Vintage Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Machines

I have come across some vintage machines and before I scrap them for metal I wanted to find out if there was any value/interest in them for refurbishing and re-using. Some of the machines are:

Sicotte J3H7 Vertical Borer
    Ex-Cell-O Corp. Buss Planer – 30X8 Model 44
    Kansas Instruments Automotive Rebuilding Equipment, Parts Blaster, Model 124
    R.G. Haskins Procunier Machine
    True-Trace Hydraulic Tracing Attachment for a Vertical Milling Machine
    SIP MP-1H, Jig Boring Machine
    LODGE & SHIPLEY MODEL #2013 POWERTURN, ENGINE LATHE
    Monarch Lathe 13EE
    Scledum RT 17y Storm Vulcan Surface Grinder
    Burke Model No. 4 or B, Horizontal Milling Machine

This is not all of them; I have others that I cannot even find out what they are...

I have pictures of all of the above machines, but not sure if I can post them in this forum.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on what to do with them. Thanks.

TallahasseMetals

Best ask this over at PM on the Antique machinery sub-forum. You'll need to register first: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...inery-history/

For posting images in any forum they must be hosted somewhere on the Internet, Photobucket, etc.

Comment

Dunno aboout the rest, but the Lodge & Shipley and Monarch lathes are pretty sought after, very much so for the Monarch 10EE's Big Brother!
      Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Holbrook Model C Number 13 lathe, Testa 2U universal mill, bikes and tools

Comment

Originally posted by TallahasseeMetals View Post
        I have come across some vintage machines and before I scrap them for metal I wanted to find out if there was any value/interest in them for refurbishing and re-using.
        Please don't get too many dollar signs in your eyes when I say this, but you either REALLY dont know what you have or this is a joke. To answer your question directly, yes, so long as theyre not clapped out, thoroughly abused, and/or missing a ton of parts there should be a multiple of scrap value in those machines.
        "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by TallahasseeMetals View Post
          I have come across some vintage machines and before I scrap them for metal I wanted to find out if there was any value/interest in them for refurbishing and re-using. Some of the machines are:

Sicotte J3H7 Vertical Borer
          Ex-Cell-O Corp. Buss Planer – 30X8 Model 44
          Kansas Instruments Automotive Rebuilding Equipment, Parts Blaster, Model 124
          R.G. Haskins Procunier Machine
          True-Trace Hydraulic Tracing Attachment for a Vertical Milling Machine
          SIP MP-1H, Jig Boring Machine
          LODGE & SHIPLEY MODEL #2013 POWERTURN, ENGINE LATHE
          Monarch Lathe 13EE
          Scledum RT 17y Storm Vulcan Surface Grinder
          Burke Model No. 4 or B, Horizontal Milling Machine

This is not all of them; I have others that I cannot even find out what they are...

I have pictures of all of the above machines, but not sure if I can post them in this forum.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on what to do with them. Thanks.

TallahasseMetals
          The SIP, I suspect would find a ready buyer, along with the L&S and the Monarch. The Burke likewise. Didn't know that S-V made surface grinders, but the machine type is saleable. The planer is big, but there is a market. The rest I don't know, some may not be particularly popular.

This assumes that the machines are in good condition, and are not so far off the beaten track that they become a problem to move.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

And for God's sakes, if you want to sell them, DO NOT SPRAY PAINT THEM. It will not add any value: only subtract from it. Add oil or grease to preserve them, but NO PAINT unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. Anyone here would far rather remove a ton of grease than have to remove a bad paint job.

Read this:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...nt-job-305258/

This guy will be lucky to get $1.80 for it with that paint job. He reduced it to scrap value by painting.
            Paul A.

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Appears to be US Navy battleship grey. "If it moves, salute it. If not, paint it."

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png

Paul: www.peschoen.com
              P S Technology, Inc. www.pstech-inc.com
              and Muttley www.muttleydog.com

Comment

A 13EE??? Really??? Wow. That's worth some money to us Monarch guys.

Comment

You may be able to learn a bit about these machines by doing some research on the Vintage Machines website:

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/home.aspx

Comment

Please post pictures of all the machines, we could help you identify the unknown machines. I might be interested in the SIP, 13EE, and the L&S Powerturn depending on the price.

Comment

Good Grief what a mess, with the grey painted lovely old lady.
                      Sad to see how someone's love for the dollar , creating within their own minds eye and added with massive over enthusiasm, has resulted in,a few hours of madness.It is the old adage we have all had to overcome.Instead of stopping and asking advice(if this was practical or available during the paint job) he or she has kept going by the thought
                      I can't go back now.
                      Question is could the potential buyer go back to where it all sadly started.
                      With LOVE, MONEY, PATIENCE ,AND KNOW HOW, AND MODERN PAINT REMOVING METHODS.
                      I SAY HOPEFULLY YES. Alistair
                      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                      X