X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flylo
    • Apr 2011

Great set of Books!

Picked up the 12" Atlas Commercial lathe today after a 2+ hr drive each way & it's like brand new, no wear anywhere. Runs very quiet & very smooth. I was expecting great shape but was happily suprised.
    Anyway it was from an estate so I picked up the rest of the machining things including, tolling, vises, dial ind & base, a nice pr of small blocks, bunch of smalls, a tractor seat stool & a great ser of 12 books from 1915, The Machinery's Mechanical Library by The Industrial Press 1st edition. These books are awesome, high quality & get right to the point, very in depth, relevent even today. I like books but was blown away they are from 1915 as the content so useful today. They were owned new by George W. BeaversonR.F.D. #5 York,PA & I bet quite a treasured investment back then. Thank you George! I'll watch over them a while. Did these become Machinery'sHandbooks?

Old stiffie the 1st one reminds me of you "Turning & Boring" Thanks George & the other caretakers for not "Binning" these fine old treasures.
    Last edited by flylo; 06-06-2015, 11:23 PM.
  • sasquatch
    • May 2006

Amen Eric, and great finds!!

Comment

• flylo
      • Apr 2011

Ray, great to hear from you! I haven't seen you post & was getting worried. Everything is good I hope! I'm helping a great young man get a shop for business set up. He does things that I can't in turn for things at my cost. he went with & after we got back loaded up an an 18" Tanawitz bswivel bed metal bandsaw that now cost $8700+. It's a win-win for us both. He gets good stuff for helping & I get room & can still keep going, a lot slower but still going non the less. I really like him & know he's going to be a great sucess. It's fun to be a small part of his sucess. You don't see young guys like him anymore.

Comment

• sasquatch
        • May 2006

Also great news ,,very pleased to hear you now have a helper and great friend. Sounds Great, good for you!!

Comment

• Stu Miller
          • Dec 2004

Flylo, are these books small pamphlets, or larger books. I have the Machinery's Encyclopedia in 7 volumes from 1917 (about 14 inches of shelf space) and am trying to figure out how your books and mine are related.

Comment

• flylo
            • Apr 2011

Stu, these are full size over 1" thick 250+ pages each marked The Machinery's Mechanical Library by The Industrial Press 1st edition. Very complete. to the point & suprising to me useful to todays manual machine user. I'm reading #1 now which has speed/feet charts, lathe tool grinding, etc. I can get a list of them tomorrow as the rest are in the shop. Let me know. Thanks!

Comment

• Alan Douglas
              • Dec 2011

I would post a photo of the set if this forum allowed attachments, but it seems not to.

Comment

• flylo
                • Apr 2011

I will when I get photobucket fiqured out again.

Comment

• Stu Miller
                  • Dec 2004

flylo,

Your description reminded me of a volume I have on automatic screw machines. When I dug it out of a closet, I found that it is a volume of The Machinery's Mechanical Library. I had totally forgotten about it. Now I am gonna have to start looking for the rest of the set.

Comment

• flylo
                    • Apr 2011

Yep that's one. I found a set of the 1st 10 on UK Ebay, you know those guys are a couple volumes short of a full set. Heck with the books you guys should see the 12" Atlas absolutly no wear any where then I tipped it over on it's back with the forklift. Never in my life have I ever done that but the pan caught it & only broke 2 hinges, $14 & $20. She runs so quiet & smooth for a about 40 year old. My version of the late '50s vette on blocks all these years. Much improved over any other Atlas I've had. I think the original grease is in the gears. My new heart throb.

Comment

• flylo
                      • Apr 2011

eBay item number:171540692717
                      Here's one book just like the set. I tink these may have been the forerunner of Machinery's Handbooks as they're 1915 & I can read these with lust reading glasses & they're bound better but still have the all business to the point complete info. I wonder what they cost George in 1915?

Comment

• Alan Douglas
                        • Dec 2011

I haven't read through mine in several years. A good project for next winter when there's two feet of snow on the ground.

Comment

• itsme_bernie
                          • Feb 2013

Fantastic! I appreciate looks like that just like you! Good for you!

Bernie

Comment

Working...
                          X