Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought meself a new lathe

Went out and bought meself a new lathe. A Colchester Bantam 1600 MKII

Well new to me and was new in 1980 but has been in storage ever since, a bit tatty and needs a real good clean up as it's had stuff piled on top of it for the last 35 years.

At the moment it's hard to see full condition but to having to literally climb over mountains of gear to get to it.

Looks like this one off Tony's page but has the stand with the central drawer in it.

Got gears, chucks and faceplate but couldn't see any steadies.

Need to pop back in two weeks to collect it as they need to get a large 10 tonne or so fork truck in to move some power presses that are in the way.

Bought it for me new girlfriend as it's an imperial machine and she spent all of her working life in the States and don't do metric and my lathes confuse the hell out of her.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
    Went out and bought meself a new lathe. A Colchester Bantam 1600 MKII

Well new to me and was new in 1980 but has been in storage ever since, a bit tatty and needs a real good clean up as it's had stuff piled on top of it for the last 35 years.

At the moment it's hard to see full condition but to having to literally climb over mountains of gear to get to it.

Looks like this one off Tony's page but has the stand with the central drawer in it.

Got gears, chucks and faceplate but couldn't see any steadies.

Need to pop back in two weeks to collect it as they need to get a large 10 tonne or so fork truck in to move some power presses that are in the way.

Bought it for me new girlfriend as it's an imperial machine and she spent all of her working life in the States and don't do metric and my lathes confuse the hell out of her.
    Clumsy Blond is she?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

She was blonde but I wouldn't say clumsy, she's a gen-u-ine rocket scientist and coded welder as well.
      If she wants thou's, she's got thou's.

No contest.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Great news John.

Comment

Sounds like you have yourself a real keeper there, John! (and the lathe is pretty good too!)

Did your lady friend work in Huntsville, by any chance? I have family there, they don't call it "Rocket City" for nothing.
          Max
          http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

Good for you, did the owner take those 100 year old notes that have been hiding in that wallet all these decades?

Comment

Originally posted by mars-red View Post
              Sounds like you have yourself a real keeper there, John! (and the lathe is pretty good too!)

Did your lady friend work in Huntsville, by any chance? I have family there, they don't call it "Rocket City" for nothing.
              No Davis AFB then for Bert Rutan.

Comment

Congrats on the new lady friend, John.

Does she like Bridgeports???

Comment

Gonna paint it bright neon pink for her too Sir John? Or would that be for yourself so you have a lathe thats easy to see when you get old?
                  "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Sounds like a good trade to me! A lathe for a girlfriend! It sounds like life is pretty good now. I am happy for you and wish you both All the Best.
                    Kansas City area

Comment

Are you going to get his and hers insert tool holders?
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                        Bought it for me new girlfriend...
                        She caught you hook, line, and sinker, didn't she? Clumsy bastard.
                        Definition: Racecar - a device that turns money into noise.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                          Are you going to get his and hers insert tool holders?
                          Just guessing - I suspect they already have that.
                          Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                            Just guessing - I suspect they already have that.
                            Get your mind out of the gutter
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Wasn't Clolchester bought out by Bridgeport?
                              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X