as most of the Chinese from 12x36 on up are of decent serviceable quality and are quite often a better buy than a worn out industrial quality machine without the desirable features, it has to be considered that if the work won't fit the machine then the quality of that machine does not matter!
                      Last edited by radkins; 03-21-2015, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Here is the generic manual for it.
                        http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310386614401

Comment

I hope we didn't confuse you but there is not a solid answer without seeing the machines condition & knowing your needs. The good part is you're not married to it & if you buy it right you can sell it if you decide you need something else. Good luck & welcome to the "just one more machine club"

Comment

I agree with Flylo about not being able to give a definitive answer without seeing a particular machine, my point was that Chinese is Chinese no matter who's name is on it, there are some really decent ones and then there are some that may not be so good but the name plate is hardly an indicator. The worth of any particular Chinese machine depends on it's condition and the tooling that comes with it if any, point was don't automatically diss it because it came from HF instead of Enco or some other company selling the same machine but in a different color.

Comment

Do you know the year it was manufactured? What is the asking price? You have any pictures?

All things that would help us advise you on whether or not to make the drive.

I don't believe I have ever heard that HF sold machinery that was manufactured in Taiwan.

Comment

Working...
                              X