CX601 Milling Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
    How do you oil the ways covered by the bellows?
    At the very top of the last image, there looks to be a "ball" oiler.

I was wondering how the X part of the saddle gets oiled.
    Was gonna mention something early to watch out for the oiler on the back of the table when mounting the scale (i ripped my table off, drilled the oil hole deeper and add a second cross hole higher because the scale covered the original), but did not notice any oilers on his table, period.

_
    ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
    http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Comment

IT'S ALIIIIIVVVE!!!! I just plugged in the wiring from the X axis scale and the 110 volt feed to the read-out box. Holy Cow---is it ever neat to turn the dials/handles on the table and see those numbers spiral up or down. Ron, you're absolutely right---it's way too high where it is currently mounted. Of course now I'm going to have to build yet another bracket to hang off the side of the column so I can see the DRO readout around the mill control box. I haven't permanently mounted the Y axis scale yet, I've been too busy working on the X axis guard.---I've got two emails from customers insisting that I work on their projects RIGHT NOW, so it will probably be Sunday before I get the X axis travel limiters built and installed and suss out a bracket to mount the DRO box in a better spot.---Brian
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The dovetail on the column is totally exposed above the "head" of the mill. I just give it a squirt of oil once in a while and it works it's way down around the dovetails to lubricate the portion covered by the bellows. I use a lot of WD40 when cutting aluminum (which is the majority of what I cut on lathe or mill) and lots of squirt on cutting oil when drilling. After a week of use, there is oil on every dovetail. I never bother with the ball oilers. I have more issues with too much oil on everything, not lack of oil.
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

After I put the glass scale DRO on my X3, I am always able to machine to .001 or better in mild steel, as long as I am using good cutters and proper technique. You'll love being able to switch between absolute and incremental modes. There is no going back, once you use a DRO

Comment

I worked on a design job today until 1:30, but got hung up on a question my customer who is currently away in Europe couldn't answer.----so---I made up my X axis table travel limiters. My glass scale is only good for 23 5/8" (600 mm) and my table travel is 23 1/2". If you overtravel the scale capabilities, then it breaks something inside the scale. I didn't want to take a chance on that happening, so I made up a travel limiter for each end of the x axis which bolt to tapped holes in the end of the table. The 1/2" diameter rod welded to the inside of the stop bracket stops against the end of the saddle as shown in the pictures. This reduces my overall table travel to 21 1/2", but I can't imagine ever needing that much travel, and I certainly didn't want to break the scale.---I'm almost there!!! I need to make up a bracket to correctly position the electronic readout box and I will be just about finished with the DRO installation. This type of mill comes with a sheet of flexible rubber that runs from the base of the column to a bracket on the saddle to prevent chips from clogging up the Acme screw which operates the Y axis.--I now have nowhere to attach this sheet at the saddle end, so I'm a bit perplexed as to what to do about that. I know you can buy collapsible covers for this screw, same as you can for a lathe lead screw, but they are horribly expensive and I don't want to get into installing anything more right now.

Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Couldn't you attach the rubber sheet to the scale guard?

Comment

Would that cause an issue when the table went back and forth? Originally the rubber attaches to the y axis saddle which remains fixed in position compared to the z axis column. I guessing from the pics there is no way of creating clearance along the bottom edge of the scale cover to allow the rubber to be fitted to the saddle again? Telescoping sheet metal covers similar to my Excello mill would be ideal but I don't think there's enough room there to implement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi Brian, just curious why you chose to put the X axis scale in the back of the table and does this reduce the Y axis travel? I ask because I will be doing a DRO on my machine too in the near future.
                  Bill

Comment

I keep on making the "last bracket" and then discovering I need one more---. This afternoon I welded up a "dogleg" bracket to mount the DRO display off the column.--This was no simple task, because the milling machine control box sets exactly in the position where I would like the DRO readout to set, and it travels up and down as I raise or lower the head of the mill, plus the fact that the mill will eventually set in a recess in the wall of my machine shop. I finished the dogleg bracket and painted it, and then I got to seriously studying how the heck I am going to re-attach the big rubber flap that protects the Y axis Acme screw. Okay---I have a plan--but it is going to require yet another bracket. And it involves an "edge sealing brush" which will ride against the aluminum X axis guard as the table moves left to right and back, to prevent swarf from getting down into the X axis reading head. I'm getting darn well tired of making brackets!!!!
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I lay in bed last night with my head on fire, doing what I do best--designing!!! I have to have a way to incorporate that 10" wide rubber strip that covers the X axis ways and the Y axis Acme screw with the new DRO system I have installed. This will work, and it should work well. I'm a little vague right now on where I will get the 1/32" nylon strip, but research should yield something.
                      Brian Rupnow
                      Design engineer
                      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Eureka!! I have it!! I can use a piece of brass shim stock instead of nylon. That, I know where I can get, and a sheet metal brake will put in whatever bend I desire.
                        Brian Rupnow
                        Design engineer
                        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                          I lay in bed last night with my head on fire, doing what I do best--designing!!!
                          When I lay in bed with my head on fire Brian, designing is not at the top of my list!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                            When I lay in bed with my head on fire Brian, designing is not at the top of my list!
                            You seem to have experience, does it happen often?
                            4357 2773 5150 9120 9135 8645 1007 1190 2133 9120 5942

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                              You seem to have experience, does it happen often?
                              unfortunately not anymore!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Jeez, Black Forest---i was 69 years old on Tuesday---when my brain is on fire now at bedtime, machines are what interest me most!!---Wasn't always this way though----Wife and I just got home from a 240 mile round trip to visit my mother (who is 95 years old and in good health). I had to immediately go out to the garage and fit my new dogleg bracket which lowers the DRO readout by about 8 1/2" from it's previous location, and puts the center of the screen at my eye level. I had to make that dogleg bracket such a complex shape because of the fact that when the mill is in it's final location in my machine shop, the back of it will fit into a 4" recess in the wall, and the bracket had to clear the side of the recess, and also clear the head of the mill which moves up and down. Maybe tomorrow I will bolt on the Y axis scale, set it up true and level, and start thinking about where to run all the cables and wires. I can't do anything about the rubber sheet seal between the table and the column until Monday, when I can buy some sheet brass.

Brian Rupnow
                                Design engineer
                                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X