Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

L-W dividing head... what did I just buy ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Axkiker View Post
    Another thing im curious about is it okay to take off the helical milling attachment. I dont have a mill that would even be able to attach to this so its only being used as a handle. I would rather remove and put in storage.

Any drawback from such ???

Thanks
    Interested in trading for the brother without the Uni ?

Comment

Originally posted by Axkiker View Post
      So why did you go with the hardinge???
      It takes 5C collets, much larger capacity (1-1/16 max) than B&S#9 (11/16 max??). And can be easily found by 1/64's, metric, etc. Plus the available tooling that is available to fit the Harding tapernose spindle.

Comment

Originally posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post
        Interested in trading for the brother without the Uni ?
        I didnt have any plans on getting rid of this but maybe... ill pm you.

Comment

Originally posted by morsetaper2 View Post
          It takes 5C collets, much larger capacity (1-1/16 max) than B&S#9 (11/16 max??). And can be easily found by 1/64's, metric, etc. Plus the available tooling that is available to fit the Harding tapernose spindle.
          Ahhhhh makes sense. I have thought about trying to figure out a way to allow this head to accept r8 collets. Would make life easier for sure

Comment

I have a 6-1/2" dividing head from L W, and it seems to be a well built piece. Mine came with a third index plate that went up to 49 holes. This would allow me to make a 1960 tooth gear should I ever need one, but I really don't have all day for that.

Mine is B&S #9 and I was able to find an adapter to take it down to Morse #2, which is very handy for my needs. It also has 1-1/2 x 8tpi threads on the spindle, which is handy for me also as I have two lathes and a number of accessories in that size.

Assuming yours to be B&S #10, you could get an end mill holder and make up a hardened press fit insert for it, then grind the 60 degree point with everything in place in the head. There would be room on the exposed part of the holder for a home-made drive dog.

Comment

Your 49 division plate would allow you to make multiples of 7 and 49 divisions: 7, 14, 28, 35, 49, 56, 70, 98, etc. and some of these are much more likely to be useful. For instance, in a motor drive 49 may be used instead of 50 when approximately 5:1 is needed as it will allow the tooth wear to average out over all the teeth of both gears. It is all about prime numbers and 7 is one. That plate has two 7s so it allows the multiples of 7 X 7 = 49. You probably have others that have one 7 in them, like 21 or 35.

On the other hand, if I were a betting man, I would not bet that a 49 hole circle would be used very often. It is probably there for the sake of completeness as there is no other way to get 49 or 98 divisions with a 40:1 worm and many makers and buyers like to see the spec read all divisions up to XX, often up to 100. For instance, 53 or 97 are hard ones to include as they is a prime numbers so you need 53 and 97 hole circles with almost any worm ratios. Those are rarely included; not never, just rarely.

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe View Post
              I have a 6-1/2" dividing head from L W, and it seems to be a well built piece. Mine came with a third index plate that went up to 49 holes. This would allow me to make a 1960 tooth gear should I ever need one, but I really don't have all day for that.

Mine is B&S #9 and I was able to find an adapter to take it down to Morse #2, which is very handy for my needs. It also has 1-1/2 x 8tpi threads on the spindle, which is handy for me also as I have two lathes and a number of accessories in that size.

Assuming yours to be B&S #10, you could get an end mill holder and make up a hardened press fit insert for it, then grind the 60 degree point with everything in place in the head. There would be room on the exposed part of the holder for a home-made drive dog.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Thanks for posting this as I had forgotten I had a L-W dividing head so I had my son dig it out. It measure 9" high, has a 5" dividing plate & a 10" threaded face plate with precision placed multiple threaded holes in specific patterns. I have 2 7" dividing plates & pointer with many more holes & 2 diverent patterns that will fit. I remember a friend called about a Big Joe type push forklift at a yard sale so I wenr & the owner wouldn't budge off $100 but everything else was stupid cheap. The push lift I really like because you can dpread the legs to fit around most any pallet & it has a 2000# cap. If you see one that won't go up & the batteries good PM me & I'll tell you the fix as everyone I've bought has the same problem & it's a $5 fix. Thanks again!
                Last edited by flylo; 05-09-2015, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X