• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hobart-miller trivia question

I have a 110 volt Hobart Handler 140, the cheaper Miller 140
    copy. It has a 5 step voltage control switch. Anyone know if
    this switch can be simply swapped out for the much handier
    potentiometer from the Miller 140?

Hobart - Miller , apples - oranges pretty sure Hobart has a 5 tap transformer.

Comment

Yes. I know nothing about either of these models, but a multi-position switch pretty well 100% indicates a tapped transformer. A pot could not be used as a replacement.
      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Nope, totally different on the inside. The hobart used a 5 tap transformer like duckpin says and, I think, the speed control is tied into that as well. The miller has a board that controls the transformer directly as well as the feed motor. I am not sure if I still have one of those boards around here anymore.

Comment

When I aw this I thought it would be about the urban legend that they are the same because Miller owns Hobart and Hobart is just Miller's second rate line which is not at all true, ITW owns both Hobart and Miller as the parent company and nether Miller nor Hobart owns the other! There are differences in models and pricing because the two branches are aimed at two slightly different markets with Miller being aimed more at a commercial type market while Hobart is aimed more at the small shop owner/farmer or home shop. This little bit of Trivia has raged for several years now and almost invariably pops up in any discussion where Miller and Hobart are both mentioned but they are competing branch companies within a parent corporation -ITW and NEITHER IS THE OTHER'S SECOND LINE!

These two brands do indeed share some some parts on some models just as GM cars shared parts between brands but that did not make Chevy the owner of Buick or the other way around, same thing with Hobart/Miller. Another interesting point about this is that warranty for either the Hobart or Miller branch of ITW is handled by Hobart/Miller electric which would be a rather odd name arrangement if Miller did indeed own Hobart!

Comment

Like you say, Miller does not own hobart, they are like plymouth to dodge, I high end plymouth is a low end dodge, still technically separate companies. Hobart are cheapened millers. Tapped transformers, cheap wire drive mechanism, and different color paint.

They do share a lot of the same parts with the same part numbers and when you order parts they come in miller packaging.

Comment

Go Blue in welders, Not in football just in welders.
              "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
              world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
              country, in easy stages."
              ~ James Madison

Comment

Thanks for the replies, folks. So much for that arcane brain fart. The Hobart does
                handle all my minor needs for a 110volt wire welder and the price was right.

Comment

Working...
                X