Saga of the 115v 6-lead Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saga of the 115v 6-lead Motor

I finally got a roundtoit and metered the leads of the 115vac motor. I'm trying to determine what lead is used for what. I'm hoping one of you "Motor Wizz" guys can help me determine the connections. It's not critical but I do have a use for the motor, if I can get it running. The cost was negligible but if it works, it will replace a "wiper motor" set up. HELP!

The first picture is the lead table. The second picture is of the windings in the motor. (Four pole?) I don't know if you can make it out or not but there's two sets of windings. One set is smaller wire than the other and between the larger wire winding.

What are you using the motor for?

I have about 20 or more synchronous motors, they have high torque and quick start.

Plus I have hook up data. It is like a stepper except two coil leads brought out, You stagger the phase on one coil by resistor-capacitor. Somebody really wanting large steppers could retap them inside. They are the same as a stepper, just the windings are terminated differently.

You simply switch the power from one lead to the other to reverse.

I have been planning on installing one on my knee on my mill.. someday.. I think it will pull it without much reduction. They are 72rpm motors @ 250 oz torque. That type of motor can be stalled out without hurting it.

David

Comment

Get a compass, plop it in the eye of the iron, energise each pair of leads in turn, and see which way the needle swings.

That motor looks like a two pole single phase with a start winding.

Comment

Thanks Dave. This is a 59rpm gearmotor. I'd like to use it on a Bead Former. It would replace the hookey setup on this one (pic below). I would still need to gear it down a little. 20rpm would be perfect for the low side. I'd like to have a two speed. About 40rpm on the high side. I have a DC motor I'm thinking of using. I just haven't built the pedal control.

Comment

What exactly will the compass test tell me? I need to know what leads go to the 115v/switch and what leads go to the capacitor.

One thing I forgot to mention before is that the Brown and Yellow were tied together with a closed-end connector. I couldn't tell if there was another lead from it. That's the reason I put an extra line in the table for the Brn/Yel connection. The Orange lead has a FM Spade connector on it. (Switch or Cap?)

[This message has been edited by CCWKen (edited 06-08-2004).]

Comment

I am working on a similar job, I just brought home a bead roller..

I got a air motor I am using via chain reduction.

What is the best final rpm to shoot for? You done played with yours?

Hey, you been looking at my design notebook?
            I got some ideals..

HA..

I brought in about 50 gearboxes.. most are 5hp or so.. I got some small 15:1'a to go on my shaper to cnc it.. I think there may be a few more small ones too.. 1750/15=116 rpm..

LIL brother in Iowa is sending me a hydraulic motor/pump/control for another project, another way to go.. Hydrostat transmission off a lawnmower. Motor turns pulley, pedal runs forward and back.

I am working on everything here.. I started adding the stepper to the indexer today, then got distracted by the old shaper.. I worked on it for about two hours.

David..

Comment

Okay.. I got the rpm.. thanks..

I got a dc drive for another project (spindle drive) off ebay for 25$ not hooked it up yet..

Look there.. dc motors are pretty cheap too..
              The C-face motors bolt to the gearboxes I brought in..

Check the pawnshop for a guitar wa waa pedal, they have a nice aluminum tread, have a gear driven pot inside that can be replaced by any value you want.

David.

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 06-08-2004).]

Comment

Ken,that is a two speed capacitor run split phase motor,may even be dual voltage.Set that one aside and find another motor.
                Reason being since you want to use it on a bead roller you may want to be able to reverse it,that is going to be non-reversible.Plus it will be a nightmare to decipher the wiring.
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks WS. I was afraid of that. I do need reverse. I may just go with the DC gearmotor. I have the controler and the connections are much simpler.

Dave - The wiper motor that's on the Roller now is geared down to about 40rpm. That's WAY to fast for detail work. (Besides being under powered.) I end up having to feather the pedal. It's a two-speed motor but I never use "high gear". The 40rpm is great for the long straights but going into the turns requires MUCH lower speeds. I think that's were the DC variable speed will really shine.

The silver box near the business end holds a motor fuse and the direction switch. The black box mounted on the post is nothing more than a transformer and bridge for 12vdc. It's got a line fuse, pilot light and on/off switch.

Here's a pick of the other side. It's hard to see the bronze gears but this cuts the motor rpm in half. You'll notice I made a few mods to the HF unit.

Grease fittings (through bolt heads), lift spring, guide, beefed-up frame (2x1/4 angle and 2x1/2 flat), and the stand.

This pic also shows my homemade dual pedal--Just visible at the bottom of the pic. It's for low and high speed but like I said, I never use the high speed.

Comment

Working...
                  X