Mystery device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery device

Anyone know what the device with the wooden handle is?

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Almost (not quite) looks like a ginger grater and almost (not quite) like a parmesan cheese grater.

Are the holes like cutters on a grater? Is the side against the table flat or does it roll like a paint roller?

Is it used to texture pasta?

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 06-07-2004).]

Comment

It rolls like a paint roller. The holes aren't sharp and it isn't necessarily a kitchen tool.

Comment

Looks like the tool for embeding joint mesh in drywall joints.Or it could be a paint roller,or it could be a PETA approved minow can,its made so they can get exercise before being used for bait
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Didn't girls use those in the 50's to roll their hair?

Looks like a paint roller. Are the ends sealed or open?

Oh yea, good thing you clearified which item was in question. I was going to say the one on the left is freqently used as a small pry bar.

[This message has been edited by CCWKen (edited 06-07-2004).]

Comment

Looks a little like a fiberglass roller but those usualy have serated rollers. Or a different style of potato ricer?

Dave

Comment

Does it spread flour as you roll dough? It seems reasonable

Comment

The ends aren't sealed or open. Each end has an odd cone shaped piece in it held loosely by a nut. The cone shaped pieces have a gap of about 1/8" all the way around where it doesn't quite meet the rim at each end. I have never found anyone that can tell me with certainty what the heck it is. It is entirely aluminum.

Comment

Maybe it's some sort of berry or tomato press? The seeds would get trapped inside if of the right diameter ... oops, so would the berry or tomato
                  Den

Comment

Evan
                    can you supply a pic of each end???

------------------
                    Paul G.
                    Paul G.

Comment

It's used to roll warm sheets of rubber to be used in making basketballs. ...imparts the pebble'ed surface texture. (kidding of course)

Hard to tell from the pictures, are those end caps flush with the surface of the perforated portion of the cylinder? or do they stand 'proud'?
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I'll take some pictures of the ends tonight.

Comment

In days of old there were lots of cooking devices used solely for decorative effect. Of course that's still true today, e.g. cookie cutters, etc, but the devices don't seem as elaborate as back then. I can remember my Grandma had things to impart decorations on pie crusts and the like. Umm! I'd love to have some of her apple pie right now! Other devices I recall were molds for shaping butter after it was churned and separated from the milk. Those were wooden cylinders, tapered to provide enough draft for pushing the formed butter from the mold, and the top (enclosed) end was a plunger, also of wood, with floral or other decorative designs carved in reverse to create the pattern on the top of the butter and to push the butter out of the mold. But I digress...

While, as you say, that may NOT be a kitchen device, the short handle suggests some useage like that. A tool such as a paint roller typically has a longer shank between handle and the business end to offer more reach. So this would appear to be intended to use up close. The holes suggest to me it may have been intended for extracting juice from something. But if seeds passed thru it'd be a chore to clean up afterwards.

Bottom line is: I don't know! But it is interesting. I'm eager to learn more.
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I've seen that tool before, just can't remember what it's for. Not much help, am I.
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

It's a spaghetti contrifuge. When company comes you pack it with pasta dough and spin it up to 40,000 RPM. Instant spaghetti from the little holes. This is the angel hair model.

Comment

Working...
                              X