No announcement yet.

Were can I find this material??? (not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were can I find this material??? (not)

I got an order to build three box utility trailers for a local business, the specs call for the box frame to be built of "Tig welded Aluminum angle iron".

Ok where does one find Aluminum angle iron?????

The really funny thing is this is not the first time I have head this, just curious how common it is for some folks to say this sort of thing. I even had a fellow tell me the Russian ammo he bought for his AK47 was non-reloadable because it was loaded in steel brass!

Perhaps it's a new material we have not seen yet!, btw I have come across aluminium coated steel, used by Bosal in thier exhaust systems, lead coated steel, aka terne plate for petrol tanks but Ali angle iron, well I'm surprised they don't make trailers out of brass.
    I got an order for a trailer, waiting for phenolic faced ply to arrive, I don't think I'll order the Ali iron, I'll stick to steel box section
    Mark

Comment

"Ok where does one find Aluminum angle iron????? "

It's actually very common...the material is generally known as Unobtainium, and it's everywhere!
      David Kaiser
      “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
      ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by 38_Cal View Post
        "Ok where does one find Aluminum angle iron????? "

It's actually very common...the material is generally known as Unobtainium, and it's everywhere!
        Yes I am aware of that, it seems every time I have needed something lately it's made from that!

Comment

Is that the Aircraft Grade Billet Aluminum Angle Iron or the Military Grade Billet Aluminum Angle Iron?
          Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

Surely you guys have heard of aluminum structural shapes? Agreed that calling it "aluminum angle iron" is a bit silly, but it's pretty clear what they mean.

Comment

Now you know why you got the order to build the trailers, they could not source the aluminum angle iron themselves.

This reminds me of the time I bought a set of used aluminum wheels, the guy told me that the wheels were a bit rusty but that they would clean up with a little work. Really, must have been made from melted down aluminum angle iron.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by adatesman View Post
                Surely you guys have heard of aluminum structural shapes? Agreed that calling it "aluminum angle iron" is a bit silly, but it's pretty clear what they mean.

Sure I use Aluminum angle for lots of things I just found it a bit comical for someone to call it Aluminum angle iron, especially since it happens more than this one instance. I have also heard, more than once, someone ask about a part "is that made from Aluminum or metal"? I get that one occasionally when they discover how light a small utility trailer of another type is that I sometimes build, it's painted Aluminum angle construction. I understand that folks not in the "business" mostly don't understand the terminology but Aluminum angle IRON should be kind of self explanatory as should "steel brass" when referring to those cartridges. In any case this is not in any way a gripe or a rant but rather just a bit of comical discussion I thought someone else might get a kick out of and it's all done in jest.

Obviously most folks are so accustomed to calling the extremely common iron angle stock "angle iron" that it has almost become a generic name for any structural material in an angle shape. Same for the cartridges, it's so common for the cases to be referred to simply as brass some folks don't even think of calling them cases, thus the "brass" (meaning case) becomes "steel brass" if the case is made of steel.

Originally posted by browne92
                Is that the Aircraft Grade Billet Aluminum Angle Iron or the Military Grade Billet Aluminum Angle Iron?
                I suppose in this case it's just the simple iron Aluminum since Aircraft Aluminum strength is not needed, Billet Aluminum, as everyone already knows, is some of the toughest metal that can be found and Aircraft Billet was the strongest metal known to man until that new Military grade was invented!

Comment

Originally posted by radkins View Post
                  "Tig welded Aluminum angle iron".
                  Doesn't that actually mean that you must take two pieces of aluminum iron bar stock and TIG weld them into an angle?
                  Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Originally posted by KJ1I View Post
                    Doesn't that actually mean that you must take two pieces of aluminum iron bar stock and TIG weld them into an angle?
                    He insisted the trailer frames be TIG welded due to the neat appearance, I bet that Aluminum angle iron is some REALLY neat looking stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by radkins View Post
                      He insisted the trailer frames be TIG welded due to the neat appearance, ...............

Yes so true, just look at this unsightly aluminum mig work.

Another misconception. He should have just specified what he was after rather than specifing a procedure that is dependent on the skill of the operator. I've seen some pretty hideous looking aluminum tig beads. Tig is not a guarantee to a neat appearance. The weldor is.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Tell him you can get explosively bonded Aluminum/Steel angle iron no problem,only the correct name for it is Cantaffordium alloy.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Look under aluminium extrusions.

MBB

Comment

Here, in the recycling plant, they say iron scrap and metal scrap. Iron for ferrous and metal for all the others.
                            Helder Ferreira
                            Setubal, Portugal

Comment

So what should I call one of these?

Comment

Working...
                              X