Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made some progress on that old Metalcraft lathe

So here are some recent photos.

It really wasn't that hard to do in spare time here and there.... But part of that may be due to the fact that I pretty much have a "system" for doing these jobs, so I can be pretty efficient.

I need to do something non-destructive but good to that switchplate.... it's original but sure needs some spiffing.

The old thread was here
    http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...hlight=promise

One of the "before" pics...... just because I can....

Last edited by J Tiers; 04-12-2015, 06:09 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Very nice

Comment

The black parts add a touch of class!

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
        The black parts add a touch of class!
        They also may be per original.... At least the pics I can find that are alleged to be original, but I am doubting some of them.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Well, there's no doubt your friend will get the $100 you told him he'd be lucky to. Of course, I suppose the value of your time is "friendship" plus "hey I like doing this stuff anyway". We all should have friends like you! Fabulous job!
          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

He gets either the machine, if he wants it, or all of whatever I get for it, less a few bucks of parts and belts.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Yeah... that definitely looks great, nice work.
              ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
              http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
              https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Comment

I enjoy seeing old machinery brought back to a useful life, especially when it didn't look feasible. Good job!!
                Don Young

Comment

It's very nice indeed.

What remains to be done?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis View Post

What remains to be done?
                    Well, it needs something done for a motor. I don't want to put a motor with green porch paint onto the machine, but stripping paint from a motor is by no means as easy as with castings. The innards are pressed into motors, generally, and they also do not take kindly to being dipped. Paint remover is likely to remove wire varnish also, if it gets in through the vents. That would not be good.

I might get the end bells off, which might be dipped, or slathered, but the main casting would still be left.

Or I might find a $5 motor at a sale. we'll see.

Then, once it has a motor, I will make some things on it, just as sales pieces, most likely. " I made these on it" is a powerful argument when someone tries to poormouth a machine. Machines sell better when new looking BUT with some swarf on them, or other proof of being used.

I'd kinda feel bad getting as much for this as for a "real" Atlas, but then, I can't really see why it should be a lot less since it is clean, working, and I will have proof of it being useful.

Speaking of paint, I found out that the porch paint was already on it when my friend was given the machine originally.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

I have found paint thinner, mineral spirits, varsol,
                      (whatever the common name is) to be safe for
                      motor windings and wire varnish. I clean motors
                      in my parts washer sink on occasion with zero
                      electrical problems from it.
                      Now, paint stripper is another animal.
                      Methyl chloride is one nasty chemical.
                      Want to get rid of a body??
                      --D
                      DZER

Comment

Other than politicians, no need for body disposal.

But I DO want to get rid of the green porch paint. It's not in good shape, but is good enough in spots to need to be fully removed. And the "citristrip", aka "agent orange", is bad for windings as well as people, despite the idea that it is a safer type stripper... The methyl pyrrolidone is nasty stuff.

I don't think varsol gets paint off, not even acrylic types.

Speaking of paint removal, that original blue-gray Atlas paint was some tough stuff.... it laughed at all my paint removers... VERY reluctant to come off, and removers only removed the top surface, even when left to work under wraps for a couple hours.
                        Last edited by J Tiers; 04-13-2015, 12:17 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

I'd be inclined to have a go at the paint with a wire brush in a drill or die grinder, then feather out any chipped paint with some sand paper, anything left at that point is probably pretty sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin R View Post
                            I'd be inclined to have a go at the paint with a wire brush in a drill or die grinder, then feather out any chipped paint with some sand paper, anything left at that point is probably pretty sound.
                            That's about where I am. First I need to test it. Miraculously, it spins freely. It may be an old ring-oiled motor, they last forever, and were made even in small sizes.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                              Other than politicians, no need for body disposal.

But I DO want to get rid of the green porch paint. It's not in good shape, but is good enough in spots to need to be fully removed. And the "citristrip", aka "agent orange", is bad for windings as well as people, despite the idea that it is a safer type stripper... The methyl pyrrolidone is nasty stuff.

I don't think varsol gets paint off, not even acrylic types.

Speaking of paint removal, that original blue-gray Atlas paint was some tough stuff.... it laughed at all my paint removers... VERY reluctant to come off, and removers only removed the top surface, even when left to work under wraps for a couple hours.
                              Have you tried a heat gun?

Comment

Working...
                              X