nope.. they are admitted as patients

Leave a comment:

• radkins
    replied
    Originally posted by boslab View Post
    Perhaps it's made of billet, oh no I used the b word
    Psychiatrists use this site for training
    Mark
    And after they have been here a while they change careers.

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    Perhaps it's made of billet, oh no I used the b word
    Psychiatrists use this site for training
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• radkins
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
    Lots of misnomers in our trade/hobby
    Ask our metal suppliers and they have stories too.
    Usually you never use the the word "Steel" or stainless
    You say "1018 Flat" or " 4140-A -3""Round" or even "304 3/4" Rod" when talking to these guys
    I have mentioned this one here before and it may be only a local thing but if so it's widely "local"! That is calling bar stock "cold rolled", not sure how this got started and the first I heard of it was well over thirty years ago but to this day if you walk into anyplace that sells steel and mining supplies and ask for a piece of 1" cold rolled 10' long (for example) they will get you a piece of 1" bar stock 10' long! EVERYONE at any mine locally called bar stock "cold rolled" and I can't ever remember it being called anything else, I thought that too was comical the first time I heard it but after a while I just had to roll with the flow so folks would know what I was talking about.

Leave a comment:

• Carm
    replied
    There could be another reason he spec'd TIG. I've seen a couple of welding rigs that guys built out of 'looney when gas got expensive. Welded with spoolgun. Nice looking 'til you get close, lots of cracking.

Leave a comment:

• QSIMDO
    replied
    OK guys, that's enough.

Which one of us hasn't stood there with a dumb look on their face because they couldn't REMEMBER what to call something?

Yeah...ha? Right?

Leave a comment:

• Carm
    replied
    Originally posted by vpt View Post
    In France do you order french fries or just fries? Do they have American fries in France?
    Pommes frites
    frites Americain ? (fried American)

Leave a comment:

• Rich Carlstedt
    replied
    Lots of misnomers in our trade/hobby
    Ask our metal suppliers and they have stories too.
    Usually you never use the the word "Steel" or stainless
    You say "1018 Flat" or " 4140-A -3""Round" or even "304 3/4" Rod" when talking to these guys

Probably the most mis-used name for us, is when you hear "Toolroom Lathe"to describe the tool when really they mean
    a term you never hear today...that of "Engine Lathe"
    ( A proper Tool Room Lathe has a Leadscrew threading kick-out clutch ...something almost never seen today !)

Rich

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    replied
    Speaking of rush hour traffic. The phrase stop and go traffic, shouldn't it be go and stop traffic?

Leave a comment:

• radkins
    replied
    Our language is filled with curious and often contradictory phrases, such as "RUSH" hour to describe stalled traffic due to overcrowding. After all is traffic sitting stalled on the freeway "rushing" anywhere? Not at all but still we all know what the phrase means, everyone wants to "rush" someplace even if they are just sitting there stuck in a traffic jam.

And then of course we drive our cars on parkways and when we arrive home we park them in the driveway.

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    In France do you order french fries or just fries? Do they have American fries in France?

Leave a comment:

• goose
    replied
    I get the joke but I really don't find it all that hysterically funny. "Angle iron" is just a misnomer in this case. Kind of like calling a crinkle cut fry a French fry, even though that technically only applies to a French cut.

Just a colloquial use of the term, but we all know what was meant.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
    So what should I call one of these?

A hand press!

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    Angle iron is a misnomer in itself- should be angle steel.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
    A flatiron. .
    ...lew...
    I dont think there is much iron in it at all!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X