Project done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project done

Update on what did you do today. My little screw type splitter is done, could use more power though. Looking to improve with a 2 hp motor, one hp is a tad low.

Looks very nice! Any video of it in action?
    Andy

Comment

I saw some videos on You tube, they work slick. I wanted a compact one for at the lake.

Comment

So how do you cut a spiral thread on a cone??

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
        Oregon Coast

Comment

Saw a Russian site. Hand feed the cross slide with a rapid carriage travel from left to right, leave the traverse lever engaged, reverse and repeat. Not too hard once you start. Not a 60 deg. thread form. Could have used the thread feed screw for the same result and pitch.

Comment

Hook it up to that thing in the background.

The one you made looks nice and sturdy. Nice job on the belt guard, too. I'd probably be getting in a hurry by the time I got around to a detail like that.
            Last edited by winchman; 05-01-2015, 12:26 AM.
            Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Beautifully done but isnt an axe quicker and cheaper

Comment

An axe might be quicker and cheaper, but building machines it's a lot more fun Nice work metalbender!

Comment

It is nice ,I would like to see the thread being put on the cone though,still trying to wrap my head around how its done.

Comment

Very nice work.
                    Can't figure out how you cut the threads though.

I have one like that I attach to the PTO on my tractor.
                    It's the fastest, easiest splitter I have ever seen.
                    Bill

PS:
                    You used to be able to buy the threaded cone from the company that built my splitter.

Still can ------

http://www.thestickler.com
                    Last edited by Seastar; 05-01-2015, 09:13 AM.
                    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Having had surgery on both rotator cuffs makes splitting with an ax a real pain. The belt guard was made using my home built slip roll. I used to build stuff out of necessity when the family was young, serious lack of funds. Still have a chop saw and hydraulic arbor press I built many years ago. I could go out and buy stuff now but that defeats the purpose of all these tools in the garage. It's just plain fun to build things, engineering on the fly.

Comment

You don't use an axe to split wood, you use a splitting maul or wedges and a sledge hammer.

Brian

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                        Beautifully done but isnt an axe quicker and cheaper
                        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Nice job! That's the first one I have seen with that fine a pitch on the screw.Is the thread that fine because it's being driven faster or out of lathe limitations?
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I made the threads rather fine to try to compensate for only having a 1 hp motor. Even with that, it's under powered. Next week at the lake will tell, most wood is around 4-6 inch stuff. Having more power one could cut 4-8 tpi. I just used the regular feed, not the screw cutting feed, seat of the pants engineering. The tool is ground for a buttress type thread. Might make a new cone, longer taper, smaller dia, coarser thread, or, sssssspppppend money for more power. New cone first I think.

Comment

Have you considered putting notches in the thread to make it remove material instead of just pushing it out of the way? It would work like a regular tap instead of a fluteless tap. Seems like that would reduce the load on the motor.
                              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                              X