New mill! My first! I so excited!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New mill! My first! I so excited!

Like I posted in the "what did you do today" thread, I went and looked, offered, and bought a mill. It is a Lagun FT2 V-belt head. I thought in the listing a dro was mentioned but that was not the case. However it does come with a VFD already wired up so I will just have to plug in my single phase! The VFD has a remote control pad of which the display screen does not work but the display on the vfd itself works and is what you look at while adjusting the hz. Turns out the seller is a member over on PM and has done some mods to the mill and vfd already which are nice. He installed fans on the mill motor housing to pull air threw for when running the motor really slow and it can't cool itself. He also installed fans on the vfd box which come on when the mill is in use. He made up a wheel mod for the power downfeed which I don't totally understand yet but will figure it out. The machine looks to be in original paint yet which is in pretty good condition and out of all the mills I have looked at in the last 5 years has the tightest ways of them all. The X ways start to tighten up at their very extreme travel and have no visible slop in the middle, could only hear the oil squish while yanking and pulling on the table in the middle but couldn't see the table move. Table looks to be good cared for condition with no major gouges or drill marks. It does have a coolant setup which wasn't used by this guy though. Spun the machine up and there was no audible sound from the spindle what so ever and the spindle "ram?" looked to be perfect with no scratches or gouges or anything. Everything turned, moved, and done what it should.

Only downfall I could tell was no X power feed. After looking over the mill though I wasn't to worried about that part as it is something relatively cheap(ish) and easily added any time. The one other thing I will have to address and I believe I read before that it is quite a big job is the collet keyway (screw) is sheared off in the spindle. Again nothing I was willing to pass up a good mill for.

Machine comes with set of R8 collets, the VFD, a drill chuck, 6" vise, and thats about it. Nothing for tooling which kind of sucks but whats a guy to do. Paid 1900 and plan to pick it up within the next couple weeks. I have lots of rearranging to do in the shop now!

While it isn't very grimy I am curious if it is ok to power wash the machine while it is on the trailer on the way home? Nothing up top by the head at all, just the table down?

I will get pics when I get the machine here.
    Andy

Much nicer than my Sieg X3, congrats!

Comment

I have two Sieg mills - an X3 and an SX3.

If the OP has a better mill than my Sieg's he has done very well indeed and I do wish him well.

Comment

Looks like this one here but not this exact one.

Andy

Comment

It is better than my Sieg mills - congratulations.

Comment

So awesome...enjoy yourself!

John

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
              While it isn't very grimy I am curious if it is ok to power wash the machine while it is on the trailer on the way home? Nothing up top by the head at all, just the table down?
              Think about it....
              Would you pull the pan on a transmission or the head on a motor and power wash the rest? Water and dirt will get into places only a teardown will reach. Shop towels, rags, varsol, Stoddard solvent, Simple Green etc. and an oiling after are all you need to do.
              Last edited by Rosco-P; 04-27-2015, 10:36 AM.

Comment

YOU SUCK!!!

Seriously, a Lagun turret mill is a fine machine. Better than Bridgeport probably certainly better than present day BP. Stouter. Did you get the 40 MMT option? R8? No I guess not. Anyway, good score.

DO! NOT! EFFIN' POWERWASH!

That machine takes two hours of hand cleaning to swab down to unstained paint and bare cast iron. It will take a full day to dismantle the machine to wipe up the pressure wash detergent/water from the internals where, if left, it will promote rust locking the quill, knee, or saddle tight as a bull's a$$ at fly time.

Here's what you pressure wash: individual comletely disassembled parts like castings and fabrications where all internals may be accessed, blown out, and properly dried. You can pressure wash a truck or a locomotive because the machinery is sealed but even then you never point the lance at seals in bearings or hydraulics.
                Last edited by Forrest Addy; 04-27-2015, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I have a Lagun FT-2, great machine!

What is your first machining project? My first was an adapter to fit a Mopar 4spd into my El Camino; came out great.

My Lagun cost me $2000 25 years ago. Of course I have spent ~$5000 on accessories for it (right angle head, rotary table, VFD, DRO, tooling, etc.)

Have fun,

Mike

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I guess I won't stop at the car wash on the way home with it It is a fairly clean machine, just from the table down it has some grime from oilings. I will use towels and cleaner when I get home to clean it up.

Originally posted by MikeL46 View Post
                    I have a Lagun FT-2, great machine!

What is your first machining project? My first was an adapter to fit a Mopar 4spd into my El Camino; came out great.

My Lagun cost me $2000 25 years ago. Of course I have spent ~$5000 on accessories for it (right angle head, rotary table, VFD, DRO, tooling, etc.)

Have fun,

Mike

I don't have any plans for anything right off the bat. Mostly just clean and fix the couple things I know it needs (collet keyway). Then start saving and looking for blocks, clamps, tooling, and whatnot.

I guess if I had the time and wanted something to do I would pull the carriage off my atlas lathe and straiten up the ways on it.
                    Andy

Comment

Congrats & Enjoy!

Comment

Lagun makes a very nice machine. Well done!

Comment

Hi,

I love Lagun mills. And $1900 is an excellent price! On the other hand, no machine can eat up more money in a shop than a mill. So hold on tight to your wallet and have fun!!!

Dalee
                          If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

VPT,

Congratulations, I am just getting my mill up and running also. I used Simple Green and ZEP citrus degreaser (really works good ), then sometimes a little gasoline and paint degreaser/wax remover for some stubborn spots. Cleaned up real well, be sure to wipe it down with oil after your done.

Question, how import is the key for the collet? Mine is missing as well, with my first use it did not present any problems, anything to watch out for and should I be looking at replacing or are we OK without one.

TX
                            Mr fixit for the family
                            Chris

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the key in the quill. Most of the knee mills I've worked on didn't have them because they were purposely removed.
                              “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                              X