Flash points of Kerosene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash points of Kerosene

I know that Kerosene comes in different grades, but are there different flash points making one maybe safer than others?

I use Kerosene as a coolant/lube in the shop, but I alsoused it for some of my past cars to flush the crud from the engine, but the stuff they sell do day has some alterations to them. Anyone know?

Jerry

That's a very complicated subject. Depending how it is formulated the flash point of "kerosene" can vary over a range wider than any other volatile fuel. Standard kerosene that you buy at the Home Depot has a flash point of 110 degrees. That means at a temperature below 110f kerosene does not emit a combustible vapor. Kerosene is considered a combustible liquid. Gasoline is considered a flammable liquid as it's flash point is well below room temperature.

There are types of kerosene formulated as various jet fuels that have flash points higher than diesel, the fuel for the SR71 being an example.

For the stuff you can easily buy it will all be about the same unless you are picking up some JP4 at the airport.

Kerosene is a relatively safe liquid to use in the shop and will not cause an explosion hazard under normal circumstances.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

100 degrees and you can burn it in a low compression engine. It will not hardly shut off. It diesels really bad, but pulls good.

People of the 40s used to use it in thier tractors, run a few loops around a exhaust manifold to heat it first. Crank it on gasoline.

The old "popping John" we have at the shop runs on dual fuel.

What you running? or wanting to convert? Are you afraid you'll go up in a ball of flame? It can happen if FUMES are generated. Fumes is what burns so well in a kerosene lamp.

David

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 06-15-2004).]

Comment

I was just wondering about using different Kerosenes in the shop as a cutting lube and coolant. I know that flash point once in a while is a concern, as that I am blacksmith, I know about flashes from using oil quenches.

Thanks,

Jerry

Comment

Working...
        X