Bottoming drills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottoming drills?

I need to drill some small dia. holes to a precise depth with out the point going through the other side of the material.
    I could use end mills, but what do you do if you need an odd size,say an x/32 or x/64 hole?
    A "d" bit with the end squared?

Two drill of the same size. One regular drill point, the other ground (by hand) to a 180؛ flat bottom drill.

Drill hole with regular one, point to the required depth. Bring in the flat bottom drill just to clean out the angles left from the first one.

Comment

Sharpen similar to an end mill?

Comment

If you had a belt sander and about 3 minutes
        you could hand grind one. No black magic.

--Doozer
        DZER

Comment

Drill with regular drill, then use boring head to flatten the bottom.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons View Post
            Drill with regular drill, then use boring head to flatten the bottom.
            That doesn't always get you a flat bottom. The width of the end of the boring tool must be equal to half the diameter of the hole, as most of us don't have facing heads.

I can have a flat bottom drill ground and used before you could finish your first cut with the boring head.

Comment

As others have said, grind a flat-bottom drill. I have an easier time grinding a flat-bottom drill than a normal drill, it's pretty easy. Stick a square up to the side of the drill and grind the end until it's square to the side of the drill, then put on a little relief.

The other option - if one had a tool/cutter grinder or surface grinder with a spin index, and a lot of end mills - would be to grind down the flutes of an end mill until it was of the right diameter. It would still cut on the end, but not on the side.

Comment

Working...
              X