A couple of Friday 'whatzits'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of Friday 'whatzits'

Been (finally) going through some boxes of stuff that I accumulated over the winter and came across a couple of slightly interesting mystery items.

The first is some sort of grinding arbor (I think). Came from an estate sale where there were a couple of Dumore tool post grinders, but the taper didn't fit either of them. The shank is marked "1/4 486" I looked in Machinerys Handbook and couldn't match the dimensions to a standard taper. Anyone know what it might fit? (No laughing at my CAD* drawing)

*Cartoon Aided Design

================================================== =====

The second is an 'inside' live center.
    It's got a 2MT taper on it and a ball bearing 'cup' that holds some little collets. No markings and a few of the collets look like they might be shop made. (Maybe the whole thing is?)

It came with an old Atlas lathe I bought... my first thought was that maybe it's for holding motor armatures? Looks like a clever way of holding something in the tailstock that you can't or don't want to center drill.

First pic is a mandrel for a ID grinder. Possibly for the dumore grinder.

Does it have ID threads on the other end? I ran Bryant ID grinders and used mandrels like that. The OD threads screw into the wheelhead and the stone threads into the other end.

Brian
    Last edited by bborr01; 04-10-2015, 01:25 PM.
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
      First pic is a mandrel for a ID grinder. Possibly for the dumore grinder.

Does it have ID threads on the other end? I ran Bryant ID grinders and used mandrels like that. The OD threads screw into the wheelhead and the stone threads into the other end.

Brian
      No threads, it's just center drilled, probably from manufacturing.

Comment

Second picture looks like a tail stock bearing that was used on an old armature lathe.
        Gary Davison
        Tarkio, Mo.

Comment

Working...
        X