No announcement yet.

Were can I find this material??? (not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect the person in question is not an English major. The phrase, "Tig welded Aluminum angle iron" can be taken two ways. It can mean that the angle iron must be constructed of two aluminum flats that are Tig welded into the angle shape. OR it can mean that the construction must use readily available, aluminum angle that is assembled using Tig welding.

I would suggest that you ask for a clarification. But I very strongly suspect the second meaning.

And, considering the labor involved, the price would be a lot more for the first meaning.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Of course the fellow just wants the box frame to be made of Aluminum angle and he wants nice neat looking joints as these trailers are to be offered for sale after he installs his own panels. Over the years I have learned to know what folks want as opposed to how they say it as I suppose most everyone here has also!

Comment

I only like to TIG stick aluminum angle iron, there is no other better process. Gas MIG leaves the solder to dark.
        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
          So what should I call one of these?

Well, it doesn't appear to be "Billet" but is does look "Aerodynamic" so it must be military grade

Steve

Comment

A stealth iron
            Is that so she can iron clothes without being seen on radar?

Comment

[QUOTE=adatesman;974680]Surely you guys have heard of aluminum structural shapes? Agreed that calling it "aluminum angle iron" is a bit silly, but it's pretty clear what they mean.

I havent any idea what "you mean" I can only read "what you wrote". :-)
              ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                So what should I call one of these?

A flatiron. .
                ...lew...

Comment

years ago the state of NM made big flotsam traps out of angle iron to put in the irrigation channels that parallel the Rio Grande. when the locals needed big angle iron they went down to the channel and stole a flotsam trap. ergo, angle iron came to be called channel iron, because that't where you went to get some.

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                    A flatiron. .
                    ...lew...
                    I did a project in college, we had to identify waste and come up with a costing for it, locally, nationally and internationally, lots of graphs, you know the crap, anyway I hate ironing, refuse to iron anything unless tortured so needed a justification for it.
                    It turns out that half a dozen power plants could just close as the demand for power to flatten clothes is astronomical, the things suck 2 kW over here, x population of 70 million, is mind boggling!
                    Is the sole plate an aluminium flat iron, that's what it's made of.
                    Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by radkins View Post
                      He insisted the trailer frames be TIG welded due to the neat appearance,
                      He has clearly never seen MY attempts at TIG welding!

Comment

You know, i just read about a new alloy of iron, aluminum and nickel that's supposed to be as strong and light as titanium but at a fraction of the cost. Perhaps he's totally on top of the latest metallurgical research?

Comment

The issue is that requisoners are not engineers. Thus they don't know the correct terminology. I would think aluminum angle that is tig welded together. They did not say structural shape, thus aluminum angle comes with square corner also.

Best bet is to ask for clarification.

Comment

Aluminum angle is what it is usually called. Tube Service Co has a bunch of locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                              A flatiron. .
                              ...lew...
                              I dont think there is much iron in it at all!

Comment

Angle iron is a misnomer in itself- should be angle steel.
                                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                                X