Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atlas/Craftsman 12" Commercial Lathe #101 28990 Anyone have one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlas/Craftsman 12" Commercial Lathe #101 28990 Anyone have one?

Found one in like new condition fully tooled on a factory stand like a Logan with an underdrive & doing research found it was much better made than I ever knew, dual belt drive, 1/2" thick ways, 3/4" leadscrew, lever instead of tiny knob to engage crossfeed, back gear engaged by a knob on the front of the head instead of having to reach around, etc. Looks hardly used & I think only the 3 jaw chuch was ever used. It has the "Commercial" badge so it's from the '70s. Just wondering your thoughts if you have or have used one. It's the 2nd one down with a 54" bed & the commercial badge http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page3.html
    I never knew Atlas made anything so nice. Thanks!
    Last edited by flylo; 06-03-2015, 08:36 PM.
    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
    country, in easy stages."
    ~ James Madison

run don't walk over there and get it. I ran a few of them years ago. very nice lathes. you will be a long time out growing that one.

Comment

It's bought, just have to pick it up. That makes a 1934 (1st year 10") A "Pick-O-Matic" made about a year in'45, a fresh rebuid TH54 with coolant, probably the one to go, & my trusty 618. All well tooled. Maybe keep the 6" & 12". I'm sure a collector is looking for a Pick-O-Matic.
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

They are a much stouter lathe than the earlier 10" and craftsmen 12" lathes. The only downside to them is that they still utilize the Zamac half nuts for both threading and plain turning.
        Jim H.

Comment

Flylo

I have one bought in 1974

parts are still available
          at My Machine Shop dot Com
          Happy customer
          George from Conyers Ga.
          Remember
          The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
          X