X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Time for a new drone?

-------------------------------------------------------

http://dji.com/?r=F8txSa

If anyone has been thinking about getting a drone, this could be a good time!

In addition to my love of machining and more recently becoming fascinated with 3D printing, I have taken up another $$ hobby of drones. Some people who casually follow the hobby may be interested in this.

DJI, the leader in this kind of toy just announced a new model. I think this is important to people for two reasons, first the cost is lower than it has been, at about 1000.00 and the current versions are going on a fire sale.

The Phantom Vision 3 is the newest one, big camera, better at flying indoors and some other cool features.

I have a Phantom vision 2 and couldn't be happier with it, all the current models just got priced at close out prices.

If I had it to do over, I would still buy the vision 2, but the price of the vision 3 is so low, (I am thinking, introductory, going up soon) that for the added features it may be worth it. Mine would fly for miles at thousands of feet high (if that were legal) while filming, with no input after selecting up to 15 waypoints on a map.

If you are thinking of one take a look at the link. If anyone has questions about the vision 2 that I have, feel free to ask.

Ken's Disclaimer:

Drones will not take over the world, the images they collect will not steal your soul, the cameras are not that good, think Go Pro like, maybe better maybe worse. They will not fly into your house (that White house thing was a fluke) Sometimes when drones are mentioned, there are people who express fear or concern that a drone would damage them or their loved ones in some way, so before that starts, I wanted to say that drones are our friends, toys, tools, just another machine like a mill, bore scope or...

They could be used to film your shop, your property, or other fun, but legal and safe things. For tinkerers, they provide a reasonable challenge to develop new things and understand current and future tech.

Ken

How much is Low? Looks Nice. I been flying bang good 107 hubsons amazing little Drone, Takes aone heck of a beating and keeps gooing. Im ready to step up this ones Nice!!

Comment

OOPS sorry !!

Found price under store in web page Thanx Mike Not bad considering the Advanced Unit. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by reality checker View Post
        Ken's Disclaimer:

Drones will not take over the world, the images they collect will not steal your soul, the cameras are not that good, think Go Pro like, maybe better maybe worse. They will not fly into your house (that White house thing was a fluke) Sometimes when drones are mentioned, there are people who express fear or concern that a drone would damage them or their loved ones in some way, so before that starts, I wanted to say that drones are our friends, toys, tools, just another machine like a mill, bore scope or...

They could be used to film your shop, your property, or other fun, but legal and safe things. For tinkerers, they provide a reasonable challenge to develop new things and understand current and future tech...
        You keep on thinking that if you wish but I think you're dead wrong. Someday we will rue the fact the fact that we ever let these things get off the ground. They will be like flies, buzzing everywhere, invading our privacy, disturbing us in so many ways. I don't care how bad the cameras may be, I don't want anybody taking pictures of me, my family or my property for any purpose. And then there are all the possible "illegal" uses--and don't kid yourself, they will be used for many illegal purposes. I could start a list but I won't bother because there are so many. Think of any illegal activity and I guarantee you that someone will figure out a way to use a drone to their advantage.

So no, they may not take over the world per se but they will change it in ways we cannot even imagine and that we would not want to happen...
        Keith

Comment

I bought a Blade 350 QX2 last fall but am get ready to start flying it now as my wife had some health issues then winter set in. I bought 2, one for a friend who really likes his. They threw in 2 extra hi-cap batteries & fast chargers. I like the Home button so if I totally screw up it comes back & lands in the same place it took off from.
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

Think of any illegal activity and I guarantee you that someone will figure out a way to use a drone to their advantage.
            My mind went to "government" first...what we don't know, can't hurt us?

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
              You keep on thinking that if you wish but I think you're dead wrong. Someday we will rue the fact the fact that we ever let these things get off the ground. They will be like flies, buzzing everywhere, invading our privacy, disturbing us in so many ways. I don't care how bad the cameras may be, I don't want anybody taking pictures of me, my family or my property for any purpose. And then there are all the possible "illegal" uses--and don't kid yourself, they will be used for many illegal purposes. I could start a list but I won't bother because there are so many. Think of any illegal activity and I guarantee you that someone will figure out a way to use a drone to their advantage.

So no, they may not take over the world per se but they will change it in ways we cannot even imagine and that we would not want to happen...
              I think I mentioned that last fall a friend was helping me unload a mill & a U.S. drone flew about a mile or west of us going south then turned SW, no markings pure white & no noise at all.
              Look at google earth & the TSA, etc, etc. My wife & I went to a free sales pitch dinner & one item was basically foil rolled out in your attic for insulation but it might be good for other things too. Things will change & the only constant in life is change but I'll be glad to send you a tin foil hat if it will help.
              ~ James Madison

Comment

The Parrot series of drones a pretty neat, fly them off of a Android pad.
                You can pick them up for ~$200.00 on ebay.
                Max.

Comment

Drones are not evil but can do extraordinary evil if that is desired. A deadly amount of C4 is not very heavy. I have an AR.Drone 2.0 from Parrot and it's a lot of fun and sometimes pretty damn handy. It's never done evil.

Comment

It must be much worse in Canada?

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post

Keith, you raise some good points.

I know that Canada is much more liberal with their drone laws, I think you can use them commercially now, for most of us in the USA that is not legal. Do you see them swarming around your place often? People can take pictures of most anything they want from an airplane, just look at some of the map programs. Do you worry about airplanes overhead? They have much better cameras. We lost our privacy when Orville and Wilbur took off, years ago.

My Vision 2 bird can currently take off while filming, fly several thousand feet high for several miles to 15 points that I select on a map screen, return to the spot it took off from and land with no input from me, although that is illegal, so I do not use that way.

If there was a missing child, it could fly a grid while transmitting video to a phone or tablet. It could do the same thing over a lake looking for a missing swimmer or boat, check out smoke or a fire in the woods, or look at livestock or crops. Those uses are also currently against the rules in the USA unless you are in control and have a visual on it. I don't currently do that either, although it may help someone and I would like to offer that help.

I am old enough to remember when we though using a cell phone would cause a gas station to explode. Can you imagine the disruption that cars caused, yet most everyone has one now, and likes them (love\hate). Think of digital cameras, depth finders, digital mics, CNC machines, microwaves, binoculars, scopes on guns, the internet,( that little change really de-valued my tech library, people just "look it up on the net")etc., etc., Tech happens, with or without us.

The idea of the post was to let people on this board know that it may be a good time to look at one. People with the skills and gifts we have could benefit from understanding them and not fear them.

I wonder if there was any concern when the telescope or periscope was invented?

http://dji.com/?r=F8txSa

Ken

Comment

Using a cell phone can still cause a gas station to 'explode', start a fire anyway. In fact any electrical device that has a battery is a hazard at a gas station where spilled petrol may be expected. Petrol fumes are heavier than air and hang around near the ground. If you drop your cell phone, flash light etc on the concrete there may be a spark when the battery connections get a jolt and thats is all it would take to start a fire if the fumes are there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                        Using a cell phone can still cause a gas station to 'explode', start a fire anyway.
                        Urban myth.

Comment

Look at what these guys have to offer: http://flitetest.com/

Be sure to watch some of the videos:bring popcorn.

Friend of mine got to meet some of the guys from Flitetest and says they are good people.

Comment

You don't own the airspace over your property & planes have been taking quality pics for years in fact I ran across an ad for 50+ year old aerial photos & contacted them & sure enough they had one of our 1880s home but way too many trees to see it well. I too would not worry much as much about private drones as government ones & other things they do. If one flys in range BANG! Another one bites the dust & another drones gone, sound like a great oldie. The 12ga wins again, just like shooting skeet except I just say bye instead of pull. Bye bye
                            ~ James Madison

Comment

Sometimes you'd just rather there weren't drones hovering overhead. There will always be resentment for their presence for any number of reasons. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXmD-B-6F9Q

Comment

Working...
                              X