Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Need paint gun recommendations.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 09-02-2004).]

I know the opinions can be across the board, but I've always found the Husky brand air tools at HomeDepot good quality for the cost.

haven't been in there in a while, but i'd wager you could get a standard paint gun and a detailing gun (the small Husky detailer is actually quite good!) for less than $100.

at this consumer level, in contrast, i haven't found the Craftsman equivalent much good. i mean, they work fine, but the surface finish on the parts isn't as nice (nickel coating?) and consequently more difficult to clean (and keep clean).

i'm in Europe now and have been using the LTF series paint guns, they're a little more expensive (1qt gun w/ 1.6mm nozzle ~$250) ... but the range of control it offers in uncomparable to mid-level consumer guns.

you know they make digital paint guns now? with pressure and flow readings right there on the handle? just crazy.

personally i prefer suction feed guns (not gravity from the top).. and try to get a metal can for the gun, not the plastic ones that are so common these days.

finally, if you'll be spraying alot of different type paints (primers, finish coats, textured paint, etc) try to find a supplier who carries all the different sized nozzles for the gun you like. (general purpose? i like the 1/16" nozzles).

recommendation for lawn furniture and the occasional beetle: husky.

-tony

Comment

I have over a half-dozen spray guns, and most of them excel for one purpose or another. For general-purpose use, try a H.F. gravity feed gun. I think they go on sale for $38 or $48, and even come with a regulator.

I am assuming you have a decent compressor, because painting can be demanding with air. Your applications don't sound too bad though (10 to 15 SCFM should work). A water separator is always a must, and for painting the car, add a desiccant drier at the spray gun. Keep the gun CLEAN, and it will work well for a long time.

A touch-up gun will probably work fine on the lawn furniture, and they are easy to use. The pattern is roughly similar to a can of spray paint. But I don’t think you are going to want to use one for painting a car, even one panel at a time. The pattern and volume is just too small.

Comment

I'm look at H.F. sale flyer now, that shows a gravity feed, HVLP gun, with built-in regulator. Can those be used with a regular air compressor, of say 9-11 SCFM?

Comment

I got a fairly cheap one from Homier, and was really impressed with the job it did. HVLP, and used the compressor, just set the
          pressure regulator low. Actually got a big one and a touch up. Both worked well, gravity feed, and I think the total was under $40.00

Comment

Harbor freight has a campbell hausfield that is a clone of the binks and the devibiliss spray rig.. It works as well as the 180$ devibiliss finish line 2 rig..

Pretty nifty, I'd not sell mine, it was a $50 tool.

David

Comment

I switched over to a gravity HVLP,import,Taiwan and I will never go back,it cost me $28.00 through work and cam with a 1.4mm tip,its a little slow shooting primer,but can't be beat for one good reason on paint,it hardly uses any!

We got a new model in the other day,it has both a 1.4 and a 2 mm nozzle,the 2mm should improve the speed on primer.

I use a 25' slinky hose with a regulator and throw away water trap filter,never have any problems.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I'm partial to Sharpe guns - made in the USA and good value and high performance.
                Have four of them with the Platinum 2015 probably being your best choice,. This is an LVLP gun which works on only 7.5cfm of air. Check out those cheap Chinky guns as most require a large 2 stage compressor to power with proper atomization.
                Check out www.paintucation.com for paint related advice.
                Ken

Oh, Lynl, I bet that HF gun will need about 13cfm to function correctly, don't know for sure but I *bet*.

[This message has been edited by kenc (edited 05-25-2004).]

Comment

Comment

Dan,
                    The FL_II is a decent low priced gun *but* requires about 11.5cfm of air. Do you have the compressor for it?
                    Ken

Comment

I have painted about ten cars / 6 harleys and one bridgeport with mine. I love it, I got both sets of tips including one large one for Super flake.

Probably painted ten machines and fifteen cars- trailers with cheap rig I have.. it works good too, never let me down.. Hmm.. I got screwed on the FL2? but I think the tips were 35? don't bemember..

with the large tip it really eats the air.

(bandaged finger typing here..)

David

Comment

Comment

Dan,
                          I believe the FL-II you looked at is the suction gun. For some reason - I guess because most people do - I assumed you wanted a gravity feed gun. If suction is OK for you (no reason that it shouldn't be) then go for it. The Platinum is a far superior gun though.It's Pro level vs home hobbiest really.
                          Ken

Comment

One other comment, even with the suction gun your compressor will be working flat out all the time. Consequently it will generate lots of moisture which'll be bad for your paint job.
                            Really your compressor is too low capacity even for the suction FL_II IMO.
                            Ken

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X