Treadmill motor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treadmill motor question

I have become the proud owner of a Lifestyle 550 treadmill in working condition. Since I am in the best shape I am going to be for the rest of my life I am going to put the motor to another use. Could someone tell me what I am looking for in the components so it may be convertable. I also need a wiring diagram to understand what is going on
    Last edited by rolland; 05-13-2015, 09:29 PM. Reason: add question

Just start tearing it apart. Everything you will need is in the fat part of the base.

grab the motor and any circuit boards near it and post a pic of what ya got .. we'll

steer you from there.
    John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Be sure to mark what wires connected where on the circuit board. Makes getting things back up and running easier.

You really wont have that many components. Motor, control board, transformer, some type of control to vary the motor speed. (possibly a pot)

Comment

Observe the rotation direction of the motor, it will tell you the direction you need to take for removing the flywheel, LH or RH thread. (If threaded on).
        Max.

Comment

I have used my Lifestyler motor/controller to drive a custom conveyor belt system. Works great, I used the entire controller to get repeatable speeds. My circuit boards are very well marked as to what goes where. I have a PDF of the owners manual, and my circuit diagram if yours is unreadable.

Be sure and save the speed encoder, it is needed for speed control. The encoder wheel is on the belt drive roller opposite the motor end, and the sensor is a plastic fork type device that straddles the encoder. You can replace the entire digital speed controller with a 3 wire pot, the board is even marked this way, but it won't control rpm if the load changes. Or use a third party controller from eBay.

Here is the tutorial I used to build mine:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-...M-Speed-Contr/

Dennis

Comment

Pretty nice write up Dennis.

Would like to add that some controllers will let you start up at a set speed, but otherwise
            like I said .. great write up.

Comment

Dennis
              I like the write up but can't download the pdf can you send it another way?

Comment

They can be used to make great belt grinders, drill presses and anything that might make use of a variable speed motor.

Randy
                Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

Originally posted by rolland View Post
                  Dennis
                  I like the write up but can't download the pdf can you send it another way?
                  The link I posted seems to work fine. It isn't a download, just a web page tutorial. Press "next page" at the bottom of each page. I'll send the pdf of the owners manual by email. Dennis

Comment

Well I am now swimming with the sharks, I have removed all the necessary parts for making a new drive system and need some help putting it back in order. Have marked all the connections and posting photos

Comment

Pins labeled 1 & 2 are for the mains usually labeled L1 & L2.

3 & 4 go to the motor just like it says.

Red White Black are for the speed control. Now, not knowing which board it
                      is, I don't know if it can be controlled with a simple pot. But you won't hurt anything
                      trying .. just hook everything up and connect the three wires to a pot and see what
                      happens.

You can throw away the main console circuit board ... you won't need it.

Comment

I didn't include a picture of the board but it is marked an MC-60

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
                          Red White Black are for the speed control. Now, not knowing which board it
                          is, I don't know if it can be controlled with a simple pot. But you won't hurt anything
                          trying .. just hook everything up and connect the three wires to a pot and see what
                          happens.
                          I concur. "H,W, and L" would seem to be "high, wiper, & low." Connect the wiper of your variable resistor to W. The other two can go either way, as they are actually providing references.

Comment

There are four versions of the MC-60, some are analogue and some are PWM.
                            The HWL does stand for H= high (12v) W = Wiper and L = low potential (0v).
                            There are also configuration resistors that can be snipped to change the CL Current Limit and also to change the necessity of have zero wiper of the pot to start.
                            Max.

Comment

Max
                              You just went waaaaay over my head would you care to explain further???

Comment

Working...
                              X