Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

welding positioner motor and controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding positioner motor and controller?

I want to build a welding positioner with a motor.

Would I be better to buy a DC motor and controller or a 3 phase motor and VFD?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

IMO a DC (ex T.M.) motor and simple controller.
    Max.

Comment

OK, I will look for one. Thanks.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

It's a good idea to limit positional welding when you get older, you get in position then stay there!
        I like down hand these days, I couldn't manage stovepipe welding anymore, I'd pass out!
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
          It's a good idea to limit positional welding when you get older, you get in position then stay there!
          I like down hand these days, I couldn't manage stovepipe welding anymore, I'd pass out!
          Mark
          You old Fart!

Comment

How does this look?
            http://www.ebay.de/itm/2-PS-Gleichst...item27fbdbfc45

Comment

Looks like it should do the trick, you will need some reduction from motor to table anyway, also it is a PWM controller which is an advantage.
              You should remove the flywheel to operate the motor efficiently.
              On those motors, it usually states a unidirectional motors, this is often because the flywheel is threaded on.
              Max.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post
                Looks like it should do the trick, you will need some reduction from motor to table anyway, also it is a PWM controller which is an advantage.
                You should remove the flywheel to operate the motor efficiently.
                On those motors, it usually states a unidirectional motors, this is often because the flywheel is threaded on.
                Max.
                OK Max, I bought the motor. Can't wait for it to get here.

Comment

I think you are going to be disappointed in this motor. That's a treadmill motor and they are very high rpm motors, typically 4000 rpm or more. So you will need a huge amount of reduction gearing to get down to a usable speed for a positioner. They don't easliy mate up to a gear reducer either. The turn down on the controller is at best likely to be 30 to 1 and at low speeds the controllers have a difficult time holding a steady speed with any load change at all if you want to weld while turning. I'd have looked for a DC motor with an integral worm gear reducer. Or a C-face motor that mates directly to a gearbox. The motor doesn't need to be large and the gearbox can also support the table, so lots less effort building it.

Comment

The key consideration is both the surface speed at the welding position which is a function of the radius of the welding position circle diameter and the rotation speed of the positioner.

Angular positioning accuracy degrades as the welding position distance to the centre of the positioner increases.

Comment

I used a baldor 15rpm gear motor and a kb controller with a foot pedal. works good
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

Here is the one I built a while back.

http://s159.photobucket.com/user/rob...?sort=3&page=1

The table is 12" diameter and 1/2" thick.

It uses a small ac/dc right angle gear motor. I think it's 1/15 hp. Don't remember the reduction amount on the motor itself but there is a 4:1 reduction with the main gears.

It is reversible and variable speed with a foot pedal.

The speed control is for a fan. My bead roller uses the same motor and I found the proper speed control for it on amazon. Sorry don't have a link for it anymore.

YES, I'M GRUMPY ALL THE TIME!
                        DEAL WITH IT!

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                          I think you are going to be disappointed in this motor. That's a treadmill motor and they are very high rpm motors, typically 4000 rpm or more. So you will need a huge amount of reduction gearing to get down to a usable speed for a positioner. They don't easliy mate up to a gear reducer either. The turn down on the controller is at best likely to be 30 to 1 and at low speeds the controllers have a difficult time holding a steady speed with any load change at all if you want to weld while turning. I'd have looked for a DC motor with an integral worm gear reducer. Or a C-face motor that mates directly to a gearbox. The motor doesn't need to be large and the gearbox can also support the table, so lots less effort building it.
                          You are might be right Gary but if it doesn't work I will use it to build a polishing belt grinder. Or something else. Complicated doesn't bother me. Or maybe I will build a treadmill for some of my Swiss sheep!

Comment

Although that particular motor is not one of the higher end TM motors, it should work with the right reduction, I prefer to go with Torque values and that is going to be highest at zero rpm, the torque is directly related to current, regardless of rpm.
                            Out of the Chinese versions of TM I prefer the Johnson, they are very well made high pole count motors.
                            Max.

Comment

I've built a few over the years,the latest is a welding lathe.The problem is you need a motor and control that will effectively give you 0-15rpm.

Easy way,with a nice neat package is a cheap Bridgeport table feed motor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-New-Po...item460f97932a

They are usually 0-140 rpm,with built in FWD/REV,speed control,rapid button and the travel limit switch can be replaced with a foot switch for easy on/off control.

Take one of those power feed motors and marry it to a 10:1 gear reducer and you get the speed range you need,with good speed regulation.
                              Last edited by wierdscience; 04-02-2015, 08:39 PM.
                              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                              X