Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thomas Versatile Dividing Head - Any interest in Stainless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Versatile Dividing Head - Any interest in Stainless?

I have a need for a very compact Stainless Dividing Head. In conversations, I was directed to Thomas' VDH as an example and the idea was proposed to speak with Gary at Martin Model about the possibility of casting some in Stainless, rather than CI. Gary has been very helpful and is actually very open to the idea. The bottom line is that Gary requires at least 5 committed people to place orders before he'll have them poured. ( with 10 being a more desirable number for him ) We've Three people committed already, needing only Two more to move forward. I thought there might be people here that may have interest in such an endeavor, so am posting it here as well.

So... Any interest...?

This is the text of Gary's email to me -

----------------
    10 sets of castings each set would be $190 plus $13 shipping for a total of $203.
    5 sets of castings, each set would be $220 plus $13 shipping for a total of $233

I need to have at least 5 commitments with the money paid up front to produce. It would take minimum of one month turnaround. If I received orders for 7 or 8, I would go ahead and have 10 cast, put the extra in stock, and refund $30 to each customer.

The drawings and directions showing how to build the VDH are in George Thomas' book "Workshop Techniques" I will cut the price for the book to $50 for anyone who doesn't already own a copy. I DO NOT provide separate drawings for the VDH apart from this book.

Gary Martin
    Martin Model & Pattern
    PO Box 19792
    Portland OR 97280

-----------------

Why SS. There is a reason for using cast iron other than it's cheap, it's rigid. SS can flex some.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
      Why SS.
      Corrosion resistance.

Comment

You might consider the Phil Duclos model maker's dividing head. The plans are in The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos. It is scratchbuilt of barstock, compact and can be built of any material desired.
        Jim H.

Comment

Thanks Jim. I appreciate the suggestion. This is for several jobs that have popped up. I would MUCH rather just buy something and put it to good use, but the field is very lacking in this specific niche area. Acceptable choices, when found, prove to be heart attack inducing for their price. So, I have resorted to accepting to build something that fits the needs, but want to minimize my necessary involvement as much as practically possible. Thus, starting with bare castings saves time, effort, and money. If this were a hobby endeavor, I would just make everything. But when one needs to get work out the door, machine time for personal enjoyment takes a hard-line back seat.

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse, or demean Gary's castings, but the kit only offers a couple of castings and quite a bit of machining is needed to complete as well as additional material. Having built the Duclos head myself, I question that there is a great deal of difference involved in build time between the two.

The Duclos dividing head is built from a piece of 3" diameter stock, the balance can be made from flat stock if needed, all readily available from stock sources overnight if needed rather than waiting a minimum of a month after the unlikely chance finding a minimum of six or seven others who would also be interested in the stainless castings.
            Jim H.

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum View Post
              Not to beat a dead horse, or demean Gary's castings, but the kit only offers a couple of castings and quite a bit of machining is needed to complete as well as additional material. Having built the Duclos head myself, I question that there is a great deal of difference involved in build time between the two.
              The Duclos dividing head is built from a piece of 3" diameter stock, the balance can be made from flat stock if needed, all readily available from stock sources overnight if needed rather than waiting a minimum of a month after the unlikely chance finding a minimum of six or seven others who would also be interested in the stainless castings.

Only need one, possibly two more people.

The month's wait is of no concern for something that fits the bill in the long run.

Any time not making chips for customers is money and productivity lost. Obviously, there's a balance to be struck when circumstances necessitate shop built fixturing and tooling. ( This also ties in conversely with the desire to make said fixturing and tooling as professional and "nice" as possible, without wasting unnecessary time paying attention needlessly to aesthetics. )

I need a small Dividing Head in Stainless. Others have expressed a desire for the same. This one seems like a good balance between available time and efforts spent.

I appreciate the options. Truth of the matter is that at _some_ point one needs to pull the trigger and act. I am at this point. Elsewise, one can spend days, weeks, and years discussing the options and doing nothing.

Thanks.

Comment

A picture (or a link to one) might be helpful.

John

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyd View Post
                  A picture (or a link to one) might be helpful.

John
                  http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-Dividing-Head

Comment

Thread on Duclos dividing head;

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-dividing-head
                    Jim H.

Comment

Well, that says it while avoiding the question.

I am not arguing about your decision, but would like to understand why a dividing head would need to be corrosion resistant. I have a CI one and keep a light coat of oil on it and it does not corrode. Is this for a ship or some other location where the air is corrosive? Chemical plant? Or ?????

If I am being too curious, just ignore me.

Originally posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
                      Corrosion resistance.
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                        Well, that says it while avoiding the question.

I am not arguing about your decision, but would like to understand why a dividing head would need to be corrosion resistant. I have a CI one and keep a light coat of oil on it and it does not corrode. Is this for a ship or some other location where the air is corrosive? Chemical plant? Or ?????
                        If I am being too curious, just ignore me.
                        Hi Paul,

I wasn't avoiding it at all. Maybe my style is a bit too brief for some. Frankly, I was just gaging the interest and did not think my own motivations were germain to the discussion, but I have no issue with disclosing it if it is important or of interest. It's a bit to type, the how's and why for's, but the bottom line is that it is to perform work in a WEDM tank, where the environ is inhospitable to most materials, save Stainless and Aluminum. Aluminum is a poor choice for so many reasons, That leaves Stainless. "Corrosion resistance" If one cares to know the germination and progression, it can be followed here - LINKY

Thanks.

Comment

Ah, now I see the light. Thanks for the illumination.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                            Ah, now I see the light. Thanks for the illumination.
                            You're welcome. So now you just have to have one. Right?

Comment

If this is for business, then you could offer to stump up the cost of getting all the castings done, then leave them with the casting supplier to sell as and when people want them. I see this dragging on if you have to find 5 people wanting one all at the same time, and prepared to wait for delivery.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X