Worn degree marks on compound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worn degree marks on compound.

Does anyone have suggestions for replacing the painted on graduation marks on my lathe's compound. I would like to engrave them, but have no clue as to how to go about it.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Thanks Mike, this is just what I needed. I have saved your PDF for future reference. It never occurred to me to make an engraved ring. I had been trying to figure out how to engrave the base of the compound but I much prefer your solution. Now on to devising an indexing mechanism for the spindle.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

My "as supplied" top-slide angle markings are not bad at all and do fine for most stuff - as here:

Here is the set-up I use when I need it reasonably accurate. The protractor vernier is accurately calibrated to 1/10 of 1 degree (60/10 = 6 minutes of arc = 0.00175" inches per inch ~ 1 in 572) using the side of the top-slide (which is parallel to the axis of the top slide dove-tails. The protractor uses the face of the chuck (which is square to the spindle axis) as a reference.

It is quick and accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
        My "as supplied" top-slide angle markings are not bad at all and do fine for most stuff - as here:

Here is the set-up I use when I need it reasonably accurate. The protractor vernier is accurately calibrated to 1/10 of 1 degree (60/10 = 6 minutes of arc = 0.00175" inches per inch ~ 1 in 572) using the side of the top-slide (which is parallel to the axis of the top slide dove-tails. The protractor uses the face of the chuck (which is square to the spindle axis) as a reference.

It is quick and accurate.
        My markings are pretty well worn off which I suspect is the result of the PO using solvent to clean the machine. Like you, I use a protractor to set the angle when accuracy dictates.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

I agree with Oldtiffe
          Check to see if the left side of your Tool-slide is parrallel to the positive Gib.
          It looks like it is made that way from your picture.
          On my lathe, I ground the side surface(as seen in the picture) while supporting the way with dowel Pins.

I have no markings because I dropped in a taper attachment cross-slide, but did scribe a 29.5 degree threading line.
          Using a protractor is fast and more accurate IMHO.
          I do not remove the jaws from the chuck , but just use the area between 2 of the jaws.
          Or you can use a 1-2-3 block as a chuck surface extension.
          The same block gives the Tool post a perfect 90 relationship to the spindle centerline

Rich

Rich
          Green Bay, WI

Comment

Here is an article that may be of use to you regarding graduated collars

I just saw that Mike Burdick beat me to it with the same information.

Errol Groff
            Last edited by Errol Groff; 05-05-2015, 12:45 PM.
            Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
            http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

Here you go.

Isn't the search feature wonderful?
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

If you are implying that I didn't bother to search before posting this thread you are wrong. I tried multiple searches before starting this thread, none of which turned up anything as useful as the link you provided. Thank you for that. The search feature is a great tool, especially if you get lucky and happen to enter the correct, arbitrary elements.
                If anyone reading this is interested, and discovered the 8 year old links are no longer viable, this is an updated one for the Avery clear project paper:http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Pro...ank|0||Product Number|1&refchannel=fc0c1828c503a110VgnVCM10000021 18140aRCRD
                Last edited by Dave C; 05-06-2015, 12:25 PM.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Dave, apologies. I guess I was implying that and I should have been more polite as I do know the problems with the search feature here. It sucks. I often can not find my own past threads. But I do like to encourage people to use the search before posting.

Actually, I cheated as I remembered that Evan had posted that thread and so I included his name in the search. I guess that helped.

Again, I am sorry if I was out of line.

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                  If you are implying that I didn't bother to search before posting this thread you are wrong. I tried multiple searches before starting this thread, none of which turned up anything as useful as the link you provided. Thank you for that. The search feature is a great tool, especially if you get lucky and happen to enter the correct, arbitrary elements.
                  If anyone reading this is interested, and discovered the 8 year old links are no longer viable, this is an updated one for the Avery clear project paper:http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/Pro...ank|0||Product Number|1&refchannel=fc0c1828c503a110VgnVCM10000021 18140aRCRD
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                    Dave, apologies. I guess I was implying that and I should have been more polite as I do know the problems with the search feature here. It sucks. I often can not find my own past threads. But I do like to encourage people to use the search before posting.

Actually, I cheated as I remembered that Evan had posted that thread and so I included his name in the search. I guess that helped.

Again, I am sorry if I was out of line.
                    Thanks Paul, you are a class act. Perhaps we both got out of the wrong side of the bed before posting. It's also possible that I'm a crotchety old curmudgeon with sensitivity issues, exacerbated by frustration due to failure to make my lathe spindle index in one degree increments. I'd like to go back to 3rd grade and ask Sister Mary Anthony to diagram that sentence.
                    Last edited by Dave C; 05-07-2015, 02:05 AM.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

I don't know about Sister Mary Anthony, but I KNOW Sister Cecilia could. But that was 5th or 6th grade, IIRC.

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
                      ...<snip>...

I'd like to go back to 3rd grade and ask Sister Mary Anthony to diagram that sentence.
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Comment

Isn't this site wonderful, it's remarkable that one would find an apology, and a recipient address accepting said apology, it doesn't happen much in the world, btw I often due to an aspergig mentality blurt out what I'm thinking and it often comes out as being rude, facetious, sarcastic or just plain nasty, even though I don't actually mean to be and am not in the slightest bit nasty or mean, I just have a big mouth!, well done gentlemen.
                        I digress, as I often do, my old harrison top slide I has a worn degree collar, I was thinking, oddly
                        There was an old dean smith and grace in work that had been modified, there was an index pin hole drilled through on the top slide at all the useful angles, you just swung it till the pin went in.
                        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                          I don't know about Sister Mary Anthony, but I KNOW Sister Cecilia could. But that was 5th or 6th grade, IIRC.
                          LOL. At 3 score and 14, I don't recall much.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                            Isn't this site wonderful, it's remarkable that one would find an apology, and a recipient address accepting said apology, it doesn't happen much in the world, btw I often due to an aspergig mentality blurt out what I'm thinking and it often comes out as being rude, facetious, sarcastic or just plain nasty, even though I don't actually mean to be and am not in the slightest bit nasty or mean, I just have a big mouth!, well done gentlemen.
                            I digress, as I often do, my old harrison top slide I has a worn degree collar, I was thinking, oddly
                            There was an old dean smith and grace in work that had been modified, there was an index pin hole drilled through on the top slide at all the useful angles, you just swung it till the pin went in.
                            Mark
                            I should change my signature to "Be sure brain is in gear before mouth is engaged". I like the index pin idea.

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                            X