OT- Mower Transaxle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Mower Transaxle

My transaxle is on the way south. It makes noise when coasting, and I can't get past 3rd gear (it's a 5 speed). I can feel there is binding going on with the linkage in the unit. Not a great time of year for this to happen, everything is turning green!

Looking the part up on John Deere website, says it's a Peerless make.

The mower is over 25 years old, but the engine (a Kawasaki) runs great and the mower deck is twice as heavy as one on a new mower, so I feel it's worth messing with.

So how hard are these to get into and repair? And parts? Are these "throw aways"?

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-T...LE-13-1400.axd
    5 speed tranaxle for $140.00 probably would adapt pretty easily.
    When I get Time... I'll...

Comment

How about a Peerless or a Peerless ??????????

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/...LE-13-1474.axd

Comment

Originally posted by rws View Post
        My transaxle is on the way south. It makes noise when coasting, and I can't get past 3rd gear (it's a 5 speed). I can feel there is binding going on with the linkage in the unit. Not a great time of year for this to happen, everything is turning green!

Looking the part up on John Deere website, says it's a Peerless make.

The mower is over 25 years old, but the engine (a Kawasaki) runs great and the mower deck is twice as heavy as one on a new mower, so I feel it's worth messing with.

So how hard are these to get into and repair? And parts? Are these "throw aways"?
        They're dead simple gearboxes- open it up and see whats blocking the sliding keys from moving past 3rd. It might be broken keys and the noise on coast might be a slack reverse chain. I rebuilt the one in my JD (sounds like similar vintage) and the only reason it was noisy was the original grease had dried out. I repacked it with gear grease from Tractor Supply.

Comment

Agreed, I rebuilt one that was stuck to hell.

Someone FILLED it with the wrong grease. like an entire hand full pushed in through a crack in the case that let tons of water in.

Took it apart, solvent cleaned gears/shafts/etc using the case itself as a parts washer, put it back together with whatever grease the local mower place recommended (Some water proof bentinite grease or something)

Works great now.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post
            They're dead simple gearboxes- open it up and see whats blocking the sliding keys from moving past 3rd. It might be broken keys and the noise on coast might be a slack reverse chain. I rebuilt the one in my JD (sounds like similar vintage) and the only reason it was noisy was the original grease had dried out. I repacked it with gear grease from Tractor Supply.
            Exactly. I actually have three or four of them around. I used to cannibalize them to make little go-kart transmissions. Odds are, the gears are fine. The problem is more than likely a buggered up shift key or the slot that the key rides in may have developed a burr. My parts are all in deep storage, so probably wouldn't do you any good but if you find you are still hunting for parts in a few months and I have my stuff out of storage I'll take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons View Post
              Agreed, I rebuilt one that was stuck to hell.

Someone FILLED it with the wrong grease. like an entire hand full pushed in through a crack in the case that let tons of water in.

Took it apart, solvent cleaned gears/shafts/etc using the case itself as a parts washer, put it back together with whatever grease the local mower place recommended (Some water proof bentinite grease or something)

Works great now.
              I had a devil of a time finding the bentonite grease- the stuff Tractor Supply sold was some space-age green grease.

Comment

The Peerless 600 series 3 speed is the one to use for go kart applications.
                Belt it 2:1 overdrive from the engine and you get a kart capable of going
                40 mph. It helps to have the needle and ball bearing version with the splinie
                countershaft gears. There is also a bronze bushing model with keyed
                countershaft gears, not so robust.

-D
                DZER

Comment

When apart I always drill & tap the housing right at the ring gear and use #140 gear oil instead of grease.

Comment

Thanks all. I will get some info off of the original today and see if I can adapt one that is linked. For $150 I could justify a new axle. But I will get into the old one too. I've rebuilt automatic transmissions in the past, plus manual gear boxes, but time is what bothers me now. More than a couple weeks out of service and I would be crotch deep in grass!

Comment

I got the one for my shear for less than $5 at a scrap yard but that was years ago. They might be up to $10 by now. This is the time of the year people buy new machines and scrap the old ones even if there's little wrong with them. The place I go lets you take your tools in and remove what you want. You take it to front and weight it, pay then be on your way. (Small town)

Comment

Working...
                      X