Sorta OT - Wearing wedding rings in the shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorta OT - Wearing wedding rings in the shop

Just curious what your opinion is on this. I know workplaces typically frown on rings/watches/bracelets, etc but in your personal (home or work) shop, do you still wear your ring? I have kept mine on for as long as I've been running machines (only 4 months) but I also don't have a tendency to grab spinning end mills to stop a spindle.

I never take mine off, been 15+ years now.
    Andy

Comment

You're a fool to work around rotating machinery wearing a ring, wrist watch or neck chain.
      This could easily be the result. http://traumahand.blogspot.com/2012/...le-finger.html

Comment

I don't wear jewelry of any kind at the extremities or
        around the neck during work.

The tongue stud(s) and other piercings remain in place ...

Comment

I don't wear rings, watch, long sleeves, long hair, or anything below elbows in the shop. I have worked a lot of places and seen a lot of injuries. I have sweatshirts with the sleeves cut off short for when it's cold. They still keep you pretty warm without the sleeves.

Comment

My uncle lost his ring finger getting out of a 2 ton truck when his root slipped on a wet rulling board when trucks still had the little gutter above the door.
            "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
            world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
            country, in easy stages."
            ~ James Madison

Comment

I do wear my wedding ring, but I'm very mindful of where I place my fingers.
              Never near anything rotating.

Comment

My ring would not come off my finger for years..... finally worked it off in wintertime using grease, but I thought the end of my finger was going to pop from the extra blood pressure. Right now it will not come off, guess I have to wait for winter again.

So obviously, yes I wear it in the shop... no choice, really, unless I get a piece inserted in it (after getting it off the finger).

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

It was drummed into my head when I went into the shop NEVER wear anything on your hands. Nothing. Like flylo, I had a relative rip up a finger with a signet ring his mother had given to him. We were kids, playing tag. A large Maple tree with roofing nails driven into it was base. He ran to the tree and slapped it and took off running. Part of his finger stayed on the tree. I also saw a guys finger that he had been wearing a large stainless ring made from a nut, that got between a post on a starter and ground. The ring went red hot almost instantly, made a real mess of his finger. After over fifty years as a machinist and a mechanic, I still have all ten digits in good shape, partly due to observing good safety rules and part luck. If your ring is difficult to remove, just stick your finger into a machine, it will remove the ring very quickly.
                  Sarge
                  Sarge

Comment

When I got married my wife got me a ring to wear which I did for six months or so, just to keep her happy, when I stopped wearing it she was unhappy but she got over it. When my son got married I gave it to him a few months after that he was going down a water slide and got caught on something,he kept his finger and did retain full function of it. At one of the shops I worked in a guy came in to service the CNC that I worked on and I noticed he had a circular scar on his ring finger, I didn't ask about it as I thought the answer was plain to see.

krankie frankie

Comment

Wearing wedding rings (for men) is so thoroughly pointless why anyone would want to wear one is beyond me. They're not like women's rings with a big rock in a fine setting that you show off to your friends. Men's rings are ugly to begin with and just get scratched and beat and uglier as time goes by. They are uncomfortable in the extreme, either too tight when you're fat or too loose when you're skinny. Years ago when I was lighter I was always afraid my ring would come flying off when I threw change in the toll booth basket. I haven't worn my ring for years. I find rings (all jewelry) uncomfortable, distracting and also dangerous to a degree. If you take it off whether in the shop or doing a chore you have to worry about where you put it, will you forget it, will it go missing. Rings with gloves is always remember to check it was left behind stuck in the glove after pruning the stupid bushes.
                      Gary

Appearance is Everything...

Comment

I wear mine on a chain round my neck, which stays inside my shirt, Haven't had a machining injury with a ring, but was once putting a 4 wheel car trailer on the back of a volve (the trailer had a 2 ton Aston Martin on it) and trapped my ring finger between the ball and the ball hitch, crushing the back of the ring into my finger, it came off very quickly with a pair of blood spattered tinsnips, and now I dont do any type of work wearing any type of jewellry or a watch! It hurt like hell, and I still bear the scars.

Comment

"It came of very quickly" the RING, not the finger!!!

Comment

A few years after I got married (1966) I started to work at TV stations and at their transmitter sites where high DC Voltages with substantial current capability were common. I stopped wearing a ring at work and made sure that my watches had stretch bands. There are stories of rings and watches becoming welded to a Voltage source and the wearer being unable to get free.

My wife objected until I explained. I really haven't worn rings since. I stopped wearing a wrist watch when cell phones appeared on the scene. The habit has continued in my home shop. I still have 10 fingers and they are all functional. And the few times that I have been shocked, once by 40,000 Volts, I have been thrown free almost instantly. I have never been caught on any rotating tool or shaft and don't want to be.
                            Paul A.

Make it fit.
                            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
                              I don't wear jewelry of any kind at the extremities or
                              around the neck during work.
                              Same here.

Comment

Working...
                              X