Cutting Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Oil?

What do you folks use for cutting oil on a lathe, drill press, or milling machine? Back when I took machine shop in high school, we used some type of stuff that was mixed with water to form a white-colored emulsion. Any suggestions for something I could buy at a hardware or auto parts store?

Probably the best oil for general use is the black pipe threading oil available at hardware and plumbing supply stores. When I was in high school the machine shop used Ridgid Dark Sulphur oil for lathe threading operations and some sort of milky-looking soluble oil emulsion for nearly everything else.

Mike

Comment

When I worked in the in the UK, a pretty much universal water/oil cutting fluid was Shell Dromus B.

Ian.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz1255 View Post
        What do you folks use for cutting oil on a lathe, drill press, or milling machine? Back when I took machine shop in high school, we used some type of stuff that was mixed with water to form a white-colored emulsion. Any suggestions for something I could buy at a hardware or auto parts store?
        You're referring to "soluble oil" with that mix of oil and water. It's oil with emulsifying agent to allow it to stay mixed and is very good for overall cost vs. lubricity value. The down side is its poor sump life. Because it's that mix it absorbs tramp oils more readily than a semi-synthetic or full synthetic coolant, causing contamination and reduced effectiveness. It's also very susceptible to forming a separated layer of oil which cuts off the oxygenation of it and that causes the stink of growing bacteria colonies.

Today there are a host of affordable semi-synthetic and full synthetic coolants which are much cheaper in overall cost than a straight cutting oil. Not knowing where you are located impedes me from citing sources or recommendations.

Comment

I mostly use "Harvey's" pipe threading oil. It's not a "black" oil, more of a medium amber. Works well.

For aluminum, WD40 works pretty well.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Read these first as regards hazards and use:

http://www.ashburnchemical.com/msds-technical-data.html

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ss...tting+oil+MSDS

Comment

In a "home shop", going to the expense and trouble of buying and mixing a professional cutting fluid may not be the best choice. For one thing, leaving a water based cutting fluid on your machines for long periods between actual work is not a good idea. So a clean-up and oiling period would be added to the end of every work session.

When cutting steel I use a light lubricating oil, like 3 In 1. For aluminum I use WD-40 or cut it dry. Brass and plastic can usually be cut dry. This applies when single point thread cutting in the lathe.
              Do not use motor oil, you do not need the additives and it will leave a residue that builds up and is hard to clean. Besides, heaven only knows what is in it and you will breath in the vapor.

That's all for HSS tooling. When I use a carbide tool, I cut dry.

For cutting threads with taps and dies, I like Tap Magic. There are other good threading fluids.

Save the more professional cutting fluids until you KNOW you need them. How will you know? Well, you'll know it when you get there.
              Paul A.

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I have unknown cutting oil, I have a gallon of cutting oil that was given to me from the day job by the cutting oil vendor. It is a light cutting oil used mainly for hobbing and shaving. It works well, I just don't know the type of oil it is.

Comment

Originally posted by KyMike View Post
                  Probably the best oil for general use is the black pipe threading oil available at hardware and plumbing supply stores. When I was in high school the machine shop used Ridgid Dark Sulphur oil for lathe threading operations and some sort of milky-looking soluble oil emulsion for nearly everything else.

Mike
                  Second the pipe threading oil. It's available, it works, and it's reasonably cheap. With all this stuff, if it smokes, get a fan going and blow it away from you. If you breathe a lot of the fumes you'll get a headache, which is probably not good.
                  ----------
                  Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                  Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                  Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                  There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                  Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                  Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Are you, Fritze1255,looking for a cutting oil to dab onto drills, taps and other cutting tools, or are you looking to fill one or more coolant sumps for flood coolant?

If just for "on the tool, right now", you can find the high sulfur cutting oils at any local hardware or home improvement store in the "pipe cutting" section. Or you can buy a gallon of it from Enco when they have one of their myriad sales.

Comment

The best I've found for cutting steel is Oatey, dark thread cutting oil. The drawback is it doesn't smell very good.

http://www.oatey.com/products/oils-l...ad-cutting-oil

You didn't put your location, but here in the states it's available at Home Depot and Lowe's.

Ed P

Comment

Monroe Cool Tool II. McMaster-Carr sells it. Great for all machining ops and it doesn't stink to high heaven.

Comment

Just looking for oil to dab onto cutting tools. I presently use Brownell's "Do-Drill" oil, but that has to be mail ordered. I do this as a hobby, not a profession, so was really looking for something like 3 in 1 oil as suggested above that would be multi-purpose. Looks like most any light oil would serve my purpose?

Comment

Cool Tool II will stain your machine/vise if you don't wipe it off.
                            It will also coagulate with way oil and turn into gelatin.
                            I avoid it.

-D
                            DZER

Comment

Yes, Oatey dark thread cutting oil is good stuff, real cheap. Good for threading, tapping, and cutting. WD40 works great for aluminum, as said before as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X