Chinese VFD's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese VFD's?

Did not want to hijack the thread on VFD questions, so I started this one. Are there problems with Chinese VFD's? Anything to watch out for? I need to power up a 7.5 HP Colchester with home sized electric. The other option would be swap out the motor for a 3 HP. I have been getting along with a 1 HP lathe and am afraid 7.5 HP would totally spoil Me. What do You all think?
    mark costello-Low speed steel

The Huanyang are the most often seen.

They seem to be pretty trashy, and experiences vary a lot. Some instantly fail on power-up, others are reported to work fine.

I have seen the construction, and I am not impressed. Does not seem possible that they could pass a legitimate UL recognition test, too many things wrong. They are built in a way reminiscent of a 1970's Pioneer stereo receiver, not like industrial equipment.

The general appearance of a Huanyang VFD suggests corners cut and re-cut all over the place. Specs appear to be assumed to be valid at their 25C values even at full power out, etc, etc.

I got just one question for you........ Do you feel lucky?

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

The good news is I have a Pioneer QX-949 receiver and it has been going fine for over 40 years!

Comment

Originally posted by Mcostello View Post
        Are there problems with Chinese VFD's?
        Anything to watch out for?
        Yes The manual :-)

Apart from virtually no support, Most of the instruction are are in Chinglish.
        e.g. on connecting to 1ph in.
        "The 220v can can connect willfully two phases of R.S.T."
        Trying to decipher their version of the Modbus interface is a nightmare.
        Max.

Comment

I bought a couple Huanyang & think I've seen a forum or at least clear instructions online. I think it's like buying at Horror Fright, if it works well the 1st time you power it up you'll probably be OK, if not you lose. Put in your nicke & pull the handle. Myself I'm buying a smaller one in the US for the 1st install for the support before "flying solo" with the Huanyang.
          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
          country, in easy stages."
          ~ James Madison

Comment

I have a Huanyang 1.5kw that's been running a CNC router for 6 months or so with no issues.

Comment

+1 on the crappy Huanyang manual.

I still don't have the control logic working exactly as I would like, although it does control the motor correctly. I tried to incorporate a stop button, still not working, in addition to the FOR OFF REV manual switch which does work. The switch is of course wired to the control logic and not to the motor.

It is a 3 hp model and has been under daily use for a year.

paul
              paul
              ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
              but you may have to

Comment

Going to be hard pressed to find a 7.5HP VFD rated for single phase input, so you'll likely have to derate it meaning you'd need more like a 10 or 15HP unit.

Comment

Build an RPC, buy more three phase machines.

Comment

I have 3 units that serve as phase converters for the heat pumps that heat the shop. They have all run perfectly for about 3 years now.

That said, the previous comments about the manual are very accurate. I would hesitate to recommend them to anyone that did not have extensive previous experience programming VFDs.

Also as stated previously, the mechanical construction is somewhat delicate. Ham fisted installation will certainly break terminal boards, enclosures, etc. Even normal fisted installation can cause some problems.

Dave

Comment

You can certainly buy a 7.5hp vfd rated for single phase ($1000) but you wont find them in the ebay generic Chinese lines...

If you want to go that route here's one : http://www.driveswarehouse.com/p-2124-pc1-75.aspx

Or.. if you want to use a quality 15hp 3 phase (less $$$) and derate it for 7.5 single phase : http://driveswarehouse.com/p-2537-wj200-110lf.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                        You can certainly buy a 7.5hp vfd rated for single phase ($1000) but you wont find them in the ebay generic Chinese lines...
                        [/url]
                        It would appear that the HuanYang version is rated for either single or 3 phase.

Which is a perfect example of why they exist and are viable in the marketplace. At one half to one third the cost of competing units, they are very attractive to someone that doesn't need all of the bells and whistles of the $1000.00 unit.

Dave

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-TOP-220V...item3f349175f7

Comment

I installed a Huanyang VFD on a band saw about 1 month ago and it works well. A few days ago I added a 10,000 ohm pot to the faceplate that fit the existing circuit board that I suppose is an option that is available but wasn't installed on the one that I purchased. I can now adjust the HZ using the pot instead of punching in numbers on the faceplate. The unit worked well from the get go and for $128.00 I am very satisfied with it.

Dwight

Comment

Personally if going cheap I prefer to look out for a high end model from a reputable seller off ebay for Mitsubishi, Allen-Bradly, Square D etc. Even if second hand, so far I have have very good luck.

Here is a Chinese model that looks like it might be a step above the Huanyang, also cheap for 7.5hp.
                            Ebay 201326406179
                            Max.

Comment

Originally posted by becksmachine View Post
                              It would appear that the HuanYang version is rated for either single or 3 phase.

Which is a perfect example of why they exist and are viable in the marketplace. At one half to one third the cost of competing units, they are very attractive to someone that doesn't need all of the bells and whistles of the $1000.00 unit.

Dave

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-TOP-220V...item3f349175f7

I'd like to see it state definitely if the 7.5kw is available with single phase input. I have some high end vfds that are 7.5hp on 3 phase, but only 1.5hp on single phase. Take care out there!

I'm less concerned with bells and whistles than reliability.
                              Last edited by lakeside53; 05-07-2015, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X