Miniature Block and Tackle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miniature Block and Tackle

The other day I was rummaging around the parts drawers in the hardware store and found some miniature pulleys (sheaves) 1 1/2" in diamter with a ball bearing center, for about four bucks apiece. They inspired this miniature block and tackle.
    Working load limit is 60 pounds because of the brass hooks I chose. I figure the rest of it is good for 220 pounds, the working load for the connecting links. It will do to hoist bicycles up to the garage rafters.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Those are "cute" enough for just a "work of art" demo. Wish I had a pair. What kind of hardware was it?
    ...lew...

Comment

It turns out the "sheaves" are rollers for sliding doors. Google "sliding glass door rollers" to see some. The through-bolts are 1/4" diameter barrel bolts, sometimes called sex bolts. The wood is 3/8" thick cherry, the connector links are 1/8". The bars recessed into the wood cheeks and the center divider are aluminum, 1/8" thick hardware store stuff, probably 6061. I used that for ease of machining, and it's more than strong enough, 40,000 psi yield point.

(n.b. it's not clear to me how you can have a sliding door with rollers, but that's what the listings say.)
      Last edited by SGW; 04-26-2015, 03:59 PM.
      ----------
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.

Comment

Nice looking tackle. I'll have to remember the sliding door rollers.
        The rollers are on the bottom of the door.

That's also the way I take care of my bicycles, best way ever to keep them out of the way.

Comment

I have purchased pulleys from the farm type stores: Orschlen and Tractor Supply. They usually have a good assortment.
          Paul A.

Make it fit.
          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
            I have purchased pulleys from the farm type stores: Orschlen and Tractor Supply. They usually have a good assortment.
            For metal pulley blocks, a marine supply like West Marine.

Comment

Nice project! I'm a big fan of what I've always called a "fence stretcher" since that's what I used them for on the farm as a kid. They are just a little bigger, maybe 1/4" to 3/8" rope, and have a cam operated lock to hold tension on the pull rope. Hold the pull rope out away from the load and release, and the lock holds, give a straight pull in line with load, to release to free wheeling function. I don't know if the locking ones are still made, might be an OSHA thing, but they work fantastic if you understand them. Maybe you could trick yours out with a similar lock!

Comment

Fence stretcher? I saved one of these wire strainers when we left the farm and find it very useful especially when used with a long chain.

Comment

Now, you just need to splice some eyes in each end of the rope

Comment

If it was laid rope, I would splice in some eyes. Splicing braided rope is beyond me.
                    ----------

Comment

Working...
                    X