Non detergent oil questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non detergent oil questions

I have looked online and discovered that the correct oil for my mill gearbox is iso68. Now on the forum they recommended non detergent oil due to it letting foreign particles settle in the sump. But when I talked to the oil rep he said that detergent is essential otherwise the oil will oxidize.
    Can someone help me out and give me some answers?

He's assuming the additive that suspends particles is the same one that prevents oxidation. From what I'm reading, all machine oils have additives for oxidation.
    Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

He sounds like an idiot. He's probably just telling you what someone told him. Non detergent is preferred but the most import thing in my opinion is whatever is in there is the correct grade and clean.
      Mike
      Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
        He sounds like an idiot. He's probably just telling you what someone told him. Non detergent is preferred but the most import thing in my opinion is whatever is in there is the correct grade and clean.
        +1 to the above. Same is true when it comes to finding a substitute for an obsolete lubricant. I've gotten good advice from this board: http://forums.noria.com/groupee

Comment

Run don't walk away from your oil rep for he has just demonstrated that his knowledge of lubricating oils is severely lacking.

An ISO 68 oil refers only to it's viscosity not it's qualities. while there are a number of suitable candidates for use as a gearbox oil for your mill, (a straight hydraulic oil in ISO 68 comes to mind) I won't make any specific recommendations as I have no idea what exact oil the manufacturer of you mill recommends, or even what type of mill we are discussing.

Keep in mind that all spindle and hydraulic oils that I have ever encountered, ( 25 years with Shell/Texaco/Esso) were all R&O fortified oils. This basically assures you that they have additives that fight rust and oxidation among a host of other qualities.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I & many others use straight weight mineral oil with no additives in prewar aircraft so the bit's will settle & stick to the sump & not recirculate as they only have a screen & no filter so I understand the concept but don't agree for a lathe unless the mfg states it.

Comment

Working...
            X