O.T. any hope for droped camera ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. any hope for droped camera ?

I've had this camera since the first came out.
    It's a Toshiba and took great pic. till I dropped it in the shop. I hate to just through it away. every thing works but the im. are all blurry.
    Any hope?
    Steve
    If you want total security, go to prison.
    There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on.
    The only thing lacking...
    is freedom. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Hi Steve.
    Been there done that, swore about it too.

If the god's are smiling, you MIGHT be lucky enough to have just dislodged the autofocus mechanism as you suggest it still takes photos.
    it might be worth some time investigating with several very small screwdrivers and a powerful eye glass.

I wouldn't suggest taking in to have it looked at as it's likely to cost way more than the camera is worth.

Good luck.
    Bill.
    Just cause it works, don't mean you can't improve it

Comment

Put it in a safe place for future reference, buy a new one and get on with life. When my first digital, Cannon ELPH died after a good many years, I replaced it with a new version with better features, like a screen was almost the whole back of the camera. Like going from a 19" tv to a 32". Still only has 7.1 pixels but pic quality is great. Now I mainly use the cell phone unless I'm on holidays.

Comment

Toss it and get a new one.
        Repair will cost more than buying a new one -cheapest Nikon Coolpix is $109 at bhphoto... ymmv
        Even if the autofocus is just dislodged, it will never be quite right again ...

Comment

Yes, there is hope!
          Same thing happened to my camera.
          As fraker suggested, the focusing mechanism had been bumped off it's rail.
          Once I was in there, it was easy to put it back on and it worked afterwards to my enormous surprise.

Watch out for the flash charging electronics, I got a bit of a shock.

You have nothing to lose.
          Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

The entire camera is built around the lens... If you need to fix that mechanism, forget it; they are not designed to be fixed. I'm an old electronic tech... so none of this stuff scares me. I've had a couple apart right down to that in an attempt to get rid of a particle or two of sand jamming the lens. lol.. failed...

Comment

Originally posted by fjk View Post
              Toss it and get a new one.
              Repair will cost more than buying a new one -cheapest Nikon Coolpix is $109 at bhphoto... ymmv
              Even if the autofocus is just dislodged, it will never be quite right again ...
              +1 to the above.

Tinker with it if you wish, maybe you can fix it, maybe something will be learned. Unless you have a strong attachment to the camera for some reason, just pitch it. My 8 megapix Kodak was under $100 some years ago, still going strong. It would not be worth repairing if it broke.

Comment

Can it be fixed? Probably. Should you fix it or have it fixed? That's up to you.

I have an Olympus that I really like. I did the same thing: dropped it in the shop. It had worse damage than yours; nothing worked. I sent it back to Olympus for a quote. They wanted about 75% or 80% of what I paid for it. I agonized. After looking at replacements and buying and trying one, I finally decided that I liked it enough to have it repaired. But it was a newer model than yours and had some features that I really liked.

Can you do something yourself? Perhaps or perhaps not. You have to try to find out. Since you are asking the question, I would think you may want to try for an hour or so. Break out the magnifying visor.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

3.2 MegaPixels? That thing is ancient! No matter what you think, it doesn't take "good" pictures--it's really time for a new one. Newer cameras are so much better--you really deserve one...
                  Keith

Comment

"Newer cameras are so much better..." yeah, well I can't find a new point & shoot with a viewfinder. I guess I'm the only one who ever uses the finder. I've been mad at myself ever since I dropped my old Canon, with the lens extended. It didn't survive.

Comment

Originally posted by gmax137 View Post
                      ... I can't find a new point & shoot with a viewfinder.
                      Here's one: http://www.dpreview.com/products/pan...asonic_dmczs50. It's a little pricey now, having been on the market for less than a month.

It has a 24-720mm (equivalent) zoom, and fits in my shirt pocket. Here is a photo I took of some Great Horned Owls which have taken up residence in a nearby palm tree.

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Allan,

I'm going to buy the ZS50 as soon as the price stabilizes. I haven't found one to examine yet at local camera stores so, could you tell me, just how good is the viewfinder?

Also, what functions can be assigned to the circumlens ring? Can I use the ring for focus and still use the zoom adjustment lever around the shutter button?

I have an old ZS8 that is still my favorite travel camera. Having dragged a Canon SLR and three heavy lenses all around Europe I really appreciate something I can slip in my pocket that has enough zoom to nicely frame shots.
                        Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                        http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Originally posted by mklotz View Post
                          ... how good is the viewfinder?
                          Also, what functions can be assigned to the circumlens ring?
                          Marv,

I think you will like the camera. I shoot it in RAW and develop in Lightroom, but the few jpegs I have shot are very impressive.

The Control Ring around the lens can be set for many functions. These are the default functions used for the several recording modes: Step Zoom, Program Shift, Aperture, Shutter Speed , Scene change, and Picture effects change. You can override these to include Exposure Compensation, Aspect Ratio, ISO, and White Balance.

The EVF, with 1,116,000 dots , is excellent. It does not have a wide-angle eyepiece but the advantage of this is that I can see the entire scene while wearing my glasses. The only quibble is that the diopter adjusting dial sometimes gets knocked off its setting -- I may secure it in place with a little bit of black tape.

If you want to protect the screen, this (for the ZS40) fits perfectly, and uses no adhesive: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-Lu...item2a3a9aaef3

[edit] In manual focus mode you can indeed use the Control Ring for focusing, and the toggle for zooming. It has focus peaking, with high or low sensitivity selection, and several colors.
                          Last edited by aostling; 04-21-2015, 03:20 PM.
                          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Allan,

Sounds great. I'm not sure I have the patience to wait. Thanks for the info.
                            Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                            http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

If you want a "shop camera", check out the Canon A1400. I picked one up as a spare because it does has a viewfinder. Doesn't have the greatest feature set, but does have a macro mode and it was on sale for about $80.

Here's a link to the Canon site:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...owershot_a1400

Glenn
                              So many projects . . . so little ambition! Arroyo Grande, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X