There's going to be some more delay's with the flying car thing - sorry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's going to be some more delay's with the flying car thing - sorry

I know how so many here have been waiting and wanting --- there is not a week that goes bye when I here it all over again - where's my flying car I was promised? and yet still --- it's not going very well,,,

http://www.cnet.com/news/revolutiona...tag=YHF65cbda0

Well, duh. They've all been going at it wrong. Rather than trying to make a flying car, they should be trying to make a plane that can go on the roads. Obvious, right?
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

We have that now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnF2yua4KIw

Then there's the gyro car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CajAq6ndJYE
      Last edited by michigan doug; 05-11-2015, 09:10 AM.

Comment

They need to loose the wings all together, it's suppose to be a flying car not an airplane that drives. High power magnetic levitation with gas turbines for movement. Better still some sort of gravity inhibitor.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Bah!
          I'm just weeks away from perfecting the "flux capacitor" All I need is a few million to finish up a few details. Invest now and get in on the ground floor!

Comment

Meh, I prefer to have some decent mass density connecting me to mother earth. That being said, I did put some serious consideration into buying a beautifully complete and original (good driver, just faded) Amphicar at a swap meet back ~2009'ish for $1500 from a guy who really needed cash.
            "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

You should have bought it. Cheap ones now are around 30K.

Brian

Originally posted by justanengineer View Post
              Meh, I prefer to have some decent mass density connecting me to mother earth. That being said, I did put some serious consideration into buying a beautifully complete and original (good driver, just faded) Amphicar at a swap meet back ~2009'ish for $1500 from a guy who really needed cash.
              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Probably just as well.
                Considering the carnage and mayhem out there already I can't imagine having millions of buffoons up there mixing it up with each other on their way to pick up a few ballerina lessons and pizza.
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

MD those are funny birds, wow what a "blind spot" that first one has...

Im thinking the whole idea of the flying car is flawed for the masses, I mean images of flying over traffic jams is appealing until you realize that everyone will be trying to do just that, and there is no way to control that kinda air traffic,
                  and if there ever was then that would just make the roads clear again - so why bother,,,

so the only real place they may be able to be used is in rural area's - and again why bother - there's never any traffic jams, plus having some kind of conversion vehicle will be a total fuel pig in comparison to what were now achieving with vehicles... not to mention about 10 or more times the cost...

I really do not think there will ever be solid dependable affordable practical efficient flying cars...

but that's not to say there may be a niche market for wealthy people who "just want to be different" and or the same who actually have a reason - like living in rural area's where you have to drive 100 or so miles out of your way just to get to some place that's only 20 or so as the crow fly's - there's definitely a few places like that in my state that's for sure,

although I don't think id want to take any of those gutless pigs over some of the Mt. passes that separate point A to point B as "real planes" can have a tough enough time and do...

Edit; Willy beat me too it

Comment

If those things could somehow be made into a viable form of transportation, I have SERIOUS doubts for many reasons, just think of the noise of constant overhead traffic! An occasional noisy plane flying over is not usually an annoyance but try to imagine it going on constantly! One of the biggest idea killers here however is durability, cars are subjected to things all the time that would ground an aircraft, "parking lot damage" could suddenly cost MANY thousands of dollars and a minor "fender bender" in a car could be catastrophic in one of these things. Now the usual, and mentioned above, scenario of being able to fly to remote areas and then drive to your final destination might seem appealing but like most fantasy situations it can have serious drawbacks, how many of these remote locations are connected to the finial destination by paved roads? How would a flying car (maybe flying "contraption"would be a better description?) deal with dirt/gravel roads especially in wet weather? Instead of dreaming about being able to drive an airplane home after landing at the local airport just think about trying to drive an airplane in an automobile environment without subjecting it to serious damage from conditions that we normally just shrug off when driving a a car! The con,,,,,,,,,,err designers of these things like to show the perspective customer how he can just drive into the local service station and fill up with car gas but how about driving up to your local autobody/collision repair center to repair minor parking lot damage? Not a chance! What would be an annoying "dent" in your car has suddenly grounded your car/plane and it is very likely to cost in excess of the price of a new "normal" car just to repair/recertify the flying car's dent! What would it cost to insure a vehicle such as this with staggering costs in dollars possible at the slightest bump? Even that dirt/gravel road scenario is not the only road hazard, ever look underneath your car/truck that has been driven only on paved roads? The potential for extremely expensive and airworthy ending damage while on the road would seem to take most of the fun out of driving the thing and would make insurance agents run the other way! It goes on and on and while a slick ad campaign might get a few wealthy individuals to part with the money I think as the reality of the situation sets in the hassles will far outweigh the novelty and these things will just become another past curiosity.
                    Last edited by radkins; 05-11-2015, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Toke-up enough and who needs a flying car!

Comment

Old news as they had a flying car in the 1940s,
                        "Taylor thought the concept of leaving half the vehicle behind was flawed, so he penned a design that featured a folding, towable wing and tail assembly. Designed to be converted from automobile to airplane by a single person in under five minutes, the Taylor Aerocar saw its first official test flight in December of 1949. - See more at: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/c....q1MB29EC.dpuf
                        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                        country, in easy stages."
                        ~ James Madison

Comment

The primary problem with the Flying car is not technology, it is the people. The only possible way it could work is via full time and total remote control. Independent control isn't a safe possibility for any similar form of transportation except in the way it is currently done, with very large margins around all artificial flying objects.

People in general are not equipped with good 3D spatial visualization capability, unlike birds. We are 2D land dwellers. One good example was a study done on people leaving a mall. They were asked what the sky looked like just before they were in a position to glance up when asked. Less then 10% could answer with any degree of certainty. People don't look up much at all and only slightly more often look down, most likely to avoid falling into an early grave. For myself, the sky is something I always glance at frequently but I am also a pilot and am always interested in the moment to moment changes in weather. That is not usual in the average population.

That population is unable to take any degree of control of any sort of 3D space transportation. It is not going to change in the foreseeable future. The Flying Car is the dream of the few of us that do have good 3D visualization ability and that is most likely highly concentrated in this HSM crowd.
                          Last edited by Evan; 05-11-2015, 01:22 PM.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Hmmmm.
                            If there are flying cars then people from Boston will be using them.
                            Boston, the land where "Traffic Signals Are Just A Suggestion"
                            (http://www.boston-discovery-guide.co...ving-tips.html)

Think about it and be afraid. Be very afraid!

Comment

Good point Evan at the lumberyard we taped a $20 bill to the ceiling above the counter with a small free sign, no one looked up & saw it. I was amazed.
                              "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                              world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                              country, in easy stages."
                              ~ James Madison

Comment

Working...
                              X