Books! Workshop Practice Series #34 & 35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books! Workshop Practice Series #34 & 35

Looks like there are a couple of additions to the series. #34 Lathework: A Complete Course and #35 Milling A Complete Course.
    Both are by Harold Hall who apparantly is one of MEW mags "leading authorities"

Has anyone seen these yet?

Probably a compilation of the lathe work and milling work articles he did that have been published in MEW since issue #67 in October 2000. Not my cup of tea, but pretty good for someone just starting out, and looking for a gentle lead in to some pretty good projects.

Comment

One thing I have noticed about the Workshop series is that amazon.co.uk list these far less than other publishers and have them in stock.
      Many of these titles from Amazon.com are out of stock and a lot more money.

Can't comment on the milling one but I have seen the lathework one and it's very basic.
      IMO The Amateur Lathe by Spary really takes some whacking with probably the South Bend, How to run a Lathe coming second.

There are some authors who really get down to it and try to get over what they are masters at. Others just look on it as a meal ticket.

People like Sparey, Ivan Law, Jim Cox, George Thomas and Radford fall into the first slot.

John S

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I was amazed at the amount of info Sparey crammed into such a small book.
        No mindless babble!

Comment

John,
          I would add Martin Cleeve, for his threadcutting book, and Tubal Cain to your list of the better authors.

Comment

If you want to see some really good ideas, get hold of the books by George Thomas.
            They are:-

Building The Universal Pillartool.
            Dividing & Graduating.
            Model Engineers Workshop Manual.

He came up with some excellent and inovative designs for making your own tooling and machine enhancements.
            Phil

Comment

Herb,
              Yes I agree with those authors as well, it's hard who to add and who not to, the list is endless.

Phil,
              Thomas did write some very good articles but I got the impression he was too much of a perfectionist.
              Probably at the expense of having to hold back what he was capable of sharing because of time limits.

Probably not as well know in the States but J.A.Radford who wrote for ME in the late 60's and 70's came up with some really good and very well engineered attachments for his Myford lathe but the idea can be transposed to other makes.

That thread recently on powered threading by Doc Nickel jogged my memory that Radford did an electric bolt on attachment for external threads some time in the 70's.
              TEE have done a reprint of most of his best articles presented to ME over the years called Attachments for the Lathe.
              Obviously copywrite is still valid but i can type in the index page if anyone is interested.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I once had the chance to have a really good look at the late George Thomas's machines, they were by then in the ownership of Neil Hemingway in Rochdale, Lancs. He was the guy who marketed the designs originally, and the company has since changed hands twice. I was inspired to use quite a few of his designs in my own workshop equipment.

http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/

I keep getting asked by people "What do you make with all those fancy tools and machines ?"
                Its quite easy to answer really, I make more fancy tools and machines !! Problem is I am running out of good excuses for making or buying any more workshop goodies. My wife accuses me of being a "Toolaholic" I bet a few others out there know the feeling.
                Phil

Comment

Working...
                X