OT: Removing Charcow from Aluminum Pressure Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Removing Charcow from Aluminum Pressure Cooker

Yesterday my wife cooked up a recipe of beef, onions, tomatoes, Port Wine & rice stuff (it's really good) using her pressure cooker. Unfortunately the lid did not seal, and the water boiled out. (She was on a long conference call and didn't realize what had happened until too late.)

So now we have an aluminum pot with a quarter inch or more of carbonized cow stuck to the bottom.

I'm wondering: Is there some safe, non toxic chemical reaction that will clean this...some chemical that will combine with the carbon but not react with the aluminum or damage it in any way?

Make some soup.
    It can only add flavor.
    You might have the mak'ins of a great recipe there.
    -D
    DZER

Comment

Try covering the base with water and boiling the pot. When the water boils it tends to start under the bottom coating and flake off the material stuck on the bottom. It may take several tries to get it all. It worked for me yesterday as the same thing happened - I was on the phone and the sausages I was cooking were burnt offering fit for a king! Adding about 0.25" of water to the pan and boiling for about 5 minutes loosed up the charcoal and with a swipe of the dish cloth the pan bottom was clean.
      Last edited by BigBoy1; 04-17-2015, 10:00 AM. Reason: Typo!
      Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

Vertical mill with long ball end mill and remove the first 0.245" of Charcow.

Comment

Yep pretty much just water, heat, work, time. Water is a great solvent.

My fav is when I burn the hell out of pizza. I have learned you can just scrape off the burn cheese and eat the toppings, as the crust is a total loss.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I thought i saw somewhere that boiling cream of tatar in the water that you put in the pot, will cause the stuff to fall off. . . . . maybe my mind is slipping. . . but i did find a neat way to increase the usage of waffle irons

Comment

John and Black Moons...

You guys have stumbled onto a new diet system.

Definitely not 'Good Eats' :>)

paul
              paul
              ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
              but you may have to

Comment

Elbow grease, lots and lots of elbow grease.

Comment

Boil some apples in it, mums recipe, cleans pans nicely
                  Mark

Comment

Boil up some rhubarb stalks, comes up beautiful!
                    It contains Oxalic acid (AKA wood bleach), dissolves the carbon without dissolving the aluminium, works on two-strokes too...
                    Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

There you go, rhubarb and apples!, oxalic and muriatic, bound to shift something, rhubarb aka boiled used to be called in the army, squirt, I wondered why, well you won't be constipated after it lol
                      Mark

Comment

Charcow??? At first I thought of another notorious poster who had a less than perfect grasp of the English language and had to look twice to see who started the thread. But, after reading the text of the post, I realize that John Hobdeclipe has excellent imagination and creativity and came up with the perfect word. Good job John!
                        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Leave it in a field with sheep for a week.
                          "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

Zep citrus based cleaner, available at good hardware stores or janitorial supplies. I use it to clean the pitch off saw blades and .250 thick burned on honey barbeque sauce from a baking pan.

Amazing stuff.

Comment

I thought the same as Wes initially, and was going to post accordingly. Then I reconsidered ' Tis a clever play on words. Bob.

Comment

Working...
                              X