No announcement yet.

to climb or not to climb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could have had some fun with this post, but it is just my home machine shop and my wood shop.

Paul G.
    Paul G.

Comment

Paul
      Go for it.
      We loves fun.
      mite

Comment

Whatsa difference between a 'planer mill' and a shaper? I've seen a planer mill before, but never in use. Does it use some form of rotary cutting action, or is it also a straight line motion like a shaper?
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Basicly a shaper will use a single point cutting tool and the tool will move over the piece removing a chip on each stroke, the table, to which the workpiece is clamped or held in a vise, will index right or left, up or down "X" amount of thousandths between strokes.

A planer is much like a shaper only larger and the tool will be stationary except to index right, left, up or down while the table to which the workpiece is clamped will stroke repeatedly to and fro beneath the tool.

A planer mill is much like a planer except rotary milling tools are used instead of single point tooling.

Paul G.
          Paul G.

Comment

Thanks Paul. Actually I guess what I'd seen before was a planer, rather than a planer mill.
            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
            X