Dewalt 18V cordless tools?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewalt 18V cordless tools?

I have multiple Dewalt 18V cordless tools, Saw, hammer drill, 2 impact drivers, small vacuum. I have used these with my small business for about 9 years I have 2 chargers and about 5 or 6 batteries. Needless to say my batteries are pretty much crap at this point and one of the drivers has lost power and the Hammer drill needs a new trigger switch. I am happy with them for what I do but I am at a point of needing new batteries my tools are before the newer XRP batteries. I understand the newer XRP type batteries are lithium Ion will my old Ni cad chargers work if I buy new XRP batteries or will I need new chargers? I can buy a new 1/4" driver by itself for $60 new so I am thinking going that way rather than replacing the brushes. I am not sure if I should just dump all this stuff and start over with a new system??

I also have some small Bosch drivers 3 of them that I use also and really like them for driving #8 screws but for assembling some of the larger stuff I make I prefer the 2 Dewalt 18V drivers. I am thinking if I can buy 4 new XRP batteries and a new driver and trigger switch I would be good to go if my existing chargers will work but if I need to replace the chargers as well I might just replace it all with something else. Anyone know if my existing chargers will work with the XRP batteries?

I will note the other day while at HD I bought a Dewalt 20v lithium ion drill for about $80 on sale and it is a pos the gears have stripped or something when very much torch is applied like trying to drill a hole in steel with larger than about a 3/8 drill bit and no it is not in torque mode. My original hammer drill cost about $200 by itself and was very tough when working it would twist you in a knot if it bound up with a good charge on the battery. Nothing like this 20V cheap one I bought.

Mike
    Last edited by gundog; 04-25-2015, 02:40 PM.

Lithium batteries require very specific voltage/current control to charge safely and MUST be charged by lithium specific chargers to avoid pyrotechnics. In addition for power tools most Li
    chargers have the advantage of rapid charge in <30 minutes. You can have the NiCad batteries rebuilt fairly inexpensively at battery stores with compatible NiMH batteries which do work
    fine with NiCd chargers. In the long run, if the drill is a bit toasty you would be better off chunking it all and getting a pro-grade Li setup. They are powerful and light weight. Look for
    $150+ for these. The sub $100 are for the nondiscriminating, also the more expensive ones have the brushless motors.

On assessing, Black Moons is correct.
    Last edited by sch; 04-25-2015, 03:13 PM.
    Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sch View Post
      You can have the NiCad batteries rebuilt fairly inexpensively at battery stores with compatible NiMH batteries which do work
      fine with NiCd chargers.
      Wrong. Nicad batteries work in NiMH chargers. NiMH must never be charged in Nicad chargers due to being less accepting of overcharge and having a much smaller knee to detect end of charge.

Also, if your using them for daily work, Nicad are superior to NiMH for cycle life, as long as they are fully discharged at least once a month.
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Thanks a couple things I just learned by searching adds on ebay not all XRP battery packs are Lithium Ion in fact most are not and it looks like there are some China knock offs for half the money has anyone tried these? Here is an example add. http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-DeWALT-D...item46390d7cfd

Thanks for the info above I suspected the chargers were different.

I am leaning towards new batteries and replacing a couple units. It would be much more money to get what I have all replaced by another better brand.
        Last edited by gundog; 04-25-2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

If you use them professionally, I would not get the Lithium Ion batteries.

A friend has them. I was helping him remodel his house. Many times a day we would go up the ladder with the drill just to pull the trigger and get nothing. The batteries do not give any warning when going dead.

I have all 18v XRP nicads. I use them daily in the shop. Mostly drilling holes in metal. My batteries last 4-6 years. I just wait till they go on sale and buy a pair for $89.99 or $99.99.

Dewalt tools can be cheap to fix for the most part, but the switches and motors are about half the cost of a new tool.

Comment

I am not going with the lithium ion I will stick with the Ni cad that way my existing chargers will work.

Comment

Gundog,

I have tons of DeWalt 18 volt tools, including lithium ion and ni cad types. The XRP batteries are ni cad. The li-ion ones are not XRP. You can use the li-ion batteries in almost all other 18 volt equipment except for the radio and the small wet/dry vacuum. They put lugs on them so they won't even fit.

One other thing about the ni-cad batteries is that they have a memory and you need to discharge them before you re-charge them. If you keep just topping them off you will ruin them fast. If I know that I am going to need battery power tomorrow and don't have any charged up batteries I put them in the vacuum to run them down before charging them.

I hope this helps.

Brian

edit: Forgot to mention that I have 2 different sizes of ni-cad batteries for the 18 volt DeWalt tools. The larger ones are XRP batteries.
              Last edited by bborr01; 04-25-2015, 06:27 PM.
              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Check the DeWalt web site. Some DeWalt chargers will charge both NiCad and Li-ion, some wont. They have a list of models and which battery types they work with.

You may also want to check "package" pricing. I recently wanted to get 2 new batteries and found the cost of just 2 batteries (li-ion) was more than a promo package with a drill-driver, impact driver, 2 batteries, and charger.
                Kevin

More tools than sense.

Comment

Rebuilt batteries is is not a way to go. At work they tried this and the cells used do not have the AH (amp hours) that the original batteries do.

Watch HD they have sales of 2 batteries for $99.00 quite often.

Memory in batteries is no longer a problem, it is a carry over from the first gen battery tools. Have not had any problems with battery memory using any Dealt tools for quite a few years.

Mr fix it for the family
                  Chat

Comment

I just bought a pair of XRP 18V on ebay for $94 and free delivery I also picked up a new impact driver for $58 free delivery it was new unused out of a kit. I tried to find a bundle but it was cheaper buying separately. I am going to try and disassemble the drill and spray cleaner in the trigger if that doesn't work I will buy a new trigger for it.

By the way you can buy the 18V XRP battery in Lithium Ion or Ni cad the Ni cad is much cheaper and my existing chargers will work.

Thanks Mike

Comment

By the way you can buy the 18V XRP battery in Lithium Ion or Ni cad the Ni cad is much cheaper and my existing chargers will work.

Mike
                      Please show me a link to a Lithium Ion XRP 18 volt DeWalt battery!!!!

THANX RICH
                      People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Originally posted by v860rich View Post

Mike
                        Please show me a link to a Lithium Ion XRP 18 volt DeWalt battery!!!!

THANX RICH
                        http://www.dewalt.com/tools/cordless...es-dc9180.aspx

Comment

Funny thing is we took on Black & Deckers Pro line(great tools) & could not sell them because of B&Ds poor reputation so they bought Dewalts name & moulded the same tools in yellow plastic & sold them like hotcakes. Best markrting except maybe Apple I've ever seen. I compared all the tools at the start of Dewalt & they we exactly the same.
                          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                          country, in easy stages."
                          ~ James Madison

Comment

Has anyone else noticed that some of the tools don't have marked anywhere on the box whether the batteries are Li-Ion or NiCad? Also not mentioned is whether the charger is fast or 9 stinking hours.

Comment

The yellow chargers will charge both types of batteries.

Comment

Working...
                              X