Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L-W dividing head... what did I just buy ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mklotz View Post
    Beats the hell out of me! Complete brain fart! I apologize for the confusion. I've corrected the original post.
    Ahhh okay... its starting to make sense now

Thanks

Comment

Does this help: http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Mil...ing-Heads.ashx
      or does it complicate matters.

IMHO, you really want to fiddle or practice with the head so you get comfortable with tracking the number of turn/positioning, etc. Wouldn't want to ruin a 72 tooth gear after having cut most of the teeth because of a brain fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
        Does this help: http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Mil...ing-Heads.ashx
        or does it complicate matters.

IMHO, you really want to fiddle or practice with the head so you get comfortable with tracking the number of turn/positioning, etc. Wouldn't want to ruin a 72 tooth gear after having cut most of the teeth because of a brain fart.
        I agree..

Im going to fool with making one of the smaller ones from scratch first. That way I wont be out anything other than a small piece of stock and minimal time.

Comment

Originally posted by Axkiker View Post
          I agree..

Im going to fool with making one of the smaller ones from scratch first. That way I wont be out anything other than a small piece of stock and minimal time.
          Good idea, maybe made out of Aluminum or plastic... Is it missing one of the sector arms or is it just playing peekaboo?

Comment

So any ideas on the following.

As you can see from the pic it didnt include a chuck and I dont plan on buying one any time soon. I checked fleabay and I can find #10 B&S dead centers with dogs attached but they are pretty pricey.

I am considering either figuring out a way to use my r8 collets or making some sort of adapter for the spindle nose since its threaded.

The spindle taper is what in my eyes sorta complicates things when considering the r8 option. The adapter for the spindle nose seems a bit easier as I could make all of it up then cut the 60 degree center using the mill with the adapter actually on the index...

any thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
              Good idea, maybe made out of Aluminum or plastic... Is it missing one of the sector arms or is it just playing peekaboo?
              They are both there

Comment

All I can say is I hope you live many years to enjoy your new toy er I mean dividing head . LOL Have fun brother Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I still have the CNC program from when I made my own dividing plates - let me know if you need a set

Comment

the owner of the company was a very strange person, which he was alleged to be.
                    I tried to find something about this, I love to read about personalities in metal shop history and wish I new where to look to read about him, but the name L&W stands for two people I believe, maybe one died?

Comment

I do it a bit different than Marv and perhaps a bit easier to understand. No fractions!

You want 72 divisions.

You have 40 divisions on the screw, one per revolution.

You have 18 divisions on the plate, 18 holes in a revolution.

40 X 18 = 720 total divisions with the combinations of the screw and the 18 hole plate.

You want 72 divisions. 720 / 72 = 10. (If you don't come out even, you have the wrong hole circle.)

So to cut a 72 tooth gear with the 40:1 head and the 18 hole plate you advance 10 holes for each tooth. Easy Peasy!

If the number of holes you get with this procedure is more than the number on your hole circle, then you need to use one or more complete turns and then go for the remaining number of holes. So if you determine that you need to advance for 100 holes on a 30 hole circle plate, you would use three complete turns for 90 holes and then an additional 10 holes to come to the full 100.

Oh, and the divisions where I have marked that you can use "any" plate are the only ones where you rotate back to the same hole each time. This would be after one or more full rotations.

Originally posted by Axkiker View Post
                      WOW you are a wealth of knowledge. I guess im still confused though which isnt surprising. So one of the gears I need to cut is a 72 tooth gear. I assume based on the chart you provided I would use the plate with an 18 hole pattern. Does this mean I spin the handle one full revolution and pin it in the original hole I selected???

Sorry still trying to figure all this out

Thanks
                      Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 05-03-2015, 09:49 PM.
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Make it fit.
                      You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFin View Post
                        I still have the CNC program from when I made my own dividing plates - let me know if you need a set
                        PM sent

Comment

To the OP....Your internal spindle taper is most likely B&S #9

I used to have an L-W dividing Head, but sold it. Its a very nice & solid versatile dividing head. But I went over to the dark side. I now have a Hardinge dividing head. But anyway, I have numerous L-W dividing head documents in my webspace. In the link below over at practicalmachinst.com you can access links for them all.

Go down to the links in post #6:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...-parts-131285/
                          Last edited by morsetaper2; 05-07-2015, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by morsetaper2 View Post

I used to have an L-W dividing Head, but sold it. Its a very nice & solid versatile dividing head. But I went over to the dark side. I now have a Hardinge dividing head. But anyway, I have numerous L-W dividing head documents in my webspace. In the link below over at practicalmachinst.com you can access links for them all.

So why did you go with the hardinge??? Not doubting your decision just curious the differences ? I dont know much about this dividing head stuff

Comment

Originally posted by morsetaper2 View Post

Maybe I am not measuring in the correct location but my spindle measures 1.250 + (big end) Wouldnt this be a BS #10

Also thanks for the links...

Comment

Another thing im curious about is it okay to take off the helical milling attachment. I dont have a mill that would even be able to attach to this so its only being used as a handle. I would rather remove and put in storage.

Any drawback from such ???

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X