Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lynnl
    replied
    Thanks Paul. Actually I guess what I'd seen before was a planer, rather than a planer mill.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Gauthier
    replied
    Basicly a shaper will use a single point cutting tool and the tool will move over the piece removing a chip on each stroke, the table, to which the workpiece is clamped or held in a vise, will index right or left, up or down "X" amount of thousandths between strokes.

A planer is much like a shaper only larger and the tool will be stationary except to index right, left, up or down while the table to which the workpiece is clamped will stroke repeatedly to and fro beneath the tool.

A planer mill is much like a planer except rotary milling tools are used instead of single point tooling.

Paul G.

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Whatsa difference between a 'planer mill' and a shaper? I've seen a planer mill before, but never in use. Does it use some form of rotary cutting action, or is it also a straight line motion like a shaper?

Leave a comment:

• metal mite
    replied
    Paul
    Go for it.
    We loves fun.
    mite

Leave a comment:

• Paul Gauthier
    replied
    I could have had some fun with this post, but it is just my home machine shop and my wood shop.

Paul G.

Leave a comment:

• halfnut
    replied
    Sounds like if you want it to look real good you are going to have to run 2 passes. Non uniformity of cut is putting the pattern to it.

At least knock most of the corners off with the first cut.

Leave a comment:

• 1erful
    replied
    PAUL: I just have to know...What (or who) is in the barn? ;-) WALT

Leave a comment:

• Paul Gauthier
    replied
    Ya the good old days. I'm glad I don't run that beast anymore. Still with the same company, just do a different job. Run two G & L 48 inch 4 axis cnc vtl's now. Cleaner and easier. But that is just the stuff that pays the bills, the real fun is out in the barn.

Paul G.

Leave a comment:

• metal mite
    replied
    Paul,
    We had an 84, a 72, and a 66" Ingersol planer type mills. The 72" had a 24 foot table I think.

Usually used 8-10" shear clear cutters but 1/4" doc on a 10" carbide cutter and you're running in the red.

They were hosses. We machined coke oven doors and door jambs as well as frames and bases for cardboard box machines.

The 84" had four 35 hp heads. We made a ton of steel chips a shift on that one, using two heads.

That's when machinists had to work for a living. Got home looking like a coal miner from c.i. dust, way lube oil, and sweat.

Work your --- off for four hours setting up, and make chips for eight on some jobs.

Had three 18 ton cranes overhead busy all day loading machines.

Good old days? Old days anyway.
    That was Koppers Company Machine Shop # 1.

Also had two 84" planers (Grey), four Devlieg Jig Mills, Two sellers and a fine King Boring Mill (84"), 84" Blanchard, and a load of other stuff.

That's gone now. Too many labor problems I guess.

They treat telephone poles and p. t. wood for decks now.

mite

Leave a comment:

• C. Tate
    replied
    The step you are getting is from the angle that is built into the cutting edge of your insert. You will not be able to eliminate the step without a finish pass with a regular end mill. You can try a "square shoulder" mill that will not have the angle built into the insert, they are made so that they do not leave the steps you are talking about. Try decreasing the depth of cut on your current tool and the step will deminish some. I would decrease the chip load it sounds very high for your machine and the tool. Try 2200 rpm and 26 ipm that will give a chip load of .004 per flute at heavy radial DOC.

[This message has been edited by C. Tate (edited 04-25-2002).]

Leave a comment:

• Paul Gauthier
    replied
    Used to run an Ingersol bed miller, 8 inch dia. cutter, two inches d.o.c. 5 IPM. for a distance of between 4 to 12 feet. The spindle drive motor was 100 h.p. Machine table was 24 feet long and 6 feet wide. On it were two gargantuan magnetic/hydraulic clamps each wieghing approx. 20 tons, into which we could put a hunk of die steel (4150) up to 6 feet wide 2 feet thick and 20 feet long. If you do the math with die steel wieghing 501 lbs. per cubic foot that come to 60 Tons. That machine was the small one.

Paul G.

Leave a comment:

• metal mite
    replied
    Rob,
    You're gonna have to reduce your depth of cut.
    Those salesman will promise you the world to make a sale.
    Used to run an Ingersol slab mill with three 35 horsepower heads, and that mill couldn't take a 1/4 " finish cut.
    Had to drop down to 1/32 or so for a blended precision like finish.
    You're makin too much heat and either the part, or the cutter, or both are warping, or flexing making steps.
    Coolant will help some.
    mite

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Ah so! Shucks, now it's obvious.
    thnx Mike

Leave a comment:

• Mike L
    replied
    DOC = Depth of Cut

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    May I ask a question? In above discussions what is DOC referring to?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X