Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It maybe re vibrating, I know, let me finish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It maybe re vibrating, I know, let me finish.

What do any of you think about using a washing machine drum with the centre thing locked in place with an off centre motor attached directly to the drum and then using new cat litter as the vibratory medium?

The cat litter will just pulverize to sand in no time. There are other things you could use like walnut shells, but then again it is also going to depend on what you want to do.

Vibratory units like you are imagining are shaped to circulate the media and the parts, I dont think the shape of a washer is going to work well.

Comment

You might make a barrel finisher out of one though, I've seen an old washing machine drum on one of those, easier to use lidded chutney barrels on rollers, they are about 2' tall screw top blue polythene, the rollers were long tubes running on bearings.
      Mark

Comment

I think they're talking about top load washing machines not front loaders, Mark.

The other Mark
        Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

Theres all sorts of variance in design of washing machines aye, in my shed is a extremely robust horizontal drum but toploading machine (you load through a spring out trapdoor in the drum itself) , in the house a front loader and there are the old vertical spindle toploaders.
          Ive been wondering about repurposing the horizontal drum topload machine...

Comment

I think it will spin too fast for this use, can you consider a pulley reduction type drive for it, to slow it down?
            However, I don't agree with other poster who states it won't circulate, that is what washing machines do.
            Use it in it's existing configuration, but, slow it down. Don't think you even have to add the eccentric either, it should set up a natural circulation. If that doesn't work, try changing the angle of the drum(the concrete mixer seems to work well at about 45o.)
            You could also consider using the concrete mixer that Harbor Freight sells, I have one and it works well for concrete, but, in one of the reviews on the mixer, a person stated that his company had bought one, filled it with media and used it to deburr parts, it works fine and has been working daily for several years.
            As an avid repurposer, I commend you on your thinking.
            olcop

Comment

Like olcop mentioned about the re-purposed concrete mixer, yeah I don't see why it would not work if used this way, think of rock polishers and tumblers.
              Also like macona mentioned use proper media. I think the cat litter being clay based will just turn into fine dust and will be very ineffective.
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Dunno about the Harbor Freight one but years ago I bought a cheapie mixer from Home Despot that has been working well for several years.

Gonna have to replace it finally tho because it's worn thru the plastic barrel.
                Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

As everybody says, cat litter is not what you want to use. Your choice of media would depend on the composition of the material you are tumbling/ vibrating, and the finish desired.
                  “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                    Like olcop mentioned about the re-purposed concrete mixer, yeah I don't see why it would not work if used this way, think of rock polishers and tumblers.
                    Also like macona mentioned use proper media. I think the cat litter being clay based will just turn into fine dust and will be very ineffective.
                    Think you'd want to remove the vanes inside the drum for polishing/deburring, Otherwise, wouldn't it ding up the parts?

Comment

I think that if you use media in a drum of a front or top load washing machine you will get media built up between the rotating drum and the outer drain drum.

I have seen reference to vibrating tumblers that use a car tire and a motor with an offset weight. Maybe you can re-purpose the motor from the washing machine and build one using a tire.

Brian
                      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by wtrueman View Post
                        What do any of you think about using a washing machine drum with the centre thing locked in place with an off centre motor attached directly to the drum and then using new cat litter as the vibratory medium?
                        How large a vibratory deburr/polishing/finishing machine you build would depend on the size and number of parts. For starters, I think you'd have to ditch the inner tub of the top load machine.

Comment

Hi all: thanks for the quick replies. I now have some ideas re this kind of polishing. Also, I was thinking about the sand based litter not the clay but who knows what you can do with different materials, Wayne.

Comment

Working...
                          X