OT - too much oil in the truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - too much oil in the truck

I have something going on with my pickup. Twice now, the oil light has come on. Upon checking the oil level the dipstick is pretty much dry. It doesn't seem to be leaking or burning oil though clearly, something is happening.

It happened the 2nd time on Wednesday. I put 5 quarts in it. Apparently a dry stick doesn't mean "empty". When I checked the oil level, the oil level was too high. I had added too much. Oops.

Today on the way to work, as I pulled into the lot, the oil pressure dropped. Could this be caused by the engine being overfilled?

Oil light can also mean low oil pressure, most common causes: Clogged oil filter, Clogged oil passages or bad oil pump.

When is the last time you changed the oil filter?
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Two things could be happening. Sludge can allow oil to be trapped in the valve covers and not drain back. Causes low oil level on the stick and an overfilled crankcase when it does drain down. And overfilled crankcase can cause the oil level to be high enough to allow contact with the crank and whip the oil into a foamy state that doesn't build pressure well nor lubricate well. A third thought...the dipstick dry could only indicate a level 1 or 2 quarts low. Did it take 5 qts to hit the stick??
      Joe
      Last edited by Joe Rogers; 04-17-2015, 05:22 PM.

Comment

What kind of truck is it?

On most dipsticks, the difference between the full mark and the add mark is one quart, and the part of the stick below the add mark represents about one more quart. You were probably two quarts low, and maybe three quarts high after adding five. That's probably enough to reach the crankshaft, causing foaming of the oil. If the foamed oil gets pulled into the pump, the oil pressure will drop.
        Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

I'd get one of those dipstick pumps & pull out a couple qts before you do serious damage.
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

Sounds like Joe is on it with his first guess about it staying in the valve cover due to sludging out, although older trucks with bad mechanical fuel pumps can dump gas in the oil making the level higher also - and the light come on due to the light viscosity...

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Rogers View Post
              Sludge can allow oil to be trapped in the valve covers and not drain back. Causes low oil level on the stick and an overfilled crankcase when it does drain down.
              +1 on this.

This condition will cause a low oil level light to come on and can cause a low oil pressure light to come on.

Comment

The oil is now at the proper level. As I test drove, pressure was maintained until I pulled into the drive and prepared to turn the engine off. The pressure dropped and the light came on.

Comment

What kind, what year, how many miles, owned how long, maintenance history???

Dave

Comment

What was the oil level directly after shutting the engine down after the last test drive?
                    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by becksmachine View Post

Dave
                      +1
                      Without some clues and a bit of history all we can do is throw darts in the dark. We can speculate all over the map but a few more details will allow us to make more of an educated diagnosis. All we know now is that there is a problem but we have no idea of what we are even discussing.
                      How often do you check the oil level, when do you check the oil level, have you checked it before start up, after?
                      The more info given the more valid the answers will be.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

I had a bad oil pressure sender, oil was good changed out and all is good. maybe a mechanical gauge to check the pressure
                        Ed
                        Agua Dulce, So.California
                        1950 F1 street rod
                        1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
                        1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
                        1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame have a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
                        1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Hubbell View Post
                          What was the oil level directly after shutting the engine down after the last test drive?
                          This is the test. If the dipstick is dry, the oil is probably trapped in the upper areas of the engine. The oil level should slowly come back to normal as the oil drains down to the base.

Comment

Originally posted by becksmachine View Post

Dave
                            2000 F-150 v8 Triton engine, 133,000 miles, I've had it for 8-10 years. Maintenance... people like me are the reason Jiffy Lube exists. I'm ok with changing oil though I don't do it every 3,000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post
                              This is the test. If the dipstick is dry, the oil is probably trapped in the upper areas of the engine. The oil level should slowly come back to normal as the oil drains down to the base.
                              I'll find out the next time I drive it.

Comment

Working...
                              X