No announcement yet.

CX601 Milling Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honestly, I do not see anyone "looking down their nose" or otherwise insulting anyone or anything.

It's a logical question, although it might be put a little less bluntly or forcefully..... If a machine appears unsuited to what it gets used for, that question does come up

As it happens, I don't think the machine is actually unsuited. It does seem to have some design issues, but what does not?

The "fix" seems to be likely to take care of the problem, nobody else with that machine is reporting stripped gears, even though they had the same issue of dropping out of mesh, which they fixed. Also, the use of the annular cutters is pretty likely to take care of it also.

But, the idea of either upgrading the machine or the gear, is perfectly normal, and the question is valid.

I took it as a questioning NOT of the idea of repairing it, but a question as to whether it was better to do that repair over and over, vs getting a machine (or perhaps a gear) that will not be stripped. The old thing about "repeating the same behavior and expecting different results" might apply, and is worth examining (that saying is actually BS anyhow, as any card player knows).
    4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

• I cannot spare a penny, I have to make each one of them buy me a dollars worth of fun.!
      My main point is that there is lots of good machinery in the secondhand market which is of FAR better quality than much of that currently available new , built in foreign lands.I guess I got lucky with my Busy Bee mill, it is a very simple belt drive machine, a copy of a Clausing 8590.
      .If you can be bothered to get educated about machinery before you buy. , and resist the lure of the thrill of buying new.you can find good reliable items in the secondhand market ready for many more years of hobby use, at reasonable prices.
      I am not rich, but just damn well make sure I get value for my money.
      I too am a pensioner, primarily only on OAS and CPP , do not own a house any more, drive a 15 yr old truck.
      Buying new machinery would be possible from my savings, but buying secondhand and restoring as necessary has become an interesting part of my hobby, though I did not originally intend that, preferring to build my steam engines,.
      My lathe, a Southbend 9 .inch cost me $ 400, My big mill, A secondhand Busy Bee BO48 cost me $ 3500 with readouts and VFD 16 yrs ago when I was in business, My Drill press was admittedly an extravagance, an EMCO Mill /drill With readouts. and power feeds bought just after I sold my house( About $3000. My power hacksaw, bought last year cost $ 85 and two weeks of repairs,my Atlas shaper was a gift from a fellow TSME member
      None of those bought as " Runners" have required radical repairs except that I had to replace the VFD on the Busy Bee Mill after 10 yrs commercial work.,Otherwise I can remember only tightening a few loose bolts and set screws.
      The Horizontal/ vertical mill which I wrote about recently cost me $ 125, after cleaning adding a motor and new shafts and bushes in the countershafts,making new handles to fit the 1/2 inch squares on the feedscrews, making an arbor to fit I have put it into use
      I have since added a power feed, $ 15 for a 12 volt motor a few gears from my junk box and use my battery charger to power it.
      It appears strong and reasonably accurate.
      My advice and comments are a result of over 60 years in the hobby. I owe a great debt to those folk who have advised and helped me in the past. I have no way to pay them all back, My aim is to ' pay it on forward " and help others get enjoyment and satisfactory results from their hobby activities, This thread makes me think of the need to butcher a phrase from Clint Eastwood to " A man has got to know the limitations of his equipment"
      Regards David Powell

Comment

• I have never easily taken crap from anyone. That includes hobby machinists, professional engineers, or God. I'm not about to start taking crap now. I machine things because I like to, and use the machines I can afford. I post on this forum because some people find my posts interesting, even informative. My father said it best "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything". My father has been dead for 30 years, but I still consider those to be words of wisdom. If you want to sling mud on me, come to Barrie and do it in person. It's very easy to be cynical from the anonymity of the internet.---Brian
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• The beast is back together again. The head for this machine weighs somewhere north of 200 pounds, but with enough levers and jacks and short ends of 2 x 4's it is bolted back in place with the new gear on it. I won't say "all is well" yet, because I still have to connect up the wiring on it, but I'll save that for tomorrow. I had to go over to my metal supplier and pick up a piece of 3" x 3/4" aluminum flat-bar to make the lever/lock out of. I really don't want to replace that gear again, so I'm hoping that the lever/lock will keep it from chewing up that gear again.
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Jerry--Get a life!! I'm not doing the same thing over again and expecting different results. I'm putting the lever/lock on the machine---that is something new.---and I am expecting better results. I'm going to bed now. I'm too ugly to fight with people on the internet.
            Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
              I'm going to bed now. I'm too ugly to fight with people on the internet.
              Yet you want people to show up at your door and fight you in person?

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
              If you want to sling mud on me, come to Barrie and do it in person. It's very easy to be cynical from the anonymity of the internet.---Brian
              The 200 pound milling machine is about more than you can handle, what are you going to do when a 200 pound man takes you up on your offer?

Comment

• I hardly feel anonymous in the model engineering and live steam community.
                I am a member of Toronto Society of Model Engineers, and well known to groups such as Toronto Live steamers, Richmond Hill Live SIteamers,Golden Horseshoe Live steamers and Frontenac Society of Model Engineers,
                I have never used a pseudonym to make a comment on the internet.
                Mr Rupnow, We met once, at Cookstown steam show some years ago, I was then President of TSME and specifically invited you to visit one of our meetings, without any obligation to join. You replied that you were not interested. I can only guess that you prefer to be a voice on the internet rather than a member of a group which meets( when the law allows) face to face.
                Regards David Powell.

Comment

• It makes me sad when two long time, valuable and respected members of a group of persons with shared interests have hard feelings towards each other, especially when it is apparently as a result of a misunderstanding about the intent with which a remark was made - i.e., offering a possibly helpful alternative vs a nasty criticism.

I don't think David was intending insult, and if his remark had been made in person with facial expressions and tone of voice that might have been clearer. Perhaps I'm wrong, I generally assume the best rather than the worst.

I find most of the threads here interesting, and most of those also informative, be they "hey I finally got this working" or "here's my neat new model" or whatever, and have appreciated the contributions of both of you.
                  "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Jerry--Get a life!! I'm not doing the same thing over again and expecting different results. I'm putting the lever/lock on the machine---that is something new.---and I am expecting better results. I'm going to bed now. I'm too ugly to fight with people on the internet.
                    I totally understand. I don't think you are.

You are doing two things that seem very reasonable to me, using a different drill type that won't stress the mill as much, and also holding the gear in mesh, which you think will cure most of the issue (and I tend to agree, seeing the remnants of the old one). I expect that will take care of the issue you had. And you still have the option of moving to a metal gear if really needed.

But I can understand why someone might ask why you want to replace (again) the gear with the same type that failed, since you expect to do the same sort of drilling. It's a reasonable question. And it's reasonable to ask if a different machine might not be a better choice than doing what some might consider bodging-up an inadequate machine.

I happen not to agree with that description, no more than you do, but I don't think there was any evil intent in the question. And I have none in writing what I have written.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

• Wow, this went south pretty fast!
                      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                      Oregon, USA

Comment

• Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
                        Wow, this went south pretty fast!
                        Are you sayin "south" means BAD? better watch out around here!😉

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

• Oxford---come on up to Barrie and we will waltz!!
                          Brian Rupnow
                          Design engineer
                          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Okay--Didn't go to bed after all. I had to wire everything up and see if it worked. It works!! Hooray!! Didn't have any left over parts either. Tomorrow I will work on the lever/lock. This is the first time in about 6 months that I've had a "low gear" on my mill. I had a good look at the metal gears which the nylon gears mesh with, and didn't see any apparent damage with either gear. My annular cutters and holders have been shipped and they are on the way to me now. No more 1" hole drilling for me. I will post a drawing and a picture of the lever/lock mechanism. I have heard from a few other Canadians who have this machine, and the nylon gears eating themselves seems to be a common problem with this model. I really do like this mill, and though I have threatened to buy a bigger mill, I don't have the space nor the voltage to run a bigger mill.---Nor the money.
                            Brian Rupnow
                            Design engineer
                            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• David--I thanked you for the invitation. I didn't come down to a meeting because I'm old and can't see worth a damn at night to drive. If I lived closer to Toronto I would have definitely came to one of your club meetings. I'm pretty well a one man band here in Barrie. I have only found one other person in town who is interested in the type of things I do, and he spends the winter in Florida. I'm sorry I snapped your head off today. I know that you mean well.---Brian
                              Brian Rupnow
                              Design engineer
                              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Okay--Didn't go to bed after all. I had to wire everything up and see if it worked. It works!! Hooray!! Didn't have any left over parts either. Tomorrow I will work on the lever/lock. This is the first time in about 6 months that I've had a "low gear" on my mill. I had a good look at the metal gears which the nylon gears mesh with, and didn't see any apparent damage with either gear. My annular cutters and holders have been shipped and they are on the way to me now. No more 1" hole drilling for me. I will post a drawing and a picture of the lever/lock mechanism. I have heard from a few other Canadians who have this machine, and the nylon gears eating themselves seems to be a common problem with this model. I really do like this mill, and though I have threatened to buy a bigger mill, I don't have the space nor the voltage to run a bigger mill.---Nor the money.
                                Do you know the DP or module of the gear? There may be an affordable catalog metal gear that could fit with minimal modifications.
                                21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                                1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Working...
                                X