Do you often fall or fall over?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you often fall or fall over?

Many of us are "old" by any measure and may be prone to unexpected "falls".

It can be risky at least in and around the house and in the shop.

Here is an article from the Harvard Medical School (by a medical Doctor).

http://www.intelihealth.com/article/...-falls?level=0

That's one of my major concerns. Ever since my second stroke my balance is very poor.
    I can still walk OK but if I'm tired or it's dark I have a hard time - I'd never pass a drunk test.
    Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

I think the Woodstock generation is starting to realize their parents were right about some things

Comment

One big problem here is older men in particular who fall off ladders and roofs and the like - nearly all around the house.

Comment

In Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy the author described that you learn to fly by throwing yourself at the ground and distract yourself at the last moment so you simply miss hitting it. No impact? Tadaa! ... flight then.

Could be it's just opportunity knocking. Heck, both falling and getting distracted are much easier the older you get. Maybe it's just fate lending an impatient helping hand.

Forgetting gets easier as you age too though. Don't forget to be distracted. That's my mantra.

p.s. What did you expect with ladders and roofs? You normally don't find either of those out in the woodsy wilderness. Safer to take a nap - it's hard to fall off the ground.
          Some people's kids...
          Last edited by tyrone shewlaces; 05-05-2015, 01:48 AM.

Comment

The last health questionnaire I took asked if I was afraid of falling. I chuckled as I answered yes. Anyone not afraid of falling is just nuts, but hopefully just being afraid doesn't mean you stop doing things. It just makes you take more precautions and think more about what you're doing. Sometimes that leads to the decision to not do something. That's being smart, not a sign of fear.
            Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Wow was someone watching me? I can't believe I just saw this here, I am sitting here right now at this very moment with a bandage on left arm just under my elbow and it's two O'clock in the morning, I am waiting for the pain meds I just took for the pain in my left leg to start working so I can go back to bed and try to get some sleep! What happened? Well I fell of course! I was concentrating on the piece of metal bar I had in my hand that I had just picked up from my scra,,,,,,,,,,,err, stock pile trying to decide if it would be big enough for what I needed it for when due to "inattention" I quite simply tripped over my own feet as I was turning around and fell, as luck would have it, over onto a lawnmower sitting under the same shed. I got numerous scrapes and bruises, mostly to my lower left arm which became entangled in the mower handle as I fell, and a twisted left leg that is hurting considerably, so much so that as I said here I am at two O'clock in the morning sitting at my computer waiting on the pain meds to bring some relief to my leg! Then I come here and what do I find but this thread asking about people falling?

Comment

Most people have simply not been taught how to deal with ladders, they just stick it against the wall and climb up, often with arms full, no surprise that they end up on the floor, there are some simple rules that could prevent this, getting the ladder angle right, securing it with a tether to the building, or pegs into the ground, keeping three points of contact, pull what you need up on a rope instead of carrying it, wearing boots or shoes with a good heel ( handy riding a horse too to stop your foot slipping through a stirrup iron, yes I did and it hurt!)
                Blood pressure can cause dizziness too, bending down standing up suddenly and immediately starting to climb, you're about 3 or 4 rungs up when you get dizzy.
                Once at the top I tend to lash ladder tops, if there's nothing I drill and fit a wall eye, always useful, the stainless ones are dirt cheap.
                Just these basic things would remove half the accidents, and they are just common sense.
                Cluter in shops and on scafholding also is a killer.
                A useful tip, if you loose your grip on a ladder, don't try to reach the rung you lost, go for the next one down, it's closer, practice doing that on the bottom rung, it does work, instinct will make you try to reach something you don't have any chance of getting.
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                  practice doing that on the bottom rung,
                  Mark
                  So I need to lay on the floor and practice grabbing the rung below the bottom rund.......that is going to be hard because there is no rung bellow the bottom rung. Mark you are not making any sense. I want to see a video of you practicing!
                  How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

The worst fall I had off a ladder was while I was sandblasting a big tank. I climbed about 4 meters high up on a ladder, pointed my nozzle at the tank and THEN hit the on button. I was using a 1000 cubic foot per minute compressor. Me and the ladder went sailing. Of course I had to hang on to the hose and just ride the fall down. I wasn't hurt but I sure felt stupid. It was just like on an aircraft carrier with the push off ramps up for take off.
                    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

I've got Parkinson's disease, which affects balance and the way one falls. Normally,if one stats to fall over, one can take corrective action. People with PD tend to fall like a tree that's been cut. They just topple. I've had a couple of rather spectacular falls, in one instance breaking a vertebra in my neck and in another instance crackng a couple of ribs. I now proceed more cautiously.....
                      ----------
                      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
                        One big problem here is older men in particular who fall off ladders and roofs and the like - nearly all around the house.
                        It could be deliberate, of course:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvJc7szD-RM

George

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                          So I need to lay on the floor and practice grabbing the rung below the bottom rund.......that is going to be hard because there is no rung bellow the bottom rung. Mark you are not making any sense. I want to see a video of you practicing!
                          No,
                          You need to learn the art of Ukemi............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx4GLiyPZz0

JL..................

Comment

One other cause to consider is a herniated disc especially in the neck. Most know I broke my back 6+ years ago & had 4 disc removed & 2 cages but in, wore a "bone growth stimulater" 8 hrs a day for 6 month then had to learn how to walk again & use a 4 legged cane. Any I was at my back surgeon for a 6 month checkup & he noticed my hands were losing muscle (athropy) & asked about it. I told him my hands were numb sometimes & I drop things so he sent me for a MRI on my neck & I have a ruptrured disc pressing on the spinal cord but no neck pain. Waiting to hear for the insurance co to approve treatment/disc removal which should be a walk in the park compared to my lower back deal. I haven't been falling but it is a symptom as well as leg & lower back pain. I was young & strong, best shape of my life, could ride 100 miles on my mtn bike, bench 400# leg press 650#, fly several times a week, sky & scuba dive, then ONE day I woke up Old & Feeble. Everyone in earshot please don't put off anything till tomorrow, do everything you get a chance to NOW & make it happen with GUSTO!
                            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                            country, in easy stages."
                            ~ James Madison

Comment

Do you often fall or fall over?

Only when I'm drinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X