X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldtiffie
    • Nov 1999

Heavy lifting in OZ

I had this link arrive recently and I thought that some who like big trucks, haulers and lifters might be interested.

Their office and yard are about 40km (~25 miles) from here.

I had then deliver my shaper on a truck in "back-load" mode for some 600+ km (~360 miles) delivered on a sizeable tilting truck which also had a big fork-lift to unload and place the shaper for me. Cost was very good and the service was "tops".

The link is worth a look.

Last edited by oldtiffie; 05-08-2015, 03:38 AM.
  • Willy
    • Oct 2005

Thanks for the link Tiffie but I believe the link below may offer a somewhat better glimpse at some of their services and equipment.

Never got to play with any of the really big stuff myself, only got up to the 140 ton payload level. Oh well too late now as I'm pretty much parked now except for the occasional favor to colleagues that are in a bind for help.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• oldtiffie
      • Nov 1999

Thanks Willy - appreciated for the better info.

I just posted the link as it came to me by email.

They publish regular newsletters too.

Membry's trucks always look new and they shine - just like motor cyclists here - Harley Davidsons mainly.

Comment

• tlfamm
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post

...I had then deliver my shaper on a truck in "back-load" mode ...

Known as a "back-haul" in the States Apparently it was once not unheard for a trucker driving for a major company to arrange private back-hauls on the side (not necessarily with his employer's knowledge). I heard a story from a trucker about one such back-haul. The 'official' load was a 40' box trailer filled with unmilled wheat grain. The unofficial back-haul consisted of white PVC pellets headed for a plumbing fitting manufacturer.

The trucker (not the story-teller) neglected to sweep the wheat leftovers between original load and back-haul. Wheat and pellets both went through the extruder at the manufacturing plant; major debacle ensued.

Apocryphal? Maybe ...

The story was told to me by a trucker hauling a 40' box loaded with PVC pipe fittings.

Comment

• oldtiffie
          • Nov 1999

Nope.

The back-load/haul was arranged and provided by the company - and billed by them and paid for by me. The company rang me to advise that the shaper had been unloaded in their yard awaiting my requirements for delivery to me.

Comment

• quasi
            • Jun 2003

in Canada 600 km is around 360 miles. Kilometers must be different when they are upside down.

Comment

• oldtiffie
              • Nov 1999

Originally posted by quasi View Post
              in Canada 600 km is around 360 miles. Kilometers must be different when they are upside down.
              'tis too.

Many thanks for the catch quasi - which I've amended - appreciated.

Comment

• quasi
                • Jun 2003

just having a little fun tiffie, I make enough mistakes every day to make a Bureaucrat ashamed.

Comment

• oldtiffie
                  • Nov 1999

I appreciate that quasi - and the thought that went behind it too.

I should have checked it better before I posted it.

If nothing else a mistake or a "should have known better" episode pulls me up with a badly needed "jolt" and gets me re-focussed - and that is no bad thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X