Acu-Rite VRO with malfunctioning buttons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krutch
    • Jan 2010

Acu-Rite VRO with malfunctioning buttons.

I have an Acu-Rite V300 that has developed a problem with responding to button pushing. The axis zero is achieved by pushing the particular button twice but the display won't respond until it wants to. Takes several pushing and acts sporadically. In fact most other buttons are acting the same. I have yet to contact Acu-Rite about this issue and wonder if any one may know if the buttons might need cleaned with electrical contact spray. The unit works OK but for the seeming slow or ignoring button commands. This unit has not had a lot of use, mostly sitting idle not powered up. So it has not sat overheated. Moisture may have gotten in during one of the tsunami events through the shop, though the water level never got that high. Have not had any issue until this just developed.
    I'm not in a hurry to open this unit (it is not under warranty) nor do I need the expense of sending it out for repair. Hoping someone here has a clue to what the problem is or at least maybe the quick cure. Hate to spend a bunch of $ if it is something I might fix myself.
    Thanks for any help or smart a** answers. All appreciated.
    Krutch
    Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!
  • lakeside53
    • Nov 2007

Are they "tactile" (actual switches) or rubber buttons. If rubber... take the DRO apart and carefully clean the circuit board where the rubber contacts it. I use rubbing alcohol.

Comment

• gld
      • Jul 2004

I fixed a similar problem by just unplugging the ribbon cable from the key pad and plugging back in.

It was an Acu-Rite unit.
      Gary Davison
      Tarkio, Mo.

Comment

• krutch
        • Jan 2010

Thanks guys, I'll try both methods. I noticed, after posting the thread and the next day, that the zero buttons (all rubber type BTW) seem to be working better but not as they should.
        I think Electric contact cleaner spray might work best as it leaves no residue. May use a Q-Tip to apply so the spray doesn't harm other components.

Lakeside, I've done your example with TV controllers and calculators with limited success.
        Last edited by krutch; 03-27-2015, 03:18 PM.
        Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

Working...
        X