CX601 Milling Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuttings View Post
    head of engineering would tell us to go ahead and make it fit/ work and we will do the drawings later. I guess that's what you call reverse engineering. It was very interesting work and kept your head busy.
    Best way, that way the drawing is always correct.

I'm doing one at the moment on the little Colchester Bantam whis is possibly ? the worse machine to put a DRO on but that's on another thread here so won't hijack Brian's post.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I'm learning as I move along here.--I have been thinking about drilling the holes in the back of my milling table to mount the X axis scale. I want the top of the glass scale to be about 0.68" below the top of my milling table. This would leave adequate space above it to mount the flange of the guard, plus the thickness of the guard, plus 3/16" clearance as the DRO guys recommend between the underside of the guard and the top of the scale..---However--The limiting factor here is where I drill the holes to mount the bracket for the "reading head". I just got my smallest electric drill up on the table and measured it, and the closest I can drill a hole to mount the reading head is 0.9" backing. This puts the top of the scale only .17" below the top of the table. This simply won't do!!! Tomorrow I will design a new bracket with offset ends which will let me mount the X axis scale where I want it.
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

A new X axis reading head bracket shaped as shown, will let me get the holes into the dark blue 0.9" off the dark green surface (which is as close as I can get to it with my electric drill without disassembling my milling machine) and still allow me to mount the glass scale almost 1/2" below the top of the milling machine bed For the guard, I think I will forget about a flange along the top and just use a piece of 3/16" thick aluminum angle, supported at the ends only. This lets me keep the top of the angle down 1/16" below the top of the table and leaves 1/4" clearance between the underside of the angle and the top of the glass scale.
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That will work fine. You may want to run a bead of caulk along the top of the angle where it meets the mill table to keep chips from working their way in. You definitely want the angle a little below the mill table. This install is pretty typical. There is nearly always some filing, grinding, hacking, and/or shimming going on with the brackets. Once you get there it's all worth it though.
          Kansas City area

Comment

Toolguy--great minds think alike. Although there will be no "flange" at the point where the toe of the angle butts up against the mill table, I will run a bead of caulking along the joint.---Brian
            Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I know nothing about this model.I am sure all will work out and I wish you many years of fun with your latest acquisition .
              It is always exciting buying new machines.Kindest regards .Alistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Thank you, Alistair, for your kind words and thoughts.---Brian
                Brian Rupnow
                Design engineer
                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I suppose that having the X axis dro at the rear is safer, but will it restrict the Y axis travel?

Comment

Yes, you lose about 1" to 1 1/2" of Y axis travel.
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                      Yes, you lose about 1" to 1 1/2" of Y axis travel.
                      Loosing that Y axis travel would be a major deal breaker. Many modify that type of benchtop mill for more Y travel. Y travel is limited enough on this type of mill. You will find the T slots mount the vise either too far forward or too much to the rear and the vise contacts the column further limiting Y travel. I would reconsider and mount it on the front perhaps with a piece of angle sandwiched which will protect the scale.

I have the bigger brother RF45 type mill and Y travel is often a problem.

Comment

Brian has done lots of projects on an even smaller mill with less Y travel. I bet he will be fine as is.
                        Kansas City area

Comment

I've been wishing for X and Y dro's for the drill-mill at the museum, but loosing even a little of the Y is a no no, and front mounting has to miss the stops.

Comment

I'm not going down a one way street here. I am not going to shorten any wires. If I find the rear mounted scale causes me too much grief, I will move it to the front.---This is a bit like trying to explain the concept of colors to a person who's been blind since birth.---I haven't ever had a DRO system before, and I haven't ever used one before, and I haven't ever mounted one before.---But I'm not painting myself into a corner.
                            Brian Rupnow
                            Design engineer
                            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

What ever you do, make sure the glass scales are larger than the axis travel, if they are shorter, you WILL crash them!

Comment

RB211--There is no danger of that on the Y axis. However on the x axis I will have to put in mechanical hard-stops on the bed travel. The closest glass scale that would fit on the machine without being longer than the bed is 600 mm. (23.62")----The bed travel is 23 1/2". This doesn't leave me with enough "margin" at both ends of X axis travel l, so I will put in a mechanical hardstop at each end limiting the X axis travel to 23".---Brian
                                Brian Rupnow
                                Design engineer
                                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X